2023-4 ROY race

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

2023-4 ROY race

Post by FNG »

With Scoot Henderson not looking very good in the first two weeks, this looks like a 2-man race of 7 footers. Vegas has Wemby as the favorite, but Holmgren has been even better so far. I'll be cheering for the Minnesota boy.
AbeVigodaLive

Re: 2023-4 ROY race

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Both are playing incredibly well.

But there's already a narrative with Wembanyama. It's his to lose to injury.

Everybody realizes Wemby is going to be an all-time monster.

[Note: But damn. I think even some Chet fans didn't see this sort of offensive breakout. I sort of saw him as a 15-18 point guy even in his prime who would be an advanced ratings darling.]
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Why the hell do these elite unicorn prospects always end up in the Western Conference!? Sick and tired of it!

If everyone in the West stays reasonably healthy, it is going to be an absolute dogfight to secure a top 4 playoff position with 11 teams that could have a reasonable shot at it, including the Wolves. OKC should be taken very seriously if SGA can stay healthy. That team is legit now.

My hope is that some of these teams that are heavily relying on aging stars - Lakers, Phoenix, Clippers - eventually flame out with injury issues.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I'm surprised a bit by how good Chet is already. Good for him, but Wemby is sick.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:07 am Why the hell do these elite unicorn prospects always end up in the Western Conference!? Sick and tired of it!

If everyone in the West stays reasonably healthy, it is going to be an absolute dogfight to secure a top 4 playoff position with 11 teams that could have a reasonable shot at it, including the Wolves. OKC should be taken very seriously if SGA can stay healthy. That team is legit now.

My hope is that some of these teams that are heavily relying on aging stars - Lakers, Phoenix, Clippers - eventually flame out with injury issues.
I am pro-West, so happy our conference gets Wemby and Chet. I think Wolves are a top two team in West as long as they stay healthy. Suns and Clippers are reliant on injury plagued older stars with little depth. You could pretty much say same about Lakers. Denver with a healthy Jokic is going to be the favorites but I think they are beatable without Brown and Murray and Porter have a history of battling injuries and after a long year last year, the wear might affect them. Warriors seem past their prime and their depth has been depleted. Memphis is terrible and won't make playoffs. I think OKC gets their spot but OKC is too young to be among the topdogs yet. San Antonio is not ready. I think Wolves are more talented than Dallas and Sacramento. I think the West is an easier road than having to get through Boston who I think is the best team in the NBA and Milwaukee. Wolves vs. Boston tonight could be a finals preview or I could be just foolishly homeroptimistic.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Both tall rookies are going to be great, but the advanced stats have Chet far ahead through the first two weeks. Check it out:

Chet:

ORtg: 135 DRtg: 109
VORP: .4
BPM: 6.4
True shooting: 79%!

Victor:

ORtg: 101 DRtg: 109
VORP: .1
BPM: -0.5
True shooting: 58%

Wemby will continue to be the favorite as Abe says, but the advanced stats strongly favor Chet to date.
Monster

Post by Monster »

My biggest takeaway was realizing the massive lineup that the Spurs have been starting including board favorite Zach Collins starting next Wemby.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:07 am Why the hell do these elite unicorn prospects always end up in the Western Conference!? Sick and tired of it!

Don’t worry in a couple of years the wolves will be in the East
WallyBall

Post by WallyBall »

Ausar Thompson deserves a couple votes
FNG

Post by FNG »

We're halfway through the season, and little has changed in the ROY race...Wemby continues to lead in the raw stats, and Chet dominates the advanced stats. I think we all know where this is going...the buzz around Wemby and his better raw stats are going to make him ROY. NBA.com has had him first the past four weeks. I think it's the wrong call though, because there is no question who has been the more effective player this year. But in addition to reputation, Wemby has the advantage of playing on a bad team...they need his offense so he is a focal point of it, while OkC doesn't really need Chet's. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, especially since Chet is almost two years older. But I'm a homer and don't like to see "one of us" get screwed.

None of this changes my opinion that Wemby will have the better career...but that's not what the ROY award is supposed to be about.