Make a play for Stephenson?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Phenom

Make a play for Stephenson?

Post by Phenom »

If reports are true that Indy may not be interested in retaining Lance and that his market may be drying up quickly, what would you say to offering up Kevin Martin for Lance S&T? Would Indy take it? I think they would at least consider it at this point. They have many versatile defensive players that they could hide Martin with. I would take a chance on Lance learning from his mistakes and being a steal at that price. I hope Flip at least explores this.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Make a play for Stephenson?

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Yeah, I've been thinking about how we could possibly get Stephenson. I just don't think he'd want to sign here unless we went way overboard with the contract and he's not worth it to me, especially when I see Stauskas/Harris in this draft.

Big fan of Lance, though. Has a lot of KG in him.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

As a S & T for Martin I'd be all for it. If Love leaves we will need all the rebounding we can get and Stephenson probably the best in the NBA at that at the shooting guard position.

I do have some concerns with his attitude though so wouldn't want to give up much for him.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

KiwiMatt wrote:As a S & T for Martin I'd be all for it. If Love leaves we will need all the rebounding we can get and Stephenson probably the best in the NBA at that at the shooting guard position.

I do have some concerns with his attitude though so wouldn't want to give up much for him.

Far and away the best rebounding SG. Averaged two more per game than Gordon Hayward, the 2nd best rebounder at SG. 7.2 to 5.1
Monster

Post by Monster »

If Flip got Lance for a sign and trade for Martin that might be a deal that makes Love think twice about leaving. Lance is a legit young talent. It would also eliminate a bunch of guys from the coaching pool including Sam Mitchell so its a win win for some people here. If the Wolves got Lance they would need to have the right coach to work with him. Its a risk but it would depend on money for me. I think I would go up to 8.5 million not sure on how long. I won't be shocked if he goes for more than that to some team and he could end up being totally worth it. In a lot of ways he is the type of guy this team has needed for years. One problem I see is there is no vet leader on this team which could be a problem because Lance has always had some mental issues.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Martin might interest Indy. If they resign turner, then a wing rotation of George,Martin,turner will be very good and complimentary. However, I'm not a fan of lance on the team. The guy has talent but he may not be the best fit with Rubio in the backcourt and he has some attitude problems. Bioth he and Rubio are at their best when they dominate the ball.

I would suggest however that we make a 3 team trade if Indy is willing to take Martin for him. How about a 3 way sign and trade with Utah?

Martin to Indy, lance to Utah and we trade pek to Utah as well, in return we get Hayward and kanter.

To Indy. Martin
To Utah, lance and pek
To min Hayward and kanter

Lance is a better fit to burks in the backcourt and pek and favors is a good combo at the 4 and 5.

We get Hayward who will be a nice fit to Rubio and love and an upgrade over Martin. Then kanter can split minutes with dieng at center.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

world- It was pretty clear this year that we need more than just Ricky to be able to handle the ball and make plays on the court.

The only thing that doesn't make Lance a perfect compliment to Ricky is that he isn't a great shooter, but the playmaking and defense is what we need if we want to keep a Love/Pek frontcourt rotation. I don't care about the attitude issues because the guy just wants to win and we need some more chippy players on this team. KG was and always has been a chippy player and that is one of the reasons he was such a great player. I think if you can get Lance for 8 million or less, you take it an run with it. If you could find a way to deal Love for #1, you now get to pick between Jabari and Wiggins because of Lance's defensive abilities. You could either get Wiggins and be a great defensive team at 4 starting positions or you could get Parker to give you a got-to scorer while still being solid at 3 positions defensively (assuming Dieng starts because if Love goes, I think Pek has to go as well).
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

My new offseason plan if Stephenson is attainable would be to trade Martin for Stephenson. Then trade Pek, JJ, Bud and 13 to NO for Gordon and Ryan Anderson. They'd take Pek for Gordon straight up, but I don't think they give up Anderson without a good haul which JJ, Bud and 13 would be. Then we roll with:

Ricky/Gordon
Stephenson/Gordon
Bazz/Brewer
Love/Anderson
Dieng/Ronny

If we still have to trade Love then so be it, but Anderson would be signed for another year and he would fit great next to Dieng long-term. I see Gordon being a combo scoring guard off the bench backing up both Ricky and Lance. We could still probably add another PG via MLE. This team has scoring on both units. It has defense on both units. I think this would be a good last ditch effort to make the playoffs and keep Love here as well as give us a good pieces for life after Love in Stephenson and Anderson if it comes to it. I think I'm mostly intrigued at how good a rebounding lineup that starting 5 would be and how that would translate to wins.
northernhoops [enjin:9491634]

Post by northernhoops [enjin:9491634] »

I think we'd have to give up a lot more than KMart to get Stephenson
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Lance reminds me of Sprewell. I think we need the toughness and attitude on this team. I think this is a move you have to make if we plan to ride out having Love on this team. A good coach will make it work. I think Hoiberg could get through to him.