Rubio seeking 5 year max deal

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Bruster

Rubio seeking 5 year max deal

Post by Bruster »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2130206-ricky-rubio-contract-latest-news-and-rumors-on-negotiations-with-timberwolves?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming

Sorry for bleacher report :(

No way he'll get max deal... if T-Wolves give it to him... I dont even know.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Rubio seeking 5 year max deal

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Rubio's agent is seeking the max. In other news, I'd really like to win the lottery. The agent's job is to get his client the most money possible in the best situation possible. I think all involved know that Rubio hasn't shown enough to be a max player. $10-12M per year is likely fair for both teams, though. Wolves would be paying for potential AND fighting against a crazy market that only continues to get crazier.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

What Rubio seeks won't necessarily be what he gets. It's one side's opening negotiating position.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I agree Cam's comment about the increasingly crazy market that guarantees Kyle Lowry $48 million over 4 years, gives Chandler Parsons a 3-year $46 million dollar contract ($15.3 million per year), gives Chris Bosh a 5-year max deal of $118 million, and even gives Jodie Meeks $6.3 million per year over three years.

I think a five-year max deal for Ricky would total around $90 million over the contract period. I'd offer a five-year $60 million deal now. Don't know if his agent would accept it. We could always wait until next summer and make him a RFA, giving us the right to match.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

Lip,
Thought you couldn't do 5 years unless it is a max deal? Thought longest non-max was 4 years.

If we pay Rubio anywhere near $90M, this club can fold up the tent, because the show is over. Even in bizarro world, he isn't worth more than the $10-12M people talk about here. Personally, as stated in other posts, even that is substantially too high. And yeah, I get it Meeks got $6M, and Hill got $9M, etc, but trust me...those teams will regret those deals in about 6 months as well.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Keep in mind the salary cap continues to get higher.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The massive deals guys have gotten and the supposed rise in cap really clouds what Rubio is worth.

Remember most of these first time big deals tend to be assuming that the player gets better. Remember when Memphis turned Rudy Gay's tour plane around with that big deal? They paid to keep him but also assuming he would also improve. Many here said it was a bad deal and well yeah it was but they were able to ship him off to Toronto who dumped him later on th Kings. Gay never improved if anything he regressed. His deal is almost over and to me he looks like a guy that would be best of as a scoring 3rd or 4th (or even farther down) wheel on a good team that needs scoring.

If Rubio improves the deal might not look to bad if we grossly overpay but he really needs to head in the right direction fast. Max of very near max would be hard to swallow even for me who is very high on Rubio with realistic expectations as well. If we have to pay the max this year might as well wait till next year and either give it to him cause he deserves it or match whatever offer someone gives him.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Hicks - I'm not sure whether there is a max requirement connected to the 5-year rookie extension. I've never seen that in any of the CBA summaries I've looked at.

Cam's point about the cap going up after this season is a good one. The upcoming new TV deal will substantially increase the NBA's revenue and, hence, the cap. Not saying we should give Ricky the max. Just noting that the individual player max won't be as big a hit on a team's overall cap after this season.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

Hicks123 wrote:Lip,
Thought you couldn't do 5 years unless it is a max deal? Thought longest non-max was 4 years.

If we pay Rubio anywhere near $90M, this club can fold up the tent, because the show is over. Even in bizarro world, he isn't worth more than the $10-12M people talk about here. Personally, as stated in other posts, even that is substantially too high. And yeah, I get it Meeks got $6M, and Hill got $9M, etc, but trust me...those teams will regret those deals in about 6 months as well.

Pek signed a 5 year deal
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

lipoli390 wrote:Hicks - I'm not sure whether there is a max requirement connected to the 5-year rookie extension. I've never seen that in any of the CBA summaries I've looked at.

Cam's point about the cap going up after this season is a good one. The upcoming new TV deal will substantially increase the NBA's revenue and, hence, the cap. Not saying we should give Ricky the max. Just noting that the individual player max won't be as big a hit on a team's overall cap after this season.

I read the other day that the expected cap after new deal (2016 I believe) will be somewhere around $80M. Even if this is true, I just don't see Rubio worth max money ($18M per). Even with the new cap, that is about the same % as Love got last season, and they are light years apart from a talent perspective. If at the end of next season, RFA status dictates $12-15M, then you look at it then. At no point this year do I flinch and give max money. Personally, I just don't see him improving the areas that need to be improved in terms of scoring the basketball.