Terrence Shannon

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Terrence Shannon

Post by FNG »

Let's get the elephant out of the room right away. Any discussion of Shannon has to include the sexual assault allegation of which he was found not guilty. I have to admit that as a charter member of the "Believe the Woman" club, I have had my doubts about this guy since the moment the charges became public...not from a basketball standpoint at all, but only from a character standpoint. But having watched a lot of non-basketball interviews with him this morning, my character concerns are gone. I see Shannon as a very nice, quite shy young man. I especially enjoyed the "Day in the Life" video that is out there. He comes across as a guy who really respects team employees...trainers, coaches, etc. That tells me that he is going to be very coachable. He won't have Rob's charisma...he admits in some videos that he is not a leader. But I think he will be a very good teammate.

But unlike Dillingham, Shannon is not going to need a lot of coaching. At 24 years old with 5 years of college play behind him, he is as NBA ready as anyone in the draft. And also unlike Rob, he is a clear 2-way player. His defense during his Texas Tech stint was deemed elite, and he also appeared to be a solid defender with Illinois. We have to keep things in perspective here...he was a 23 year old playing against a lot of teenagers his senior year. Those of us that remember playing pickup ball against much less developed opponents know the advantage that creates. But still, he is big and fast, and those attributes make him NBA ready.

I like this pick. TC has secured a wing who should be ready to contribute right away.
Carlos Danger

Re: Terrence Shannon

Post by Carlos Danger »

We needed to add some scoring punch to the second unit. This guy sounds like he might help. I like the pick.

As far as the rape stuff - I let the courts decide that. He was proven innocent - that's good enough for me.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:49 am We needed to add some scoring punch to the second unit. This guy sounds like he might help. I like the pick.

As far as the rape stuff - I let the courts decide that. He was proven innocent - that's good enough for me.
I appreciate your support.

https://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p ... 220335.jpg
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

FNG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:41 am Let's get the elephant out of the room right away. Any discussion of Shannon has to include the sexual assault allegation of which he was found not guilty. I have to admit that as a charter member of the "Believe the Woman" club, I have had my doubts about this guy since the moment the charges became public...not from a basketball standpoint at all, but only from a character standpoint. But having watched a lot of non-basketball interviews with him this morning, my character concerns are gone. I see Shannon as a very nice, quite shy young man. I especially enjoyed the "Day in the Life" video that is out there. He comes across as a guy who really respects team employees...trainers, coaches, etc. That tells me that he is going to be very coachable. He won't have Rob's charisma...he admits in some videos that he is not a leader. But I think he will be a very good teammate.

But unlike Dillingham, Shannon is not going to need a lot of coaching. At 24 years old with 5 years of college play behind him, he is as NBA ready as anyone in the draft. And also unlike Rob, he is a clear 2-way player. His defense during his Texas Tech stint was deemed elite, and he also appeared to be a solid defender with Illinois. We have to keep things in perspective here...he was a 23 year old playing against a lot of teenagers his senior year. Those of us that remember playing pickup ball against much less developed opponents know the advantage that creates. But still, he is big and fast, and those attributes make him NBA ready.

I like this pick. TC has secured a wing who should be ready to contribute right away.
Glad you’ve come around on his character, FNG. Regarding your “believe the woman” philosophy I would just suggest you can believe a woman’s claim she was assaulted but you then need to be very careful about believing that she’s accurately identified the person who committed the assault. Eye witness identifications are notoriously inaccurate. It’s one of the first thing a law student learns in trial advocacy class. You’re in a crowded bar late at night and pretty wasted. You see a guy a couple times that night. Then at some point you’re assaulted in a brief instance in the crowd as happened in this case. The face you associate with that assault could easily be a face you saw nearby or a couple times in the bar that night rather than the perpetrator.

I also encourage you to check out the cases where men convicted of sexual assault were later completely exonerated by DNA evidence. In most cases, it was mistaken identity. But in a not insignificant number of cases it was more disturbing - retribution, extortion, or just weirdness. One of the weirdest cases was an Illinois man who was convicted of sexually assaulting a neighbor woman across the street in her home. The jury believed her over him as you might with your “believe the woman” philosophy. But many years later, the DNA evidence showed it could not have been him. This didn’t seem to be a case of mistaken identity and there wasn’t any money in it for her. Did she just hate him for some reason? Was it some sort of sick fun on her part? Was she looking for someone to blame to protect the actual perpetrator? Who knows. Then think about the text exchanges between the victim in this instance and her friends after Terrence was charged - exchanging emojis with dollar signs on their tongues. Human nature doesn’t lend itself easily to stereotypes or rules of thumb. That’s why we have courts and rules of evidence for things like this.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

FNG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:01 am
Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:49 am We needed to add some scoring punch to the second unit. This guy sounds like he might help. I like the pick.

