What if we would have traded Foye for Allen Iverson?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
bleedspeed

What if we would have traded Foye for Allen Iverson?

Post by bleedspeed »

With AI annoucing his retirement. I was thinking back and wondering if we would have traded for AI before trading KG if we would have had a chance at top 4 seed in the west, WCF final appearance, or maybe a trip to the finals? How good could have KG and him been together?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2693389
worldK

Re: What if we would have traded Foye for Allen Iverson?

Post by worldK »

Interesting that you brought this up. Personally, I was never a fan ofi iversons game. I respect him and he was a great and tough player, but as far as his iso and ball dominat game of shooting almost 30times every game, I was never a fan of watching that. Him ang kg could work but I think we eventually would have traded kg anyway since beyond kg and ai, we don't have enough talent to support them and the pieces don't seem to fit.

Iverson, great 1on 1 player, big heart and tough but questionable character and a guy I don't enjoy watching and a lot of players don't enjoy playing with.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

World, you captured my thought about Iverson exactly. I never wanted him to be on my team because of his ball domination, but he was the toughest player I ever saw. I was fortunate to sit in the Jimmy Jam courtside seats three times (better than any sports viewing experience I have ever had, but a little difficult to follow the game sometimes), and one of the games was against Iverson and the 76ers. He was by far the smallest and frailest guy on the court, and he took an incredible beating on offense and defense, but he kept fighting and hustling. I left that game with a renewed respect for him. An amazing warrior.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Yep I agree with what was said here, but Iversons love of scoring if he was himself would have fit well with KG. I'll say I did enjoy watching Iverson in that Finals run in 2001 with the Sixers. That was a heck of a defensive team and unbelievable rebounding team. The team was basically build around Iverson and he led them quite a ways.

Also if we traded Foye for Iverson we wouldn't have had gotten Rubio. LOL
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I think KG and Iverson would have fit together perfectly. KG was so unselfish and they would have played off each other. I wonder what kind of impact KG would have had on AI.
whatdtcom [enjin:6685945]

Post by whatdtcom [enjin:6685945] »

I've always been a big Garnett supporter. But one thing, at least to me, was that he was NOT a take over the game type player that dominated the game when it mattered (ie late 4th Qt).

So, to me. Even though it would have costed us a young Foy. I would have gone in on it. AI is a ball hog and a big contract. But that's exactly what we needed---someone not afraid to take those shots.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

The really big if with this would have been: would bringing in Iverson have kept KG in MN? You can say no Rubio now, but that also might coincide with making the playoffs the last 8 years (missed in 2005) building around AI and KG and then finding another option to go with KG once AI started to drop off. You look at the two of them and they work off each other pretty well with KG being a defensive anchor and would have been the best #2 scoring option in the league at that time with an elite scorer in Iverson. I think Dallas would have been very beatable with KG guarding Dirk and they were the representatives from the West that year in the finals (not saying we would have made the finals, because the rest of our team was still pretty bad, but matching up well with the Western champs is a consolation). I think in the end it is going to be hard to tell because I think we could've at least been a playoff team with AI which would have kept KG interested in staying and us being 1 other big move away from keeping him. Would you rather have the some of the last 8 years actually winning and keeping KG until probably 09 when AI really dropped off (unless we got another running mate for KG) or be really bad for the last 9 years with the potential we have now moving forward?
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Not getting Rubio is not the end of the world. What if we instead of Derrick Williams we landed Kyrie Irving or were just missed the playoff and picked up Paul George. I think having 2 alpa dogs on a team would make the rest of the team better.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Good discussion here. But I believe kg being traded would have been inevitable. Kg+ai is a nice combo but they would be paired with the likes of jaric,hassle,Davis,mccants, Blount. That's not a contending team for me and I think we would be looking to rebuild after a year or two of them together.

At that time, we just didn't have the right personell to make a trade for ai that would make sense for us as we don't have the depth, character or vets to be a contender even with that trade and we would be just delaying the inevitable rebuilding period for the team.

Interesting that a lot would have change if we made that trade, kg might never won a championship, love and Rubio might not make it here,.

I'm glad we didn't make that trade, kg for me is the best player this franchise ever had, but love and Rubio are 2 special and unique talents that I love to watch and glad that they are with us.