Who is Shabazz simular to?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
bleedspeed

Who is Shabazz simular to?

Post by bleedspeed »

I watched his draftexpress video and am trying to think of a player he is similar to.

Watching his game he could really flourish playing off Rubio, Kevin Martin, and Love in time.

If he improves his right hand and handle he looks like a guy that can fill it up in transition, hit from the 3, and post up. He will have to get stronget, but he has the frame to do it. He really did land in the perfect situation for him.

I heard comments about his oldman game. I have heard Harden and Pierce. I am not sure I see either in him.
carlspackler [enjin:6811627]

Re: Who is Shabazz simular to?

Post by carlspackler [enjin:6811627] »

Shabazz is very similar to this guy named Keith that pays in pickup games at the downtown Y. Thats about the best player I can think of
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I know Keith. That guy is a baller.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Best case scenario for shabazz might be former wolf Wally szczerbiak. Wally was an excellent shooter, very good fast break finisher and underrated post player. Like shabazz, his dribble drive game is not good, never really develop his ball handling skills. Both tested very well athletically at the combine, but you don't really noticed it in their games and they only show it once in a while.

Having said that, if shabazz approaches anywhere near the level Wally was with the wolves, then he will have a very good career and would be considered a good pick. Wally is the best sf this franchise has drafted in it's history so far.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Two thoughts had crossed my mind: a less athletic Gerald Green, who doesn't shoot quite as well. A poor man's Caron Butler.

I don't have a problem with the Shabazz pick. He's 20 years old and drafted for his potential. I seriously doubt he sees any playing time this year, but will have a chance to develop his game in practice (and perhaps the D-league).

[Edit: Dieng is the one who showed improvement throughout summer league and has a chance to contribute this year. ]
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

worldK wrote:Best case scenario for shabazz might be former wolf Wally szczerbiak. Wally was an excellent shooter, very good fast break finisher and underrated post player. Like shabazz, his dribble drive game is not good, never really develop his ball handling skills. Both tested very well athletically at the combine, but you don't really noticed it in their games and they only show it once in a while.

Having said that, if shabazz approaches anywhere near the level Wally was with the wolves, then he will have a very good career and would be considered a good pick. Wally is the best sf this franchise has drafted in it's history so far.

That's a very interesting comparison. I like the potential of having a post scoring wing in Shabazz and I had forgotten that Wally had a decent post up game. If Bazz can reach Wally status that would be fantastic, even if he isn't the shooter Wally was.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

It's a great question, bleed, because it's really hard to come up with a good comparison for Shabazz. I think world came up with a pretty good one with Wally. At the risk of getting beaten up here, I'm going to go in a different direction...although this one is clearly in the "ceiling" category.

Glenn Robinson. This comparison came to me mid-season last year when I was at Pauley watching Shabazz live during a very good game for him. Both were top 3 prospects coming out of high school and used their size and strength, combined with good outside shooting, to immediately contribute as a freshman...okay, The Big Dog didn't just contribute, he dominated as a freshman. Neither displayed great ballhandling skills in college or were expected to pass much. Robinson only averaged one more assist per game than Shabazz,, but actually became a decent passer in the pros. Neither was considered a great athlete, but both were able to run the court and score on the break. Both were able to use their size and aggressiveness to score on the offensive boards. And both possess a certain surliness on the court, and have a drive to be the best.

Robinson came into a situation in Milwaukee where he was immediately "the man" and averaged close to 40 minutes a game right from the start. As I watched Shabazz last year, I saw him as a top 5 pick that would also get immediate starter's minutes on a bad team and would contribute right from the start. Obviously his star has become tarnished since then, and he looked nothing like Robinson in Summer League. And with the Wolves depth, he will have to fight to earn 15 minutes a game. But I'm not giving up on my initial comparison. Don't lose sight of the fact that Shabazz is driven. He wants to be the best, and he was the best in high school. In college, his performance was mixed, but still he had the highest freshman scoring average in the history of the Pac 12. He has some work to do, but I still see his potential as a poor man's Big Dog.

I'm good at leading with my jaw, so go ahead...take your best shots!
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

60WinTim wrote:Two thoughts had crossed my mind: a less athletic Gerald Green, who doesn't shoot quite as well. A poor man's Caron Butler.

I don't have a problem with the Shabazz pick. He's 20 years old and drafted for his potential. I seriously doubt he sees any playing time this year, but will have a chance to develop his game in practice (and perhaps the D-league).

[Edit: Dieng is the one who showed improvement throughout summer league and has a chance to contribute this year. ]

A poor man's Caron Butler? Isn't Caron already a poor man's somebody else? Doesn't sound like a very high ceiling to me.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Yes, Cool. Neither of my comparison's were meant to be glowing...

And Wally could shoot lights out. Can't say we've seen that from Shabazz.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

Nick Young.