Maybe we could get Milsap or Ibaka after all?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
BloopOracle

Maybe we could get Milsap or Ibaka after all?

Post by BloopOracle »

Looking at the projected cap space for teams it seems like we have a decent chance of landing a big fish, with us near the top of dollars available let's look at the 9 teams with the most projected cap room. Mami and Boston are the only two teams I see in a better situation than us, where can Milsap and Ibaka realistically go besides those two places that they would get their max deal and win a lot of games? I see us as a top 3 destination this summer by default, let's hope we can take advantage of it.

Projected
Cap Space

1-Philadelphia

$46,444,912

2-Miami

$37,582,760

3-Minnesota

$26,262,810

4-Brooklyn

$26,005,923

5-New York

$20,871,015

6-Boston

$19,405,988

7-Dallas

$19,165,910

8-Indiana

$16,839,074

9-Orlando

$16,102,829

10-Denver

$16,029,901

11-Chicago

$15,991,094

12-Houston

$11,706,357

13-Phoenix

$(471,858)

14-New Orleans

$(6,815,132)

*perRealGM
60WinTim

Re: Maybe we could get Milsap or Ibaka after all?

Post by 60WinTim »

I almost posted these numbers a week ago...

Last offseason saw an incredible jump in the cap, leading to all sorts of money being thrown around by lots of teams. Not nearly as many teams have the money to throw around this time. The Wolves certainly could be in the running for some of these guys.

Everything about our roster screams "we need a big that has to be able to play PF". Ibaka, Milsap and maybe even Blake Griffin, would be at the top of our Plan A list. It will take quite the sales job to convince any of those three to come here. But we have the money to make it happen.

Ibaka is still #1 for me.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Ibaka has never been the best big man in any playoff series he's ever played in.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

60WinTim wrote:I almost posted these numbers a week ago...

Last offseason saw an incredible jump in the cap, leading to all sorts of money being thrown around by lots of teams. Not nearly as many teams have the money to throw around this time. The Wolves certainly could be in the running for some of these guys.

Everything about our roster screams "we need a big that has to be able to play PF". Ibaka, Milsap and maybe even Blake Griffin, would be at the top of our Plan A list. It will take quite the sales job to convince any of those three to come here. But we have the money to make it happen.

Ibaka is still #1 for me.

Exactly Tim, last year's wild spending spree combined with the upcoming salary cap being almost 5 million less than projected earlier has us in decent position. Pitching a max deal and being able to play next to Towns and doing what ever they do best because of Karl's versatility might actually be enough to get it done.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Ibaka is #1 for me too. Younger than Milsap, shoots the 3, protects the rim. I think those 3 qualities make him the ideal fit next to KAT. Great mentor for Gorgui too.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:Ibaka has never been the best big man in any playoff series he's ever played in.

I sure hope he won't be our best big man, either!

I like Ibaka because I think his skill set is a great compliment for our team. But I am not going to pout if we get Milsap or Griffin instead. ;-)
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I hope it doesn't take a max contract to get Ibaka. It might not be the best use of $s if does take a max contract. But that's up to Thibs and company to decide. Speaking of which:

Did anyone else notice Thibs comments about "everyone needs to examine the way they do things, from all the way at the top, to all the way at the bottom." I wondered if this was a signal to Taylor and a willingness to spend luxury tax type money...
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

60WinTim wrote:I hope it doesn't take a max contract to get Ibaka. It might not be the best use of $s if does take a max contract. But that's up to Thibs and company to decide. Speaking of which:

Did anyone else notice Thibs comments about "everyone needs to examine the way they do things, from all the way at the top, to all the way at the bottom." I wondered if this was a signal to Taylor and a willingness to spend luxury tax type money...

unfortunately with our history I bet it will...I could see Morey down in Houston pull something out of his ass as usual and making enough room to offer not quite a max but a competetive offer
Monster

Post by Monster »

A lot of teams can create much more cap space than those numbers imply. I'm more interested in hoping some teams dump some worthwhile guys (in one sense or another) or let them go and the Wolves can scoop them up because I don't think the Wolves are going to get the guys this thread is hoping for.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

monsterpile wrote:A lot of teams can create much more cap space than those numbers imply. I'm more interested in hoping some teams dump some worthwhile guys (in one sense or another) or let them go and the Wolves can scoop them up because I don't think the Wolves are going to get the guys this thread is hoping for.

I don't see any team that can create enough to offer a max that isn't already close in dollars and has a more promising team than us. Houtson is only one remotely close and they won't be able to do it either.

1-Boston-max and wins (very bad fit for Milsap with Horford there in my opinion)
2-Miami-max and potential
3-Minnesota-max and potential
4-Houtson- decent money and wins

then I see a clear drop in terms of combining money and winning/potential for free agents