Game Report - Wolves v. Celtics

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Game Report - Wolves v. Celtics

Post by Lipoli390 »

Just got home. Wow, what a game. I can’t remember having more fun at a Wolves game than I had tonight. Another big crowd - unusually big for a Monday night against a team not called the Lakers. The crowd was in it start to finish.

Gupta was sitting right in front of me. Sitting in front of him was JMac’s mom. She’s come to all the home games so far this season in the same seat two rows directly in front of of me. Gupta’s a quiet guy, but in overtime, he was on his feet pumping his fist. It was fun to see. JMac’s mom is delightful. She was high-fiving people in her row she didn’t know. On the last play in regulation when Horford fell out of bounds, she came up to our row holding her chest and expressing relief.

As for the Wolves play on the court, it was a gritty, big-time win against the best team in the NBA. The team’s defense was tremendous again tonight against a high-scoring undefeated Celtics team.

Obviously, the main story was Edwards and his 38 points. I haven’t looked at the box score to see his other stats, but there’s no need for that. The fact is that he carried the team early and then put the team on his shoulders and took them across the finish line in the end. His defense was also outstanding. This was Ant as our Kobe, Dwayne Wade or MJ. You also had to love the way Jaden stepped up tonight with his 20 points to go along with his outstanding defense. Jaden has a beautiful shot from both behind the arc and mid-range. The way Ant and Jaden worked together down the stretch was a view into the future of this franchise. It was a joy to watch Ant draw the defense and then find Jaden with some really nice passes that Jaden converted with his beautiful looking jump shot. Those two form our MJ/Scottie combo. (Relax, I’m not saying either one is as good as MJ or Scottie. You all get the point). :).

Mike Conley once again asserted his veteran leadership on the court and the sideline. He steadied the team in the 4th and overtime when the team seemed a bit frazzled. He was very vocal with his teammates.

Then how about NAW? Once again his defense was terrific. But tonight he also hit some big shots.

Rudy was Rudy — Great defense, while scoring efficiently on lobs and put-backs but he was a train wreck on the foul line to the point where the Celtics employed the “hack-a-Rudy” strategy and it worked. Good thing they didn’t do more of it.

To stay positive, I won’t say much about KAT. He was absolutely horrible tonight. His shooting was terrible and so was his decision-making. His play tonight was Exhibit A for those who see him as a low IQ player. To be fair, KAT played well defensively tonight. That’s something he’s done every game so far this season and it’s a breakthrough positive development for this team. In spite of Rudy’s poor foul shooting, tonight’s game in isolation was one of those nights where the “which big to trade debate” would certain favor trading KAT over Rudy. But enough about KAT. Everything else was positive tonight.

Naz did his part as well. I was surprised he wasn’t on the court in overtime, but his earlier contributions were critical to tonight’s win.

I like the chemistry on this team. Everyone was engaged on the bench supporting their teammates on the court. There’s an obvious sense of joy they seem to have playing the game and pulling for one another. The team is starting to forge an identity as a high energy defensive team that can also score with a star in Edwards who can carry them when needed.

I’m still concerned that this team continues to get crushed by opponents on getting to loose balls. That was a problem last season and it’s every bit as bad so far this season. Some of it is the fact that we don’t have a lot of speed and agility on the court. Rudy, KAT and Slo Mo give on the court together means that 3 of our 5 players are slow-footed by today’s NBA standards. That doesn’t lend itself to winning the 50-50 ball or loose-ball battle very often. It doesn’t get better with Shake Milton on the court. It might be something we’ll just have to live with. The front office decided to go for size at the expense of speed. So we need to dominate the boards, minimize turnovers, and defend the way we’ve been defending. But I’ll say we’re much better getting to loose balls with Naz on the court in place of either KAT or Rudy. I’ll leave it at that.

