JJ Reddick Podcast with Zach Lowe (Minnesota Highlights)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

JJ Reddick Podcast with Zach Lowe (Minnesota Highlights)

Post by kekgeek »

Im just about to listen but some highlights.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/6/27/18763525/zach-lowe-on-his-favorite-part-of-the-nba-season-player-and-media-relations-and-free-agency

Lowe: "Minnesota's up to something. Minnesota's up to lots of things. They've been linked to D'Angelo Russell. I think that's real. I have no idea how they're actually gonna do it cause they have no cap space, but I think there's some interest there."

Lowe (cont.): "I think... somebody in the league who I think is really smart predicted to me yesterday -- we almost kinda made a bet about it, like 'I'll bet you this' -- [min's] gonna trade Wiggins and they're gonna win the trade, and I was like 'what do you mean by that?'" (2/)

Lowe (cont.): "He said 'they are not gonna have to pay to get off Wiggins. It's gonna be at worst a neutral deal or someone's gonna pay them to get Wiggins.'" (3/3)

Redick: "It's interesting you bring up Minnesota. I know that... so, there's a few [karl-anthony towns] meetings with potential free agents, or free agents, that aren't public that I know about. I'm kinda hearing the same thing: Minnesota's up to something."
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: JJ Reddick Podcast with Zach Lowe (Minnesota Highlights)

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'm not looking at the payroll currently, but I wonder if Gersson Rosas has ideas of adding both D'Angelo Russell and Tobias Harris this off-season. Strangely enough, Minnesota has been linked to both free agents. We've been told repeatedly by reporters and Rosas himself that this roster will look very different come October. We've heard that Minnesota is up to something. Additionally, Rosas just feels like he'll be an aggressive move-maker here.

Well, dumping Andrew Wiggins, Gorgui Dieng, and Jeff Teague to bring in Russell and Harris would definitely flip the roster upside down. What a strong message that would send to Karl-Anthony Towns about winning too.

Let's say the price to pay for these sins (bad contracts) was a lottery-protected first round pick and Josh Okogie. Is pursuing Russell and Harris on four-year deals worth it to you?
worldK

Post by worldK »

Its nice to see the wolves being pro active for a change, even with no cap space. We need to see actual results though. I like rosas being active and exploring all possibilities. But ultimately, he needs to execute a move that will move the needle for us.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Basically that smart guy that lowe knows probably thinks the wolves botched wiggs development by bringing in thibs and butler. And others probably see ther same things as well. All it takes is 1, and it takes at least 2 to start a bidding war.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

worldK wrote:Its nice to see the wolves being pro active for a change, even with no cap space. We need to see actual results though. I like rosas being active and exploring all possibilities. But ultimately, he needs to execute a move that will move the needle for us.

I worry that he will make deals just to make deals because he feels he need to prove something.
worldK

Post by worldK »

crazy-canuck wrote:
worldK wrote:Its nice to see the wolves being pro active for a change, even with no cap space. We need to see actual results though. I like rosas being active and exploring all possibilities. But ultimately, he needs to execute a move that will move the needle for us.

I worry that he will make deals just to make deals because he feels he need to prove something.

That could very well be the case. Il give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he could pull off an advantageous deal for us.

So far I like the saric+11 for 6 deal. I like culver a lot and while he may be plan B, he still is a tier above the likely 11th pick in my view.

Still, rosas needs to make a home run deal. Being active is exciting, but actual execution and result is what matters.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

crazy-canuck wrote:

I have the same concern. We've heard enough reports to conclude pretty definitively that the Wolves are very active in exploring possible trades. And it's safe to say that at least one of those trades is a possible sign-and-trade for D'Angelo Russell. Redick's comment confirms that KAT is actively recruiting free agents. No doubt one of them is his buddy Russell, but Redick used the plural so we can confidently conclude that KAT is recruiting at least one other free agent.

I like all this activity. I want our front office to be active and diligent. But I also don't want them making deals just to make a splash or losing patience and thinking they have to score big in free agency or via trades this summer. I'm still preaching patience. I continue to believe the best path to contention for this team through smart draft picks, shrewd below-the-radar free agent acquisitions of players who haven't broken through yet and effective player development. The quick fix won't work in my view.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The Wiggins thing Lowe said is SUPER DUPER interesting. I'm still a Wiggins believer but that's also because I feel like it's likely we are stuck with him and don't want to pay to get rid of him. If some team basically just took him for free and we had cap space...it's a no brainer and most here would likely crown Rosas for it. Will they make a deal? I doubt it but now I'm wondering if there is a real chance.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:

I have the same concern. We've heard enough reports to conclude pretty definitively that the Wolves are very active in exploring possible trades. And it's safe to say that at least one of those trades is a possible sign-and-trade for D'Angelo Russell. Redick's comment confirms that KAT is actively recruiting free agents. No doubt one of them is his buddy Russell, but Redick used the plural so we can confidently conclude that KAT is recruiting at least one other free agent.

I like all this activity. I want our front office to be active and diligent. But I also don't want them making deals just to make a splash or losing patience and thinking they have to score big in free agency or via trades this summer. I'm still preaching patience. I continue to believe the best path to contention for this team through smart draft picks, shrewd below-the-radar free agent acquisitions of players who haven't broken through yet and effective player development. The quick fix won't work in my view.

I'm guessing the 2nd player is tobias harris. We've been linked to him and JJ would know because they are teammates
Monster

Post by Monster »

I listened to the whole podcast. It was pretty entertaining even without a few nuggets. Its worth noting both JJ and Lowe agreed there is more "noise" and conflicting information this year than in the past.