Target Center Renovations

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
bleedspeed

Target Center Renovations

Post by bleedspeed »

Anyone else think we will regret the Target Center renovations? It seems like we would be better off starting over and aiming for a new building in 2022.
Monster

Re: Target Center Renovations

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Anyone else think we will regret the Target Center renovations? It seems like we would be better off starting over and aiming for a new building in 2022.

Chad Hartman last Wednesday on his show asked Glen Taylor about a new building and Glen said he would have preferred a new building but with the Twins and Vikings getting new stadiums he didn't think it seemed feasible for a while or something to that effect. his appearance on Hartman's show was an interesting pretty lengthy discussion that covered a wide range of topics.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

I don't see anything wrong with the building as it stands, and am totally against paying out tax payer money to fund these projects. Particularly with the NBA, when they are looking at an addtional 60 mil per year in revenue per team, over the next couple of seasons.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I saw for the Vikings moving to Arden Hills, but the Target Center is a dump. I feel like any money spent on it flushing it down the toilet. People argue that the Excel is new, but it is 15 years old and by the time we would ever replace the Target Center it would be over 20.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I saw for the Vikings moving to Arden Hills, but the Target Center is a dump. I feel like any money spent on it flushing it down the toilet. People argue that the Excel is new, but it is 15 years old and by the time we would ever replace the Target Center it would be over 20.

Why is it a dump? You sit in a seat, get some concessions and use the restroom. Don't see issues with any of the three. The only issue is putting a winning team on the floor.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

sjm34 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:I saw for the Vikings moving to Arden Hills, but the Target Center is a dump. I feel like any money spent on it flushing it down the toilet. People argue that the Excel is new, but it is 15 years old and by the time we would ever replace the Target Center it would be over 20.

Why is it a dump? You sit in a seat, get some concessions and use the restroom. Don't see issues with any of the three. The only issue is putting a winning team on the floor.

Have you looked at the seats lately? The thing is the Target Center primary tenant is Wolves/Lynx, but they have concerts in it and the place sucks for concerts more then games.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
sjm34 wrote:

Have you looked at the seats lately? The thing is the Target Center primary tenant is Wolves/Lynx, but they have concerts in it and the place sucks for concerts more then games.

I have never been inside Target Center but I have been downtown and seen it both in cold and warm weather this last year and man the outside looks uninspiring for sure.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

There's no way they could have been able to get a new stadium for the worst team by far out of the big 4 funded in a city that recently gave the Twins and Vikings new stadiums. People don't go to the games because the team sucks, not because the stadium is old. All you have to do is look at the Twins attendance with a recently new stadium. They were terrible for a few years and still haven't recovered even during this year when they were good. Renovations were Glenn's only realistic option with this level of team and the surrounding environment to upgrade the stadium and as long as they keep it from being a true dump stadium the attendance will only be on the quality of the team and not the stadium. Honestly every team we have should be doing this if they have the money because it extends the life of these arenas and will let the teams get the new stadiums they want when they want them in the future if they are spread out properly from a tax payer perspective. The Vikings had to wait, just like the T Wolves have to wait, just like the Wild will have to wait.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Khans, I think that is why you don't put a dime in the TC. Buy the time is is done the US Bank will be open for at least 6 years if you start moving towards it now. It would be time by then so why do anything now.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Khans, I think that is why you don't put a dime in the TC. Buy the time is is done the US Bank will be open for at least 6 years if you start moving towards it now. It would be time by then so why do anything now.

Because you don't have to wait until the place is a complete shithole to get a new stadium. They're putting 129 million (74 from the city) in the renovations which saves the city a bunch of money now compared to paying for a new stadium and it buys them probably 10-15 more years time until they have to pony up for a new stadium. Renovations are patches that make the existing stadium better for the fans while giving the city a better timetable to pay for a new stadium in the future. Why are you interested in forcing the city to pony up for a new stadium so quickly after they did for US Bank and Target Field? This way the fans get a better experience than having to deal with a deteriorating shithole for 5-7 years and they still get a new stadium in 10-15. It's the best of both worlds. New stadiums are nice, but they are way too expensive for the city to pay for 3 new ones in a 10 year span. This plan buys them an extra 5-10 years before they have to pay for the 3rd stadium based on your timeline.