Summer League-Game 1

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Summer League-Game 1

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I sense there is a lot of anticipation for today's game, although not as much as there would have been if a Wiggins deal had closed yesterday. It's a beautiful day here in LA, but I'll be inside with my computer watching the game at 3:30. It's probably appropriate to discuss our expectations.

I've already decided to view LaVine as generously as possible, because my expectations are low. If he plays poorly, I'm okay with the "give him some time" conclusion. But if he plays well, I may be taking at least a sip of kool aid. Convenient, huh? My expectations were lifted a little by the first-hand reports of Lip on this board and others on the rubechat board. It sounds like he played pretty well and provided some excitement. But my enthusiasm is tempered by a comment on rubechat that Zach had a tendency to stand around and get lost on offense. Lipoli refuted this comment and said that was not his observation, so we don't know which report is more accurate (I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to posters here :) )). but the comment was consistent with what I observed last year the one time I saw Zach live, and in several TV games.

There is no question that Zach is blessed with extraordinary athletic gifts. But frankly the jury is out on whether he will have the head for the game. Watching him on the court last year, and especially in interviews, I got the impression that Zach is not very smart...both in a basketball sense and overall. And Steve Alford was not able to coach him up, resulting in his regressing as the year went on. You can't coach up athleticism, but you can impart intelligence to a player to some extent. It will be up to Flip & Co, to do this.

But while I am ready to give a pass to LaVine today, the same does not go for Alexey Shved. Reports on Alexey in the scrimmage were not positive, and that was discouraging. We need a backup PG other than JJ, and I have been clinging to the belief that Shved could recreate some of the PG magic he showed two years ago in the Olympics. I also hoped that a former PG like Flip would recognize that Adelman had Alexey out of position, and could develop him as a back up point guard. If he fails today, I'm not going to write him off...but it will be a big negative for me.

I also expect Muhammad and Deing to play well. Early in SL we have seen many examples of 2nd year guys looking much better than their rookie years...KCP and Bennett, for starters. A second year guy has a much greater comfort level than a rookie as well as a better understanding of what the NBA is all about. Both Shabazz and Gorgui were horrible in Vegas last year, and then showed some signs of promise as the regular season progressed. I want to see that they have both improved...that Gorgui's new bulk helps him defensively and that Shabazz has been working on the gaps in his game, offensively and defensively. What they do in SL is much more important to me than what Zach and the Puppy do...I'm willing to be more patient with them.

Bring it on!
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Summer League-Game 1

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I'm not sure summer league is a great place for Dieng to show much one way or the other. He seems to do better in a structured setting as opposed to the helter skelter sloppiness of SL.

Shabazz on the other hand....If we trade Love, we absolutely need his scoring to help fill the gaping hole Love's absence will create. I'm hoping he comes in sharp, in shape, and loaded for bear. We know he has a nose for the basket and can get shots up. How efficient can he be? Without an effective outside shot, the answer is not very....

I have very low expectations for Shved and LaVine. Aleksey because he's already proven he sucks and LaVine because he's still so raw.

Prediction: LaVine will take multiple ill-advised long 2's.

That's a fair point about Dieng on the offensive side...a SL game may not be structured enough to fit his game. I'm curious though to see if he gets some minutes at PF, and if he is able to put the ball on the floor or hit the mid-range jumper with consistency.

But it's defensively I'm more interested in seeing differences. An extra 18 pounds now puts him at Love's weight, which is decent size for an NBA center. If that's accompanied by an increase in strength, he may have more success using his body to keep his man away from the basket. He was sick Tuesday, so nobody has seen this new bulked-up Dieng.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

LST, my guess is that we won't see a ton of Dieng. He got enough regular playing time in the back third of last season that he's proven himself to be a valuable rotation player. My guess is that we see him play two or three games and that's it. Shabazz needs the burn, as do LaVine and GRIII. Not sure how much Shved will play either.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Don't we only play 3 games?
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I like Lexi but I wouldnt be upset if he was moved. I think a vet pg is the way to go behind Ricky at this point. I hope Flip is looking at that.

Khans- I believe they play 3 scheduled games, and then seed brackets based on record and play on tournament. That would mean a guaranteed 4 games with a chance for more.

Phenom- I'm a big Shved supporter, or maybe dreamer. But if he could help us in a trade, I'd be in favor. As others have mentioned, Blatt has to like him after coaching him in the Olympics, so maybe he could even be a sweetener in a Wiggins deal.
Volans19

Post by Volans19 »

Shabazz time!
Volans19

Post by Volans19 »

Hello Zach LaVine!
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Shit can anyone tell me who starred in our first 12 points scored? I just found a stream now