Flip v. Lip

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Flip v. Lip

Post by Lipoli390 »

O.K., it looks like our roster is set assuming we re-sign Pek. I've had some issues with what Flip has done, but it still looks like a playoff roster to me. On the other hand, I would rather have the roster that I would have constructed. So it's time for me to step up and show my cards without the benefit of hindsight so that all of you can compare my basketball acumen to Flip's at the end of the season. Most of you know what I would have done by now based on my prior posts, but I thought I'd lay it all out in one thread for future reference. While I would have tried to trade up for Oladipo, I can't assume I would have been more successful than Flip, so I will simply identify the decisions I would have made based on what we know. Here goes:

1. I would have drafted McCollum at #9

2. Although I would have tried to trade up from #26 to get Dieng, I can't assume success, so instead I would have taken Gobert.

3. I would have traded both 2nd round picks for a future 2nd round pick next season.

4. I would have signed Kevin Martin even though Mayo was tempting. The extra $1 million per year for Mayo might have prevented other moves and Mayo has some attitude issues that trouble me. Martin is perfect for Adelman's system. So I agree with Flip on this one.

5. I would have re-signed AK47 to a 3 year deal at $7 million per year, which I think he would have taken. In his comments the other day he said the key for him was Flip replacing Kahn. He said before that happened he expected to spend the rest of his career with MN. I have verified that the real issue was that Flip refused to offer more than 2 years and the value of the Wolves to AK was longevity. Without longevity, the Nets became a more attractive destination.

6. I would have signed DeMarre Carroll at around the $2.5 million per year for two years that he got from Atlanta.

7. And yes, I would have signed Turiaf to the deal that Flip gave him.

8. Finally, I'd be trying to sign Pek just like Flip is right now.

There you have it. We'll see how the Wolves do and we will also see how McCollum, Gobert, Carroll and AK47 do compared to Shabazz, Dieng, and Brewer. Not a perfect apples to applies, but we'll have some idea in 9 months. Then you can all harpoon me.
Lipoli390

Re: Flip v. Lip

Post by Lipoli390 »

Forgot to mention, I would have also re-signed Budinger. So Flip and I were together on that as well.
DNatagal

Post by DNatagal »

You mean Kevin Martin....right?
DNatagal

Post by DNatagal »

And I think that either your moves or Flip's are improvements over anything that Khan would have thought up. Can we fast-forward to training camp please?
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Brave move, 390, but very confidently presented. Lays out a relatively clear means of evaluating Flip's moves vs. an alternative as the season progresses. I assume by Derrick Martin you mean Kevin. I know you have heard otherwise, but I don't believe we can assume AK would have signed here...but for the sake of argument let's allow it.

I'm on board as supporting Flip's efforts to rebalance this roster in an effective manner. You can bet I and others will be bumping this thread often if Flip is exonerated!
Monster

Post by Monster »

D'Natagal wrote:You mean Kevin Martin....right?

Nah, Derrick Martin is a stud. LOL Lip is a genious.
Squishypoo [enjin:6648839]

Post by Squishypoo [enjin:6648839] »

AK47 at 7M per year, That would make things really hard to get pek with the cap being very tight..
slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095]

Post by slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095] »

Lip, What do you see happening with Barea, or now that we have a lot of depth at SF/PF, do you see the Wolves moving D Will or possibly Cunningham?
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Slim, JJ is going to back up Ricky. I doubt he gets much time at the 2 guard position. I don't see any more trades this offseason unless it's a very minor deal. What you see is what you get now.
observerII [enjin:6598557]

Post by observerII [enjin:6598557] »

Dante didn't even get mentioned in Souhan's column about the Wolves' roster in The Trib today; also, he isn't even listed on the accompanying preseason roster. Maybe Souhan and the Trib know something WE don't.