If not Simmons, who do we trade for?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
DNatagal

If not Simmons, who do we trade for?

Post by DNatagal »

So the talk has been all about Simmons, what if the Wolves go a different direction?

Scenario #1: Wolves are 15-5 after first 20 games, what do you do?
Scenario #2: Wolves are 10-10 after first 20
Scenario #3: Wolves are 7-13 after first 20...
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: If not Simmons, who do we trade for?

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

This basically ties into my post in the other thread.

Scenario 1: I'd leave the roster alone and reevaluate at the All-Star break. If the Wolves were 15-5 (.750) with the current talent in place, I think you absolutely have to let them continue playing it out. If it's not broken, then don't fix it.

Scenario 2: I'm probably making various calls around the league scouring for a viable big or better that I could add to the roster. One name that I think will be available this season -- and I've mentioned this idea before -- is Christian Wood. Houston has no reason to hold on to him and risk depleting his value as they're in the early stages of a rebuild. Part of what makes Wood an attractive trade target is his team-friendly contract. The Rockets could get meaningful compensation for him and he would be an awesome fit for the Wolves.

Scenario 3: I'd be aggressively pursuing multiple trades. A 7-13 record in which the first 10 were very favorable to the Wolves would be alarming, assuming that's with Minnesota's most important players healthy. Perhaps this is where you increase the offer for Ben Simmons more than you'd necessarily like given the current circumstances, but something would need to be done here. It'd be absolutely head-scratching to be six games below .500 a fourth of the way through the season with reasonable health. That would be a clear indication to me that the status quo isn't working nor will it work in the future.
Duke13

Post by Duke13 »

Totally agree about Wood, perfect fit for the Wolves, and yes it's going to take a lot to get him I'd think for the reasons mentioned.

I just bumped the Ben Simmons thread regarding this topic, and I stand by what I said previously in this thread, but I don't think the Wolves need to pay the price to acquire Christian Wood at this time. Jarred Vanderbilt has been very good and I'm confident that his insertion into the starting lineup has elevated the team over recent weeks. He provides a lot of what this team needs at the four.

Rather, I would look to pursue any of the following names:

Capable Starter:
- Moses Brown (Dallas Mavericks)
- Brandon Clarke (Memphis Grizzlies)
- Derrick Favors (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Alex Len (Sacramento Kings)

Rotation-Level:
- Willie Cauley-Stein (Dallas Mavericks)
- Xavier Tillman (Memphis Grizzlies)
- Robin Lopez (Orlando Magic)
- Moritz Wagner (Orlando Magic)
- Damian Jones (Sacramento Kings)
- DeMarcus Cousins (Unrestricted Free Agent)
- Harry Giles (Unrestricted Free Agent)

Unproven/Potential:
- Vernon Carey Jr. (Charlotte Hornets)
- Goga Bitadze (Indiana Pacers)
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Who can we get for Jake Layman?

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:Who can we get for Jake Layman?

Minnesota Timberwolves: Alex Len
Sacramento Kings: Jake Layman

Minnesota Timberwolves: Robin Lopez
Orlando Magic: Jake Layman

Minnesota Timberwolves: Willie Cauley-Stein
Dallas Mavericks: Jake Layman

Minnesota Timberwolves: Moses Brown, Trey Burke
Dallas Mavericks: Jake Layman, Jaylen Nowell

Some of these might need additional compensation one way or the other, but these would be the trades I could envision Layman being involved in. His salary could also be absorbed by the Oklahoma City Thunder for minimal draft compensation in order to sign a free agent big.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Wh

Why would anybody want Jake Layman?

He's not good enough to make the rotation now. And he was only sometimes good enough to make the rotation for one of the league's worst teams... and was mediocre at best when he actually played.

He's not good enough to make the rotation of a good team. And he could be had for even less money this summer for a bad team after his contract expires. He's not even that appealing super young raw guy who might have some hidden potential. He's simply just a random, not-very-good journeyman.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Wh

Why would anybody want Jake Layman?

He's not good enough to make the rotation now. And he was only sometimes good enough to make the rotation for one of the league's worst teams... and was mediocre at best when he actually played.

He's not good enough to make the rotation of a good team. And he could be had for even less money this summer for a bad team after his contract expires. He's not even that appealing super young raw guy who might have some hidden potential. He's simply just a random, not-very-good journeyman.

So. . .is Ben Simmons possible then?
DNatagal

Post by DNatagal »

The NBA trade deadline is Thursday, Feb. 10. The cutoff point is 3 p.m. ET. If the Wolves are in the hunt for more than the play-in tournament, will Gupta have the ability(and permission!) to make a trade to improve the team? We have all of our picks plus a couple extra 2nd's available. The Wolves are under the tax threshold currently. This is really exciting to think about what could happen in the next couple months.

Which team is going to have a fire sale? Hopefully it isn't our Wolves!

I've been kicking around the idea of the Wolves acquiring Harrison Barnes from Sacramento near the deadline. He fits the long, athletic, switchable player prototype that much of Minnesota's personnel has going for them. He can capably play both forward spots while offering defensive prowess, solid rebounding production, shot-creation, and reliable perimeter shooting. He's also under contract next year making just over $18-million at 30-years old, which looks to be a bargain at this point.

I can also envision Barnes in multiple lineup combinations for the Wolves that work really well in theory. Consider a five-man starting unit of Patrick Beverley, D'Angelo Russell, Anthony Edwards, Barnes, and Karl-Anthony Towns. Or consider Russell, Edwards, Barnes, Jarred Vanderbilt, and Towns. There's some real potential to cause even more problems for other teams there.

Barnes won't come cheap, however, so the Wolves brass would have to be willing to part with some attractive -- but not untouchable -- pieces. Here's what I'd propose.

Minnesota:
- Harrison Barnes ($18.4M in 2022-23)
- Alex Len ($3.9M in 2022-23)

= $24.0M salary match

Sacramento:
- Malik Beasley ($15.6M in 2022-23, $16.5M TO in 2023-24)
- Taurean Prince (expiring contract)
- 2022 first-round pick (top-16 protected)

= $27.5M salary match

Minnesota pays the price for what will likely be one of the hottest wing options on the trade market this year. Barnes offers two-way productivity and versatility that neither Beasley nor Prince can provide. Additionally, the Wolves acquire a capable big in Len that can spell Towns and Naz Reid with quality minutes. They also free up roughly $3.5M that can be used to take back more money in a different trade, or to sign a free agent that gets waived/bought out later in the season. The first-round pick would be top-16 protected this year, which essentially means Minnesota only loses the pick if they advance past the play-in tournament. I think that's something I could live with. This trade isn't necessarily splashy like a Ben Simmons deal would be, but I think it accomplishes a lot for the Wolves.