Wiseman and Edwards

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Porckchop

Wiseman and Edwards

Post by Porckchop »

Which player do you stand to get more out of while they figure out how to transition to the NBA game? It's the same principle if they never hit their ceilings. A 7 ft unicorn trumps an athletic physically ready perimeter player 9 times out of 10. You don't have to coach being big.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Wiseman and Edwards

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'm pretty confident the Wolves made a mistake, but I'm trying to be optimistic and hopeful. It's going to require significant patience, though.
D-Mac [enjin:19736340]

Post by D-Mac [enjin:19736340] »

PorkChop wrote:Which player do you stand to get more out of while they figure out how to transition to the NBA game? It's the same principle if they never hit their ceilings. A 7 ft unicorn trumps an athletic physically ready perimeter player 9 times out of 10. You don't have to coach being big.

Yeah, wiseman is the answer to this question (aka who has the higher floor)... my question that I'm struggling with is, assuming that we wanted to take a wing because it fit our "system", who decided that edwards was any better than Patrick Williams? Did rosas actually arrive at this through his and the organizations independent analysis, or did they just listen to consensus top 3 and say 'well let's pick that one, because the other two play the same position as Russell and towns and we'd need an actual real coach to be able to manage that'? Yeah, their first preseason games were night and die, so it got me looking at how they played in college... one was a good defensive player who wasn't asked to do too much on a good team. The other was an inefficient scorer who was asked to do too much on a bad team. Who decided that edwards was the top 3 guy? Because someone in the media just saw the shiny Ppg average and he's super athletic so it caught on? Bottom line is I think we'll regret passing on both wiseman and Williams. What exactly is edwards elite skill supposed to be? I think wiseman and Williams both have at least one, and it's defense... but we already had plenty of that smh
Monster

Post by Monster »

It's going to to depend on the player/s. Is Atlanta getting more out of Jaxon Hayes or Cam Reddish? To me it's more about the individual talent of the player/s not the position/s.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Drunken Dribbler 22 wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Which player do you stand to get more out of while they figure out how to transition to the NBA game? It's the same principle if they never hit their ceilings. A 7 ft unicorn trumps an athletic physically ready perimeter player 9 times out of 10. You don't have to coach being big.

Yeah, wiseman is the answer to this question (aka who has the higher floor)... my question that I'm struggling with is, assuming that we wanted to take a wing because it fit our "system", who decided that edwards was any better than Patrick Williams? Did rosas actually arrive at this through his and the organizations independent analysis, or did they just listen to consensus top 3 and say 'well let's pick that one, because the other two play the same position as Russell and towns and we'd need an actual real coach to be able to manage that'? Yeah, their first preseason games were night and die, so it got me looking at how they played in college... one was a good defensive player who wasn't asked to do too much on a good team. The other was an inefficient scorer who was asked to do too much on a bad team. Who decided that edwards was the top 3 guy? Because someone in the media just saw the shiny Ppg average and he's super athletic so it caught on? Bottom line is I think we'll regret passing on both wiseman and Williams. What exactly is edwards elite skill supposed to be? I think wiseman and Williams both have at least one, and it's defense... but we already had plenty of that smh

You know one of Wiseman weaknesses is his defense right. He has all the potential in the world to be great on that end but it was a major concern with him playing D in the NBA.

Patrick Williams didn't start in college. Not saying he can't be good but there isn't the best track record for non starting players in college being above average in the NBA.

Think you are massively overeating 1 game, in the preseason. Understand Edwards might not be your guy but it's one preseason games. Let's see 31 games of similar play before we jump off a cliff
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Sure a big has a higher floor but get are also easier to replace. I mean we have a unicorn big and its looking like we will be trying to hopefully make the play in tournament.

Its one preseason game guys

kekgeek1 wrote:
Drunken Dribbler 22 wrote:

You know one of Wiseman weaknesses is his defense right. He has all the potential in the world to be great on that end but it was a major concern with him playing D in the NBA.

Patrick Williams didn't start in college. Not saying he can't be good but there isn't the best track record for non starting players in college being above average in the NBA.

Think you are massively overeating 1 game, in the preseason. Understand Edwards might not be your guy but it's one preseason games. Let's see 31 games of similar play before we jump off a cliff

Think you are ignoring the eye test or maybe just have an outdated prescription... perhaps just a homer

Guessing you didn't watch Williams play, correct? Who cares if they started, he was on a good team playing behind vassell (for one)
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Watched plenty of Florida State.

Here is my eye test on Edwards.

https://youtu.be/31WAyqLBjow

kekgeek1 wrote:Watched plenty of Florida State.

Here is my eye test on Edwards.

https://youtu.be/31WAyqLBjow

I usually like your takes, so Not trying to rip on you... there was a wink and smiley face that apparently don't show up on here. It's just frustrating because we never pick the right guy and it feels that again. I have no confidence in this organization at all, but I can't stop watching lol
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Pundits, scouts, and analysts tend to gravitate toward the elite scorers, creators with physical specimens because it's generally stuff that can't be developed after a certain age or at all (wingspan for example). Edwards, Ball, and Wiseman fit into one or more of those three characteristics, while also showing some big potential holes in their game.

The problem is not all of these guys have the basketball IQ, discipline, or desire to reach their full potential, thus you end up with the Isiah Riders, Dion Waiters, Zach LaVines, and Andrew Wiggins of the world. Let's hope Edwards doesn't fall into that category, but if he does, no one should be completely shocked by it.