Draft prospects - Who do we want?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Draft prospects - Who do we want?

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

These threads will come and go throughout the season, but I think it is fun to see where everyone views our needs against how the prospects are performing.

Everyone seems pretty consolidated around picking a big in the upcoming draft. I am certainly not against that if we see our future PF at the pick, but I am also looking STRONGLY at Stanley Johnson. Here is what NBA Draft.net has to say:

NBA Comparison: Metta World Peace
Strengths: The first two things that jump out are his incredible football player like body and his competitiveness ... He's a standout with his on ball defense where he is able to use his huge chest to muscle any offensive threat ... But compared to Ron Artest, he looks like a much better defender off the ball, using his large wingspan to deflect passes and his big hands to snatch the ball away from opposing players ... Defensively, he's absolutely a beast, who could immediate play in the NBA creating problems for many NBA wings ... Perhaps another of his best characteristics, really rare in a 18 year old is how he plays to his strengths, never takes a bad shots, never tries to show off, instead takes what the game gives him ... He uses his big shoulders to get into the lane and finish with contact; underrated athlete off one foot, and he doesn't have any problems finishing with both hands around the rim ... He's a very good ball handler for a player his size ... He was a four until his HS junior year. He can also help the guards bringing the ball up and has strong IQ and good decision making ... Intangibles are where he separates himself from the herd, a sharp, focused kid who understand his role and wants to win, which is what everybody looks for in the league ... Doesn't have the length of Leonard or his offensive skills, but the right attitude will help him have a better career than more talented players ...

Weaknesses: The offensive side has to become better for him to become an impact player on both ends ... his biggest issue right now is his jump shot ... Not that he doesn't score, he actually shoots pretty well for his form ... The problem is that right now his shot is very flat and the release point is in front of the face which doesn't allow him to be consistent, particular when tired or under pressure from a contest ... In high school, many players contesting his shot are smaller than him, but in the league he will go against elite athletes that will obscure his vision ... Just a small change rising his release point 6-12 inches will have a great impact on his percentages ... Definitely something they will work with him on at Arizona next year ... Becoming a reliable 3 point shooter could make the difference in his career ... My other big concern is that he could have a Trevor Ariza kind of moment, deciding to be the best or second best player in the team where he will struggle a lot ... As long as he stays in his role (3rd or 4th option and dirty work) he can be absolutely be among the best at it ... His athleticism is cause of concern because he really struggles jumping off of two feet (needing momentum) and this really hurts him on rebounds where he has to work twice as hard ... Despite those weakness I really believe Stanley intangibles will give him a chance to be a valuable NBA contributor ...

I have seen him play a few times this year and have been impressed each time. While the Wolves certainly struggle with interior defense, much of our problem starts with our perimeter defense. We are a current team of paper-mache defenders on the perimeter. Now, this changes a bit when Rubio comes back, but he is not enough. I fully realize that Johnson needs to work on his shot, but for a guy not known to be a good shooter, his stats for both 2's (51%) and 3's (40%) are remarkably good (and consistent). He is a straight-up man child at 6'-7" and 245 lbs, and will be able to defend at an elite level very early in his career. I think the comparisons to Artest are very good from what I have seen. Love the potential of a Rubio - Wiggins - Johnson defensive team on the perimeter. And between them, they seem capable of scoring plenty of points.

Also like what I am seeing recently from Oubre. Started out a bit rough, but lately is shooting at a very high clip, and also has been rebounding the ball very well for a guard. Have only seen them play a couple times, both at beginning of season, but Oubre seems to be developing nicely and I am anxious to watch him play.

Willy CS - Love his defense....just doesn't bring enough skill to warrant a pick around where we will pick. Mid-later first is where he belongs.

I want nothing to do with Porzingis. I am completely done with these soft Euro's. Since Dirk, no one has really worked out.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: Draft prospects - Who do we want?

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Here is a link.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/stanley-johnson
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I would not rule out ANYBODY at this point, regardless of position. We aren't good enough, even with our "big three" available, to be overly focused on any one position. That being said, it is nice that a number of the potential best players available when we draft happen to be big men. I think if we get #1 or #2, it would be really tough not to take either Okafor or Towns. After that though, I agree, it gets fuzzier.

One thing to be careful about is looking at shooting percentages/efficiency in college prospects. This seems to translate the least reliably to pro ball (for example, look at Derrick Williams' college TS% vs. pro TS%). What I always like to look at is off the ball stuff, like rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks combined with "eye test" type stuff like physical profile, athleticism, and mechanics. Stanley Johnson is one guy who scouts are still skeptical about in terms of his shooting. That being said, he is awesome in those other areas - he's an absolute beast physically, willing defender, rebounds, gets steals. There is a lot to like there, even if the shooting doesn't translate to the next level.

