Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
BloopOracle

Wolves/Clips: So we're not gonna play shabazz or a Pek/Dieng combo

Post by BloopOracle »

we're just going to do the same shit we've done all season, got it
kms789 [enjin:6694798]

Re: Wolves/Clips: So we're not gonna play shabazz or a Pek/Dieng combo

Post by kms789 [enjin:6694798] »

The Shabazz whining really needs to stop. He's a rookie. There's a reason guys like Turkoglu, Derek Fisher, Nazr Mohammed, and Jason Collins get minutes. NBA defense is more difficult than fans are willing to realize. It's about accountability and always making making the right read and rotation. Fans all around the NBA think their coach is a moron for not playing the flashy new rookie, but believe it or not, the guys who are playing in front of them have spent 5-10 years doing nothing but learning how to be better in the NBA. And they have all improved from the point they were rookies. Immensely.

Even if defense weren't a factor, Shabazz is leading all rookies in shots per minute, almost all from one location (the left block, AKA Love and Martin's favorite spot) where he hasn't been very efficient, and has 5 assists ALL YEAR.

Let him improve over the next couple years and chill out.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Pek is out the rest of the game. Surprise, surprise.

I wonder what the language is in his contract regarding number of games played?
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Well, it was a good run for Pek, but it sounds like his streak of good health ends tonight...out for the game. :shock:

kms789 wrote:The Shabazz whining really needs to stop. He's a rookie. There's a reason guys like Turkoglu, Derek Fisher, Nazr Mohammed, and Jason Collins get minutes. NBA defense is more difficult than fans are willing to realize. It's about accountability and always making making the right read and rotation. Fans all around the NBA think their coach is a moron for not playing the flashy new rookie, but believe it or not, the guys who are playing in front of them have spent 5-10 years doing nothing but learning how to be better in the NBA. And they have all improved from the point they were rookies. Immensely.

Even if defense weren't a factor, Shabazz is leading all rookies in shots per minute, almost all from one location (the left block, AKA Love and Martin's favorite spot) where he hasn't been very efficient, and has 5 assists ALL YEAR.

Let him improve over the next couple years and chill out.

I'm going to keep whining, kms, because it is absurd that Adelman has given so little time to our first round draft choices. You're right that rookies need to learn the game before they can become good contributors, but smart coaches know that they learn the game by playing, and they give them meaningful minutes. I posted a thread about 2 months ago that documented playing time for all non-injured 1st round rookies this year, and Dieng and Muhammad were at the very bottom. Adelman is a complete outlier in this, as all other coaches gave significant minutes to their rookies. And to make it more absurd, when he finally got them on the court, our two guys outplayed most of the rookies who were getting all those minutes. Dieng put up a steady string of double doubles once Adelman was forced to play him, and no other rookie has scored more points per minute than Shabazz...on 43 % shooting, better than most of the other rookies. Adelman killed this season for us with his pig-headedness, and deserves to be ripped.
kms789 [enjin:6694798]

Post by kms789 [enjin:6694798] »

OKC didn't play Lamb or Reggie Jackson their rookie years. Houston didn't play Terrence Jones his rookie year. Patty Mills didn't play in San Antonio until this year. It happens everywhere. Rookies need to improve.

Seeing him every single day, Adelman has a better idea of what Shabazz needs to work on than you do. And if you watched Gorgui play during Summer League and Preseason, it would only serve as a testament that you CAN improve while not playing.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

kms789 wrote:OKC didn't play Lamb or Reggie Jackson their rookie years. Houston didn't play Terrence Jones his rookie year. Patty Mills didn't play in San Antonio until this year. It happens everywhere. Rookies need to improve.

Seeing him every single day, Adelman has a better idea of what Shabazz needs to work on than you do. And if you watched Gorgui play during Summer League and Preseason, it would only serve as a testament that you CAN improve while not playing.

I saw Shabazz keep playoff hopes against Phoenix, only for Adelman to pull those minutes back to DNP-CD, one after another. So yes, I'll question Adelman's "idea" about these two rookies. He's had his head up his ass all year long.

kms789 wrote:OKC didn't play Lamb or Reggie Jackson their rookie years. Houston didn't play Terrence Jones his rookie year. Patty Mills didn't play in San Antonio until this year. It happens everywhere. Rookies need to improve.

Let's talk about this year, not the past...Adelman was way out of line with the rest of the coaches in the league this year when it came to playing their rookies. Look at Anthony Bennett. Did he need seasoning? I guess...he missed his first 20 shots of the season. But Cleveland kept running him out there anyway. And it was the same story with every other coach in the league. So, as Wolves fans we need to make a decision...whose strategy in playing rookies is the right one? Adelman's, or every other coach. I'm going to go with the majority on this one, and keep whining about Adelman.

That said, you make a valid point about Dieng improving while sitting on the bench, because he was terrible in Summer League. But I would argue that he still would have had plenty of time to improve by watching even if Rick had given him 20 minutes, and likely would have benefited by getting some live experience too.

I think Adelman's rookie strategy is indefensible.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

Camden wrote:

I saw Shabazz keep playoff hopes against Phoenix, only for Adelman to pull those minutes back to DNP-CD, one after another. So yes, I'll question Adelman's "idea" about these two rookies. He's had his head up his ass all year long.

one good game? come on
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Wouldn't it be nice having a back up PG like Collison?