Again, a fun game and great win. Tonight was a great sign for this team. However, how this team performs Wednesday night at home against Indiana might be more telling. The Pacers are a good team, but the Wolves should beat them especially playing at home. The Wolves can’t have a letdown Wednesday night. I’m still not sure whether this team is a 44-win team or a 54-win team. Following tonight’s win with a victory over the Pacers Wednesday night will keep the needle moving towards the bigger number. And that’s a wrap. Good night.
kekgeek

Re: Game Report - Wolves v. Celtics

Post by kekgeek »

Lipoli390 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:42 pm Just got home. Wow, what a game. I can’t remember having more fun at a Wolves game than I had tonight. Another big crowd - unusually big for a Monday night against a team not called the Lakers. The crowd was in it start to finish.

Gupta was sitting right in front of me. Sitting in front of him was JMac’s mom. She’s come to all the home games so far this season in the same seat two rows directly in front of of me. Gupta’s a quiet guy, but in overtime, he was on his feet pumping his fist. It was fun to see. JMac’s mom is delightful. She was high-fiving people in her row she didn’t know. On the last play in regulation when Horford fell out of bounds, she came up to our row holding her chest and expressing relief.

As for the Wolves play on the court, it was a gritty, big-time win against the best team in the NBA. The team’s defense was tremendous again tonight against a high-scoring undefeated Celtics team.

Obviously, the main story was Edwards and his 38 points. I haven’t looked at the box score to see his other stats, but there’s no need for that. The fact is that he carried the team early and then put the team on his shoulders and took them across the finish line in the end. His defense was also outstanding. This was Ant as our Kobe, Dwayne Wade or MJ. You also had to love the way Jaden stepped up tonight with his 20 points to go along with his outstanding defense. Jaden has a beautiful shot from both behind the arc and mid-range. The way Ant and Jaden worked together down the stretch was a view into the future of this franchise. It was a joy to watch Ant draw the defense and then find Jaden with some really nice passes that Jaden converted with his beautiful looking jump shot. Those two form our MJ/Scottie combo. (Relax, I’m not saying either one is as good as MJ or Scottie. You all get the point). :).

Mike Conley once again asserted his veteran leadership on the court and the sideline. He steadied the team in the 4th and overtime when the team seemed a bit frazzled. He was very vocal with his teammates.

Then how about NAW? Once again his defense was terrific. But tonight he also hit some big shots.

Rudy was Rudy — Great defense, while scoring efficiently on lobs and put-backs but he was a train wreck on the foul line to the point where the Celtics employed the “hack-a-Rudy” strategy and it worked. Good thing they didn’t do more of it.

To stay positive, I won’t say much about KAT. He was absolutely horrible tonight. His shooting was terrible and so was his decision-making. His play tonight was Exhibit A for those who see him as a low IQ player. To be fair, KAT played well defensively tonight. That’s something he’s done every game so far this season and it’s a breakthrough positive development for this team. In spite of Rudy’s poor foul shooting, tonight’s game in isolation was one of those nights where the “which big to trade debate” would certain favor trading KAT over Rudy. But enough about KAT. Everything else was positive tonight.

Naz did his part as well. I was surprised he wasn’t on the court in overtime, but his earlier contributions were critical to tonight’s win.

I like the chemistry on this team. Everyone was engaged on the bench supporting their teammates on the court. There’s an obvious sense of joy they seem to have playing the game and pulling for one another. The team is starting to forge an identity as a high energy defensive team that can also score with a star in Edwards who can carry them when needed.

I’m still concerned that this team continues to get crushed by opponents on getting to loose balls. That was a problem last season and it’s every bit as bad so far this season. Some of it is the fact that we don’t have a lot of speed and agility on the court. Rudy, KAT and Slo Mo give on the court together means that 3 of our 5 players are slow-footed by today’s NBA standards. That doesn’t lend itself to winning the 50-50 ball or loose-ball battle very often. It doesn’t get better with Shake Milton on the court. It might be something we’ll just have to live with. The front office decided to go for size at the expense of speed. So we need to dominate the boards, minimize turnovers, and defend the way we’ve been defending. But I’ll say we’re much better getting to loose balls with Naz on the court in place of either KAT or Rudy. I’ll leave it at that.

