Is the starting 5 set in stone?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Porckchop

Is the starting 5 set in stone?

Post by Porckchop »

Obviously Rubio, Love and Pek have a handle on their spots but is sg and sf positions completely up in the air or is it a sure thing that Martin and Buddinger start?
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: Is the starting 5 set in stone?

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Martin will start. I am not sure who starts at SF. I would guess the order would be Budinger, Brewer, DWill, and then Shabazz.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Yeah, agree that Martin wasn't brought in to come off the bench...he'll be starting and expected to produce at least 15ppg. I see Bud as a valuable bench player, able to contribute energy and 3-point shooting at the 2 or 3. Muhammad will be brought along slowly, so that seems to leave the starting SF position to Williams or Brewer. A strong case could be made for either one, and hopefully a clear answer appears in pre-season.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I wouldn't count out Bud for the starting SF spot. It ought to be a good battle between Brewer, Bud and D-Will.
slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095]

Post by slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095] »

At this point, I would really like to see D Will take on starters time. It's do or die with him, if we are to going to try to raise his worth, his value, trade-value, whatever etc etc...this is the season to maximize this. If he can show he can play the SF position then its time to make that work. We have a strong group of SG/SF's with Budinger and Brewer, I know this a bit of a ploy, and may not be the best player in D Will to be starting SF for this team, but I am tired of not developing a #2 pick and paying him #2 money.

I think a dynamic and strong athletic starting group with:

Rubio, Martin, D Will, Love, Pek

then a bench rotation of:

Shved, Brewer, Budinger, Dante, Turiaf

Supporting cast of

Shabazz, C Johnson, Dieng

Just my thoughts on D Will. I like his athleticism, I feel with Love back and Martin Stretching the floor that he and Rubio will be am exciting combo of oops and rim attacking
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

60WinTim wrote:I wouldn't count out Bud for the starting SF spot. It ought to be a good battle between Brewer, Bud and D-Will.

Tim's right on this......and I agree with Slim, that this year is sort of a do or die year for D-Will. I mean, who, besides Wolves, fans talk about the potential of a player starting his 4th year?

Also, I like's Slim's lineups with the caviot that, depending who the Wing Other Than Martin (WOTM) is covering, there might be times where it makes more sense to start Brewer over D-Will (Say, if it is a 2 guard).

When it is put into lineups like this, it looks like we have a good starting 5 and a good next 5, with a decent bench behind them. Man, it nice that Kahn is gone.
slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095]

Post by slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095] »

Mark, Do you not think with the sure height of the starting lineup, and Rubio's ability to guard SG's at time...that we will be okay with switching Martin and Rubio on certain nights? Besides for Kobe, there really are not too many 6'6'' Sg with size remaining in the NBA. We are if Barea is moved.....a very tall team for the positions played

Rubio 6'4''
Martin 6'7''
Dwill 6'8''
Love 6'10''
Pek 6'11''

Shved 6'6''
Brewer 6'9''
Budinger 6'7''
Cunningham 6'8"
Turiaf 6'10"

Brown 6'5"
Shabazz 6'6"
Hummel 6'7"
Johnson 6'11"
Dieng 6'11''
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

What? There's no room for JJ on your roster? ;)
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

Slim, I that that you are 100% correct that Rubio can guard the other team's 2 guard at time and that our team's length assist in that. One thing that like like about our team, is that putting rubio on the 2 guard is not our only option. We can do that at times, and then against a differently constructed team, we can have brewer play the 3 and guard the other team's 2 guard.

If our opposing team have very effective players at the 1 and the 2, then starting Brewer at the 3 might be the best course of action.

And yes, i am ecstatic about the size of the team. I am also happy with the skill sets that we have put together. From our roster Adelman can put together a good defensive team, a running team, a good 3 pt shooting team, or mix and match as he likes.

For example Rubio, Brewer, Bud, and D-Will on the court at the same time might be "breadth-taking" (to quote a previous GM) to watch. Or Rubio, Martin, Bud, and Love all hitting 3s.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Slim/Markbbu - Remember that Rubio and Ridnour played in the backcourt together the last couple of seasons and Rubio rarely checked the 2, even though he is bigger than Luke. I think Adelman preferred that Rubio defends at the point of attack (i.e. the opposing PG) and avoids wanting him to chase around wings on the perimeter, especially bigger, more physical ones. So even though I agree that he could guard 2's, I think for the most part Adelman will keep him straight-up on the opposing PG.

As far as the starting lineup is concerned, I agree that SF is the only one with a question mark, and I personally think Adelman will either go with Brewer or Bud. I'd prefer Brewer so that it balances our lineups better in terms of offensive vs. defensive orientation. These days you really do need a wing whose sole task is to defend the best opposing wing. If Brewer is in the starting lineup with Love, Pek, Rubio, and Martin, he hardly even needs to touch the ball on offense.