Dallas vs Minnesota analysis

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Dallas vs Minnesota analysis

Post by FNG »

We have a separate prediction thread, but let's use this one to analyze how we think the teams will approach each other. Once again we are facing a team with two true superstars and a supporting cast. I think the Wolves took three out of 4 this season, but if I'm not mistaken, we lost the only game in which both Luka and Kyrie played. I'm not sure the regular season tells us much about how this series will go.

First and foremost, we have to keep Luka and Kyrie from going off. I'm not sure how we are going to defend them, but I suspect we will start with Jaden and Ant. I'm concerned that Luka might overpower Jaden, so I think I would go with this:

Rudy on Gafford
KAT on Washington
Jaden on Kyrie
Ant on Luka
Conley on Jones Jr.

Conley gives up 6 inches to Jones, but I don't think we have to worry too much about a guy who only averaged 8.6 PPG. I think Luka won't be able to bully Ant, and I think Jaden's quickness and length would bother Kyrie. What do others think?

I frankly don't know enough about the Dallas defense to know how they are going to line up against us. I'm looking for some input here.
rapsuperstar31

Re: Dallas vs Minnesota analysis

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

FNG wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:15 am We have a separate prediction thread, but let's use this one to analyze how we think the teams will approach each other. Once again we are facing a team with two true superstars and a supporting cast. I think the Wolves took three out of 4 this season, but if I'm not mistaken, we lost the only game in which both Luka and Kyrie played. I'm not sure the regular season tells us much about how this series will go.

First and foremost, we have to keep Luka and Kyrie from going off. I'm not sure how we are going to defend them, but I suspect we will start with Jaden and Ant. I'm concerned that Luka might overpower Jaden, so I think I would go with this:

Rudy on Gafford
KAT on Washington
Jaden on Kyrie
Ant on Luka
Conley on Jones Jr.

Conley gives up 6 inches to Jones, but I don't think we have to worry too much about a guy who only averaged 8.6 PPG. I think Luka won't be able to bully Ant, and I think Jaden's quickness and length would bother Kyrie. What do others think?

I frankly don't know enough about the Dallas defense to know how they are going to line up against us. I'm looking for some input here.
Washington was fantastic against OKC hitting 47% from 3 on 8.2 attempts, we might have to guard him the same way we guarded Porter. Both Lively and Gafford can be lob threats with both Luka and Kyrie throwing up lobs when we sag off of those players.
FNG

Post by FNG »

rapsuperstar31 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:22 am
FNG wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:15 am We have a separate prediction thread, but let's use this one to analyze how we think the teams will approach each other. Once again we are facing a team with two true superstars and a supporting cast. I think the Wolves took three out of 4 this season, but if I'm not mistaken, we lost the only game in which both Luka and Kyrie played. I'm not sure the regular season tells us much about how this series will go.

Rudy on Gafford
KAT on Washington
Jaden on Kyrie
Ant on Luka
Conley on Jones Jr.

Washington was fantastic against OKC hitting 47% from 3 on 8.2 attempts, we might have to guard him the same way we guarded Porter. Both Lively and Gafford can be lob threats with both Luka and Kyrie throwing up lobs when we sag off of those players.
Yeah, I worry a little about Washington too. But who is he...the guy who shot 47% in the last round, or the guy who shot 31% on the season? Jaden is the natural matchup to put on PJ, but I think we need him on one of the two superstars. KAT showed enough quickness on the perimeter this season, so I would be confident giving him the assignment.

I like the way Rudy took away much of the lob game against Denver. We're going to really need that in the next series, because those guys are really athletic, and Luka and Kyrie are both skilled at getting the ball to dunkers.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I'd like to put Jaden on Luka and I think that's what we will do. The problem is with Luka's cleverness he can get Jaden in foul trouble. We may see some switching back and forth on Kyrie and Luka.
DNatagal

Post by DNatagal »

The refs will have a lot to say in this series. If it is the playoff whistle the Wolves have received for the bulk of the playoffs, Jaden on Kyrie will help the most. Keep KAT away from Luka at all times, no matter which whistle we get!
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

KAT better dominate. I anticipate huge offensive numbers for him.
FNG

Post by FNG »

DNatagal wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:00 am The refs will have a lot to say in this series. If it is the playoff whistle the Wolves have received for the bulk of the playoffs, Jaden on Kyrie will help the most. Keep KAT away from Luka at all times, no matter which whistle we get!
Yeah, the whistle usually matters. But Dallas has a similar situation to us. They are crediting the late-season change in officiating style to their defensive resurgence. A Mavericks team that ranked 27th in defense last season and 22nd until the mid-season trades had the second best defensive rating since March 10 (behind you know who). Unlike Phoenix and Denver and more like the Wolves, they play an aggressive defense designed to funnel the action into their athletic big men. Kyrie and Luka have long been considered turnstiles on defense, but pundits are raving about Kyrie's defense lately and Luka is also putting in the work. Unlike the last two series, I think a tight whistle might hurt our opponent as much as us.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

well the first key apparently is to start your preseason in Abu Dhabi lol.

Lively is young and active and gaining confidence. Rudy has to show him that he has a ways to go before he can get on his level.

I'm actually worried about Tim Hardaway Jr. He tends to get tons of looks from 3 when he sees us. If he's in a groove he can burn us.

If we can get Doncic and Irving to fall back on their my turn your turn offense that they do at times, we'll win.

What has the Wolves at an advantage is that we put everything into holding down Jokic. Doncic while still tough will feel easier by comparison and we'll want him to chuck because then that means only Doncic and Kyrie will score. Not having Kleber will hurt because Lively and Gafford can't force Gobert and Towns outside.
FNG

Post by FNG »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:10 pm well the first key apparently is to start your preseason in Abu Dhabi lol.

Lively is young and active and gaining confidence. Rudy has to show him that he has a ways to go before he can get on his level.

I'm actually worried about Tim Hardaway Jr. He tends to get tons of looks from 3 when he sees us. If he's in a groove he can burn us.

If we can get Doncic and Irving to fall back on their my turn your turn offense that they do at times, we'll win.

What has the Wolves at an advantage is that we put everything into holding down Jokic. Doncic while still tough will feel easier by comparison and we'll want him to chuck because then that means only Doncic and Kyrie will score. Not having Kleber will hurt because Lively and Gafford can't force Gobert and Towns outside.
WW- we've all seen 6th men burn us off the bench (see Powell, Norman; Monk, Malik, etc), and Hardaway fits into that category to be feared. I wouldn't be surprised if Finchie subs in NAW every time Hardaway subs in to shadow him. NAW had a poor shooting game last night, but I trust his one-on-one defense as much as I trust Jaden's and Ant's.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

rapsuperstar31 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:22 am

Rudy on Gafford
KAT on Washington
Jaden on Kyrie
Ant on Luka
Conley on Jones Jr.

There is no world in which PJ Washington is a better shooter than MPJ. OKC was selling out to protect the paint from Luka lobs and leaving PJ wide open for corner 3s and dared him to make them. While we can't leave him that wide open, he does not need to be guarded as closely as MPJ out there. By the last two games of the OKC series, PJ cooled off a bit in terms of both volume and % from 3.