Again, a fun game and great win. Tonight was a great sign for this team. However, how this team performs Wednesday night at home against Indiana might be more telling. The Pacers are a good team, but the Wolves should beat them especially playing at home. The Wolves can’t have a letdown Wednesday night. I’m still not sure whether this team is a 44-win team or a 54-win team. Following tonight’s win with a victory over the Pacers Wednesday night will keep the needle moving towards the bigger number. And that’s a wrap. Good night.
I think your last paragraph is the important one. Even in they lose to Indiana I will not freak out at all but how they play is going to show me a lot about how far has this team come.

As always thanks for the report
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

An ugly win, but good teams win ugly. And we did just that.

Defensively outstanding. And a special mention to Mike Conley, he was exceptional defensively tonight and in OT. Also Jaden, NAW and Gobert on that end. Team is forming an identity of being a gritty defensive team. And I'm ok with that.

Offensively outside of Edwards we looked pretty bad. I wont single out individuals, but some of their weaknesses were on full display tonight.

KAT is looking more and more like the odd man out on this roster. He needs to slow down and stop playing so out of control. Get a bit of flow into his game. He just plays dumb and makes the same old mistakes. The wrapping of the arm when attacks the hoops is just getting stupid now. On a positive note he was really cheering for the team from the bench after he fouled out, instead of pouting like you would expect from him. And we actually looked better as a team with him not out there tonight.

As for ANT he is a superstar. Outside of that air ball 3 and a careless turnover in OT he was tremendous. Big shots and it was great to see him get Jaden involved.
FNG

Post by FNG »

I didn't read your entire report, Lip, but I can't believe you're concluding Ant is way better than Jordan :D .

My honey and I are traveling through Patagonia with spotty internet access, but I was able to see the replay this morning. Boston is the best team in the league by far in my opinion, and we beat them. But what a weird game. How many times are we going to beat a very good team when:

-KAT has as many turnovers as points.

-We have 23 turnovers and only 26 assists.

-Seemingly every 50/50 ball goes to the Celtics.

-We make only 13 out of 25 free throws, with our center going 2 for 11.

If we had lost this game, I would be whining about these four things, and I think I would have a lot of company here. But win we did, and once again we proved we have the best defense in the Association...nobody is going to hold Boston to 109 points this season in 53 minutes of basketball. We expect rim protection from Rudy and lock down perimeter defense from NAW and Jaden, but the defensive transformation from Naz and KAT compared to last season is stunning. I haven't heard anything, but let's hope Naz isn't hurt...he was limping in the third quarter, and we didn't see him in OT.

Really fun win, and a really big win.

Oh, and just saying...we're 4-0 when JMac sees the court, and 0-2 when he doesn't. Kudos to Finchie for seeing Shake was killing us tonight at both ends, and letting little Mac finish the second quarter.

Let's see what we can do with a Pacers team coming off a 41 point win :o .
FNG

Post by FNG »

One more comment. Brian Scallabrini is terrific. Enthusiastic and fun, and loves the game. And quite fair despite his passion for his Celtics. Really enjoyable to hear his color comments.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Pacers, Shmacers. My book says we play the Pelicans on Wednesday who will be without CJ. And then we will put this new-found chemistry to the test with a grueling 5-game road trip: Spurs, Warriors, Warriors, Suns and Pelicans. We'll know right where we stand after that trip!
FNG

Post by FNG »

60WinTim wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:46 am Pacers, Shmacers. My book says we play the Pelicans on Wednesday who will be without CJ. And then we will put this new-found chemistry to the test with a grueling 5-game road trip: Spurs, Warriors, Warriors, Suns and Pelicans. We'll know right where we stand after that trip!
Whoops!

We're gonna have to find a way to stop their best shooter...some rookie named Ryan.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Glad you were there to see it Lip!

