Weird double standards in sports

Discussion about general topics
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Weird double standards in sports

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

Somebody's gotta explain things to me,

Ray Rice got a standing ovation in Baltimore.

Ryan Braun got a standing ovation in Milwaukee.

Kevin Love is most likely going to be booed.

Lebron James got booed in Cle

AJ got booed in Minnesota

Is this a case of a case by case basis for every fanbase? Is this just some weird standards that sports fans go by? It's just really confusing to me
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Weird double standards in sports

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I'm not saying it's right, but each situation you list is easily explainable (except for Pyrzynski). For most sports fans, or at least the loudest ones, devotion to their team trumps right and wrong. So even though Rice and Braun did bad things, they remained loyal to their teams, and therefore the fans cheered them. Love and LeBron turned their backs on their teams, so of course their fans are going to hate them and boo them. Fans want the players on their teams to care as much about the team as they do, and when they don't, the fans always turn on them.

The AJ deal has always baffled me. I think he is booed only because nobody has ever liked him very much. Personally I have never liked him (and neither did his Twins' teammates when he was here), but I always cheer
for him when he comes back to Target Field because his trade helped our franchise. We got Nathan and Liriano (and Bonser) in exchange for him! I still don't like him because of his abrasive personality, but I always cheer for him because his trade was very good for the Twins.

And yes, I will be booing Love on his return...both because he turned his back on the franchise and because he's a jackass.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Because sports fans are rubes.

[Note: To be fair, the average person is a rube, sports fan or not.]
Monster

Post by Monster »

AJ probably likes getting Boo'ed. Lol I've stayed a bit of a fan of his even though he pisses people off or whatever he produces and wins. He has been a heck of a player at catcher over the years and maybe this is the year when he ran out of gas. I wanted to sign him really bad last summer but at this point even with a tailed off last few weeks Suzuki has been a fantastic signing.