Observations -- Olynyk, Oladipo, Burke, The Pope

General NBA News
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Observations -- Olynyk, Oladipo, Burke, The Pope

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Just some quick thoughts on these guys.

Olynyk - Was never high on him coming out of Gonzaga, but wow has this guy really played good basketball so far in the Summer League. Showing off all the skills whether it's in the post, knocking down deep jumpers, running the floor (sometimes leading the break), defense and rebounding. Really impressed so far. I feel like I usually have a good eye for talent coming out of college and I'm starting to think maybe I was wrong about this guy. It's just Summer League, but still. Good basketball is good basketball.

Oladipo - Dipo was my prized prospect in this year's class. Made it known that I wanted him on this team no matter the cost (outside of Rubio, Pek, Love), but obviously it didn't happen. Said he was the best player in the draft. Apparently the Magic think they'll use him as a PG though? I don't really like it, but Dipo has the work ethic and drive to do whatever necessary to be successful so if where they want him is PG, he'll damn sure work his ass off to be a good PG. So far in the Summer League he's looked just as good as I thought he'd be. The jumper looks like it's getting much better. Defensive intensity has been on point with the hype. His court vision and ability to set up teammates has been a nice surprise. Dipo being Dipo. Love it.

Burke - This kid looks completely out of whack. Looks out of shape and overmatched. Had a terrible shooting night the other night, but to his credit he did contribute in other areas of the game. I thought he was a good, not great, PG at Michigan and I expect that these first few exhibitions are a result of being out of basketball shape and rust so to speak.

KCP - His first two games were pretty bad, but the one he's playing in currently is going well. Last I looked he had 15 points on very efficient shooting. He might have more at the moment because he was in a hot streak for a moment. Early in the game he caught the ball at the arc, made a pump fake and drove to the hole confidently and got fouled. Very fundamental play but it was nice to see that he didn't settle for a tough jumper. Later, he played good D on one end, intercepting the basketball in the passing lane and taking it for a pretty ferocious dunk all by himself. Just a minute later he knocked down a mid-range jumper coming off a screen and got the foul call as well. Good game from KCP. Showing his strengths in this game.

Just some things I've seen thus far.
Jakapoo [enjin:6588675]

Re: Observations -- Olynyk, Oladipo, Burke, The Pope

Post by Jakapoo [enjin:6588675] »

Olynyk has really surprised me to. I thought he would do mediocre in summer-league, but he has done well.
They are only putting him at point guard to improve his ball-handling. He will not actually be the point-guard for the Magic.
Eh, I never thought Burke would be great. He can't physically keep up.
KCP can't have the offense put on him. This is really concerning due to the fact that they signed Josh Smith. Hopefully a lack of pressure could help him.
Volans19

Post by Volans19 »

Camden- I read somewhere that the Magic are just gauging Dipo's talent at the point and are going to try and see if he can be a combo guard. So far Dipo looks a little too out of control to run the point. It's going to be interesting to see what they choose to do with Aflalo, all they have at the point is Jameer Nelson who is ok, but they should definetley try and get a point so the don't stifle Dipo's offensive growth.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I have watched a lot of summer league action, and Olynyk has been the best looking rookie so far. He's not the most physical player out there, but other than that, he hasn't shown any weaknesses. Nice shooting stroke with excellent range, surprisingly good ball handling, and quick feet on defense.

Burke has been the biggest disappointment. Shooting terribly , and more turnovers than assists. It's early in summer league, but Utah has to be a little concerned about using two first round picks to get him.

Oladipo didn't shoot well in his first two games, but excelled in all other aspects of the game. His defense is extraordinary, both his footwork and his disruptive long arms. He is getting a lot of opportunity to show off his ball handling since he is playing point guard, and his left hand looks nothing like it did in college. He was so right handed at Indiana, but he is clearly trying to use his left hand in Orlando and at times actually seems to prefer it. And his athleticism is as advertised. I'm watching his third game right now, and while he isn't facilitating like he did in his first two games, he is shooting much better. Eventually he will be the best player in the 2013 draft.

KCP shot terribly in the first two games. His stat line was much better in game three, but I watched about half the game and he was largely invisible...no assists for the game. Siva is so ball-dominant that it is difficult to analyze KCP's ball handling skills. Despite his improved shooting today, I continue to think Detroit did us a big favor in drafting him 8th. Lipoli said on another board that he heard Flip preferred Zeller over KCP at 9, and if so, it makes me feel better about Flip's player evaluation. I think Zeller will be a better pro.

Looking forward to Vegas next week!