It's amazing how a great defense can paper over all these other problems (Gobert free throws, careless turnovers, etc.).

Love the fact this team has a clear identity as a defensive juggernaut. And I expect them to build on that, meaning what we're seeing is very real versus some statistical variance of cold shooting by opponents.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

FNG wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:17 am I didn't read your entire report, Lip, but I can't believe you're concluding Ant is way better than Jordan :D .

My honey and I are traveling through Patagonia with spotty internet access, but I was able to see the replay this morning. Boston is the best team in the league by far in my opinion, and we beat them. But what a weird game. How many times are we going to beat a very good team when:

-KAT has as many turnovers as points.

-We have 23 turnovers and only 26 assists.

-Seemingly every 50/50 ball goes to the Celtics.

-We make only 13 out of 25 free throws, with our center going 2 for 11.

If we had lost this game, I would be whining about these four things, and I think I would have a lot of company here. But win we did, and once again we proved we have the best defense in the Association...nobody is going to hold Boston to 109 points this season in 53 minutes of basketball. We expect rim protection from Rudy and lock down perimeter defense from NAW and Jaden, but the defensive transformation from Naz and KAT compared to last season is stunning. I haven't heard anything, but let's hope Naz isn't hurt...he was limping in the third quarter, and we didn't see him in OT.

Really fun win, and a really big win.

Oh, and just saying...we're 4-0 when JMac sees the court, and 0-2 when he doesn't. Kudos to Finchie for seeing Shake was killing us tonight at both ends, and letting little Mac finish the second quarter.

Let's see what we can do with a Pacers team coming off a 41 point win :o .
FNG, I usually enjoy your takes, but how on earth do you conclude "Shake was killing us tonight at both ends"? I wonder if you saw his -8 in a couple minutes of play and just assumed he played like ass. I rewatched his minutes to see if I had missed something, but I am puzzled by your comment. Shake made a nice pass to Kyle but Kyle missed a floater he often makes. On another play, Kyle was called for traveling. Kyle also missed another shot. On another play, Naz turned the ball over when he got stripped by Tatum. Jaden made a bad three point shot with Shake open. Offensively, Naz, Jaden and Kyle x 3 made bad plays during Shake's brief appearance. Meanwhile, Shake didn't miss a single shot or turn the ball over. :D How is it Shake's fault? By the way Conley ran the offense, so Shake was playing the 2, and he handled the ball a couple times with one pass going to Kyle and another to Naz who then passed back to Kyle.
I didn't see Shake blow any plays defensively. He was guarding Hauser for the most part who didn't score while Shake was in. Tatum scored 6 points and assisted on the other 2 to Kornet while Shake was on the court. Like you, I'm a plus/minus fan, as I think over extended minutes it seems to be useful. But here, I just don't see how Shake played like ass, when his teammates made bad plays. Could he have played better defensively? Maybe, but he shutdown his guy while Tatum went on a run. I don't think Tatum was his guy and Naz offered very little resistance in the paint. The closest thing to him doing anything negative defensively was on one play where Tatum entered the paint with a head of steam with Shake, Kyle and Naz in the lane and none of them were able to put up any resistance but I don't think Shake was in good position to do much and avoiding a foul was about all he could do. Shake should have gotten an incomplete as he didn't make any good plays or bad plays. I'm wondering why he got so few minutes though and I don't know if his foot was still bothering him or not.
Last edited by KG4Ever on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:17 am, edited 9 times in total.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

60WinTim wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:46 am Pacers, Shmacers. My book says we play the Pelicans on Wednesday who will be without CJ. And then we will put this new-found chemistry to the test with a grueling 5-game road trip: Spurs, Warriors, Warriors, Suns and Pelicans. We'll know right where we stand after that trip!
Whoops. Yep, meant to say Pelicans. We need the win Wednesday might before we head out on that killer road you identified. Beat the Pelicans on Wednesday night and then go 3-2 on the road trip. That would be a really positive sign for this team.