What It Will Take

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

What It Will Take

Post by Lipoli390 »

I looked closely at the remaining schedules of each team competing with the Wolves for playoff position -- Spurs, Blazers, Pelicans, Thunder, Nuggets and Clippers. I don't see the Jazz as a viable competitor for a playoff spot at this juncture. Based on my review, I see each of these 6 competing teams finishing with the following win totals:

Spurs - 49
Pelicans - 48
Blazers - 47
Nuggets - 46
Thunder - 46
Clippers - 44

If I'm right, then the Wolves just need to win 6 of their remaining 18 games to secure a playoff spot. The Wolves can secure a top 6 seed by winning 8 of their remaining games. I'll be surprised if the Wolves don't win at least 6 of their remaining games and end up with at least 44 wins. The question in my mind is whether the Wolves can somehow grind out another 2 or 3 wins. If they can, then I see the Wolves ending up in 5th or 6th place.
AbeVigodaLive

Re: What It Will Take

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

lipoli390 wrote:I looked closely at the remaining schedules of each team competing with the Wolves for playoff position -- Spurs, Blazers, Pelicans, Thunder, Nuggets and Clippers. I don't see the Jazz as a viable competitor for a playoff spot at this juncture. Based on my review, I see each of these 6 competing teams finishing with the following win totals:

Spurs - 49
Pelicans - 48
Blazers - 47
Nuggets - 46
Thunder - 46
Clippers - 44

If I'm right, then the Wolves just need to win 6 of their remaining 18 games to secure a playoff spot. The Wolves can secure a top 6 seed by winning 8 of their remaining games. I'll be surprised if the Wolves don't win at least 6 of their remaining games and end up with at least 44 wins. The question in my mind is whether the Wolves can somehow grind out another 2 or 3 wins. If they can, then I see the Wolves ending up in 5th or 6th place.

I posted yesterday that the Wolves have 6 games (now 5) vs. teams actively trying to lose.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Thanks for doing the legwork here Lip. May be things aren't quite as dire as I thought, especially with the wins against the Bulls and Kings. We just MUST win these winnable games, because we just aren't going to beat the Houstons, Golden States, Bostons, etc.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Q12543 wrote:Thanks for doing the legwork here Lip. May be things aren't quite as dire as I thought, especially with the wins against the Bulls and Kings. We just MUST win these winnable games, because we just aren't going to beat the Houstons, Golden States, Bostons, etc.

I also wouldn't say it is impossible to beat the Celtics I mean we beat the Raptors without Butler.

We just can't afford a big losing streak
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Pelicans have the Patrick Ewing theory working for them?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Thanks for doing the legwork here Lip. May be things aren't quite as dire as I thought, especially with the wins against the Bulls and Kings. We just MUST win these winnable games, because we just aren't going to beat the Houstons, Golden States, Bostons, etc.

I also wouldn't say it is impossible to beat the Celtics I mean we beat the Raptors without Butler.

We just can't afford a big losing streak

You're both right. We absolutely have to win the winnable games -- the six I mentioned. And we can't afford a huge losing streak. Going 0-7 over these next 7 games would be a bad sign. So I'm hoping the Wolves can somehow get a couple -- beating the Jazz on the road and possibly knocking off the Celtics at home and/or beating the Wizards on the road. We're going to need Towns to step up even more. And we're going to need Wiggins to have a couple great games where he's totally focused on both ends and aggressive while also hitting his shots. I think Belly will continue to get more comfortable and better in his new starting role. We still haven't seen the best of Belly and I think his new starting role will bring it out of him. He is very talented.

Yeah, if we can get one or two wins out of the next seven, that might be enough to keep us afloat. But then we still need to finish strong of course. But damn, what a tough stretch of games.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

As much as we'd all like to see the Kings beat the Blazers tonight, that's not going to happen. As I write this, the Blazers are up 5-0.

So the game for Wolves fans to watch tonight is the Clippers/Nuggets game in Denver. We should all be rooting for the Clippers to steal one on the road against the Nuggets. With only 31 wins right now, the Clippers pose the smallest threat to the Wolves playoff chances. The Nuggets, with 33 wins and Paul Millsap returning, pose a major threat to the Wolves chances of finishing in the top 6, which is essential to the chance for a competitive first round playoff series. A win by the Clippers tonight would be a big blow to Denver's chances of overtaking the Wolves in the standings. The Wolves last game of the season is at home against Denver and Jimmy could possibly be back by then. That last game could determine the Wolves final seeding in the playoffs.

lipoli390 wrote:As much as we'd all like to see the Kings beat the Blazers tonight, that's not going to happen. As I write this, the Blazers are up 5-0.

So the game for Wolves fans to watch tonight is the Clippers/Nuggets game in Denver. We should all be rooting for the Clippers to steal one on the road against the Nuggets. With only 31 wins right now, the Clippers pose the smallest threat to the Wolves playoff chances. The Nuggets, with 33 wins and Paul Millsap returning, pose a major threat to the Wolves chances of finishing in the top 6, which is essential to the chance for a competitive first round playoff series. A win by the Clippers tonight would be a big blow to Denver's chances of overtaking the Wolves in the standings. The Wolves last game of the season is at home against Denver and Jimmy could possibly be back by then. That last game could determine the Wolves final seeding in the playoffs.

Well, the Clippers won, so now we are 3.5 games up on the 8th seed. We will need all the padding we can get with our upcoming schedule. Brutal!
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q12543 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:As much as we'd all like to see the Kings beat the Blazers tonight, that's not going to happen. As I write this, the Blazers are up 5-0.

Well, the Clippers won, so now we are 3.5 games up on the 8th seed. We will need all the padding we can get with our upcoming schedule. Brutal!

The Nuggets threw that one away. What a bad loss.

They had that game completely under control for the first 34 minutes and just seemed to fall asleep at the wheel.