Da Bigger One - Wolves at Lakers GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Da Bigger One - Wolves at Lakers GDT

Post by 60WinTim »

Sorry, I just can't wait for ItsJustSoSab to drag his lazy ass over here and start the most important GDT of the season! But if I jinx the game and we lose, maybe he'll get over here to start the next GDT (e.g. "Da Biggest One")...

Did anyone figure out if 2-way players are available for the play-in since it's not technically the playoffs?

I saw a report that Schroder is not on the injury report, so he should be playing. Bummer, because he's usually a pretty impactful player for them.

No Gobert and McDaniels (and Naz), but I still expect a close game. Edwards and Towns can be a pretty good one-two punch, especially if they are both "on". Of course, it wouldn't be a surprise if the TimberLakers (Dlo, Bealey and Vando) bring it.

Let's go!
Last edited by 60WinTim on Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Da Bigger One

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

It would be an anomaly if the Lakers did NOT have a significant advantage from the free throw line in this one.

- They are +12 per game (FTA) over the past 30 games. For the season... the Kings were #2 at +2.1 FTA per game. That's an insane difference.
- The Lakers give up the fewest FTA in the league.
- Minnesota gives up the 2nd most FTA in the league.

Minnesota is incredibly foul prone, even without Jaden McDaniels (2nd in league for fouls). The entire game centers on K. Towns trying to stay out of foul trouble. We all know how foul prone he is... especially in his special knack for picking up cheap offensive fouls.

As with every Towns game... the O/U for offensive fouls is +1.5.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Yep, the free throws are a key factor. A quick look at the box scores tells me the Lakers took 22 more free throws than we did in our 3 games this season...that's a lot to make up.

Yeah Tim, Schroder's availability is unfortunate...he was one of the main reasons the Lakers beat us in that last game. Finchie did a great job of isolating Conley when DLo tried to "guard" him...Conley ended up with 25 points in only 32 minutes...and we led by 10 at halftime. But Schroder's hassling defense on Conley was a major reason they outscored us by 22 in the second half. I was hoping Dennis would be out again and Conley would have DLo on him for 36 minutes. Oh well, maybe at least Schroder is still a little hampered by his Achilles and his defense is less disruptive.

Lakers are an 8 1/2 point favorite, and with our two terrific interior defenders plus Naz Reid out, that seems about right. A lot of things are going to have to go right to have a chance in this one. Some solace that we still have Friday though, and Rudy likely will be healthier by then. I'm still predicting a playoff series against the Nuggets.
ItsJustSoSab

Post by ItsJustSoSab »

Looking forward to the game! Clearly Tim is as well, with his impatience with the GT :lol: My lazy ass is here! Let's Go Wolves!
FNG

Post by FNG »

ItsJustSoSab wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:34 pm Looking forward to the game! Clearly Tim is as well, with his impatience with the GT :lol: My lazy ass is here! Let's Go Wolves!

No lazy ass stuff for the second play in game Friday or the first playoff game against Memphis (whichever comes first!), Sab! We can't be slacking off at this critical time.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I see from an Alan Horton picture tweet that both Garza and Ryan participated in the morning shootaround. I assume that means they are available. With McKnuckes out, Ryan might be useful.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

FNG wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:44 am Yep, the free throws are a key factor. A quick look at the box scores tells me the Lakers took 22 more free throws than we did in our 3 games this season...that's a lot to make up.

Yeah Tim, Schroder's availability is unfortunate...he was one of the main reasons the Lakers beat us in that last game. Finchie did a great job of isolating Conley when DLo tried to "guard" him...Conley ended up with 25 points in only 32 minutes...and we led by 10 at halftime. But Schroder's hassling defense on Conley was a major reason they outscored us by 22 in the second half. I was hoping Dennis would be out again and Conley would have DLo on him for 36 minutes. Oh well, maybe at least Schroder is still a little hampered by his Achilles and his defense is less disruptive.

Lakers are an 8 1/2 point favorite, and with our two terrific interior defenders plus Naz Reid out, that seems about right. A lot of things are going to have to go right to have a chance in this one. Some solace that we still have Friday though, and Rudy likely will be healthier by then. I'm still predicting a playoff series against the Nuggets.

The rub is that Dennis Schroder is not even a great defender.

But in big games, players tend to play harder with more effort and intensity. In the regular season, it can almost be jarring to see one guy play like that (see Schroder in that last game vs. MN). But I'd expect whoever is on the court to play with incredible intensity in this "win and you're in" game.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

When I go to ESPN Gamecast, it shows:

Gobert - Out
McDaniels - Out
Nowell - Doubtful
Towns - Doubtful

WTF is wrong with Towns now? Oh man. On the Laker's side:

Davis, DLO and Bron all listed as "doubtful".

It's shaping up to be a B-Squad game.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Carlos Danger wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:58 pm When I go to ESPN Gamecast, it shows:

Gobert - Out
McDaniels - Out
Nowell - Doubtful
Towns - Doubtful

10-1 they all play. It's mind games...
FNG

Post by FNG »

Carlos Danger wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:58 pm When I go to ESPN Gamecast, it shows:

Gobert - Out
McDaniels - Out
Nowell - Doubtful
Towns - Doubtful

Anthony, the ESPN Gamecast injury update is not always up to date...go to the full injury report on ESPN. You'll see that all the Lakers are "probable". and Towns is "questionable" with his calf. I'm wondering if we're perhaps going to rest KAT (along with the phony Gobert suspension) to have our two bigs more ready for Friday.
Last edited by FNG on Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.