Overall, this looks like a strong class of prospects. D'Angelo Russell is another non-big to keep an eye on. Hopefully we can add another piece, whether we draft top 2 or top 5 (seems hard to fathom us dropping out of the top 5 at this point).
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Q12543 wrote:I would not rule out ANYBODY at this point, regardless of position. We aren't good enough, even with our "big three" available, to be overly focused on any one position. That being said, it is nice that a number of the potential best players available when we draft happen to be big men. I think if we get #1 or #2, it would be really tough not to take either Okafor or Towns. After that though, I agree, it gets fuzzier.

One thing to be careful about is looking at shooting percentages/efficiency in college prospects. This seems to translate the least reliably to pro ball (for example, look at Derrick Williams' college TS% vs. pro TS%). What I always like to look at is off the ball stuff, like rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks combined with "eye test" type stuff like physical profile, athleticism, and mechanics. Stanley Johnson is one guy who scouts are still skeptical about in terms of his shooting. That being said, he is awesome in those other areas - he's an absolute beast physically, willing defender, rebounds, gets steals. There is a lot to like there, even if the shooting doesn't translate to the next level.

Overall, this looks like a strong class of prospects. D'Angelo Russell is another non-big to keep an eye on. Hopefully we can add another piece, whether we draft top 2 or top 5 (seems hard to fathom us dropping out of the top 5 at this point).

Agree here Q. We just need a good player. I don't care what position he or she plays. If it's a big, great. Just make sure this pick is an impact player who can move the meter.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I don't like the prospect of putting non-shooting wings next to Ricky. It feels like wasted potential with Ricky's passing ability and his play style of driving to the hoop to kick the ball out to the corners for 3's occasionally. I'm honestly just tired of guys who can't shoot (Wes, Johnny, D Will, etc.). Wiggins is a breath of fresh air for an organization that has just been terrible shooters outside of the top 2 typically. There's a reason our recent competitive play has spiked and it is because we are actually utilizing the 3 point shot. That opens everything else up on offense. We don't have our star stretch 4 anymore so our wings need to be able to shoot so we keep our spacing and maximize Ricky and Pek's games.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

For me, it's Towns/Okafor/Mudiay/Johnson. Those are the guys I have higher than most.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

#1 - Towns
#2 - Oka for
#3 - S. Johnson
#4 Mudiay
Are my rankings for the T-Wolves.

I see the two lives having a top 3 losing record but the NBA gods will have us picking 4-6.

I see us picking Johnson, Russell, WCS, Turner. In that order depending on what pick we get.

I'd be extremely happy with Johnsonor rRussell as a consolation prize. Not so much on WCS or Turner.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Camden wrote:For me, it's Towns/Okafor/Mudiay/Johnson. Those are the guys I have higher than most.

In that order?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Camden wrote:For me, it's Towns/Okafor/Mudiay/Johnson. Those are the guys I have higher than most.

In that order?

Yes, but I might change Johnson and Mudiay. Stanley would be a really good fit at SF for us, and would allow Wiggins to stay at SG where he has the vast advantage due to physical traits. I really do like Mudiay, though. I think he has star potential, but I worry he might not be as capable of a player off-ball. If Rubio's our future, I don't know if that would mesh.

And then I think about the defensive potential of Rubio-Wiggins-Johnson and it's even more reason for me to flip-flop those spots.

(I realize I may be higher on Stanley than most)
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I know we have the 2nd worst record in the league right now, but I still see us rallying after our 3 starters (and Muhammad) return, and ending up with a pick more in the 6-8 range...which likely eliminates us from considering Stanley Johnson, as much as I love his game. But I continue to think that Karl-Anthony Towns will be available when we draft, and I think he would fit in great with our current core. Why do I think a guy who has been in the top three in most mocks all year will be available at 6-8? Because his lack of playing time on the loaded Kentucky team is suppressing his stats...only 8.5 and 6.7 currently, and that should keep him out of the top three. Towns is a terrific 2-way player, and I think can play the 4 in the pros...his passing and outside shooting are that good. I don't see him as a starter in 2015-16, but in two years a starting lineup of Rubio, Wiggins, Towns, Dieng and whoever (Martin, Shabazz, etc) will be a formidable defensive lineup...far from what he have been forced to watch this year.

Russell is also someone to keep an eye on. The game just seems to come easily to him, and he also likely to be available when we pick. I mentioned earlier that he had a tendency to put up big numbers against weaker opponents early in this season, and struggle against stronger competition, but that hasn't been the case in Big Ten play...he's putting up big numbers. I haven't been impressed with his defensive intensity the 2 times I have seen him, but he has the potential to be a big time NBA offensive player...both as a scorer and a distributor.