I appreciate your support.

https://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p ... 220335.jpg
Justice isn't perfect. But you will be very glad that you are innocent until proven guilty should you ever be accused of something that you didn't actually do.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:20 am
FNG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:41 am Let's get the elephant out of the room right away. Any discussion of Shannon has to include the sexual assault allegation of which he was found not guilty. I have to admit that as a charter member of the "Believe the Woman" club, I have had my doubts about this guy since the moment the charges became public...not from a basketball standpoint at all, but only from a character standpoint. But having watched a lot of non-basketball interviews with him this morning, my character concerns are gone. I see Shannon as a very nice, quite shy young man. I especially enjoyed the "Day in the Life" video that is out there. He comes across as a guy who really respects team employees...trainers, coaches, etc. That tells me that he is going to be very coachable. He won't have Rob's charisma...he admits in some videos that he is not a leader. But I think he will be a very good teammate.

Glad you’ve come around on his character, FNG. Regarding your “believe the woman” philosophy I would just suggest you can believe a woman’s claim she was assaulted but you then need to be very careful about believing that she’s accurately identified the person who committed the assault. Eye witness identifications are notoriously inaccurate. It’s one of the first thing a law student learns in trial advocacy class. You’re in a crowded bar late at night and pretty wasted. You see a guy a couple times that night. Then at some point you’re assaulted in a brief instance in the crowd as happened in this case. The face you associate with that assault could easily be a face you saw nearby or a couple times in the bar that night rather than the perpetrator.

I also encourage you to check out the cases where men convicted of sexual assault were later completely exonerated by DNA evidence. In most cases, it was mistaken identity. But in a not insignificant number of cases it was more disturbing - retribution, extortion, or just weirdness. One of the weirdest cases was an Illinois man who was convicted of sexually assaulting a neighbor woman across the street in her home. The jury believed her over him as you might with your “believe the woman” philosophy. But many years later, the DNA evidence showed it could not have been him. This didn’t seem to be a case of mistaken identity and there wasn’t any money in it for her. Did she just hate him for some reason? Was it some sort of sick fun on her part? Was she looking for someone to blame to protect the actual perpetrator? Who knows. Then think about the text exchanges between the victim in this instance and her friends after Terrence was charged - exchanging emojis with dollar signs on their tongues. Human nature doesn’t lend itself easily to stereotypes or rules of thumb. That’s why we have courts and rules of evidence for things like this.
Yeah, although of course I don't know, I'm convinced this was mistaken identity. Let's face it...a traumatized white girl in a Kansas bar could easily confuse her African American assaulter with someone else. I've been on the other side, so I can provide some humorous perspective. I finished my career in Shanghai, one of three white guys in an office of 2000 Han Chinese. One of the other white guys was a freckled-faced red-haired Brit who was 6 inches shorter than me. I can't tell you how many times my Chinese co-workers called me by his name...they couldn't tell us apart! I've moved on with this incident, and ready to talk basketball only.

(although I did have to have a little fun with Carlos above ;) )
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

FNG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:38 am
Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:20 am

Yeah, although of course I don't know, I'm convinced this was mistaken identity. Let's face it...a traumatized white girl in a Kansas bar could easily confuse her African American assaulter with someone else. I've been on the other side, so I can provide some humorous perspective. I finished my career in Shanghai, one of three white guys in an office of 2000 Han Chinese. One of the other white guys was a freckled-faced red-haired Brit who was 6 inches shorter than me. I can't tell you how many times my Chinese co-workers called me by his name...they couldn't tell us apart! I've moved on with this incident, and ready to talk basketball only.

(although I did have to have a little fun with Carlos above ;) )
Yes. I have no doubt it was a case of mistaken identity. You called it out exactly as I’m sure it happened. Inebriated white girl in a crowded bar gets traumatized by an assault and identifies a black face she obviously saw in the bar but not the face of the perpetrator.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Just got a text from a friend in MN who graduated years ago from the University of Illinois. She said she’s heard from a number of fellow very active alumni who are still living in Illinois and know Shannon. They love Shannon - both his game and as a person. They told her the Wolves are really fortunate to get him.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:50 am Just got a text from a friend in MN who graduated years ago from the University of Illinois. She said she’s heard from a number of fellow very active alumni who are still living in Illinois and know Shannon. They love Shannon - both his game and as a person. They told her the Wolves are really fortunate to get him.
TC did a lot of due diligence on this one, Lip, talking with countless people from Illinois and Texas Tech. All reports are that Shannon doesn't have good character...he has great character. And we know he can play. I'm more and more convinced TC made the right pick at 27, although I was certainly on the fence at the time.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:56 am
Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:50 am Just got a text from a friend in MN who graduated years ago from the University of Illinois. She said she’s heard from a number of fellow very active alumni who are still living in Illinois and know Shannon. They love Shannon - both his game and as a person. They told her the Wolves are really fortunate to get him.
TC did a lot of due diligence on this one, Lip, talking with countless people from Illinois and Texas Tech. All reports are that Shannon doesn't have good character...he has great character. And we know he can play. I'm more and more convinced TC made the right pick at 27, although I was certainly on the fence at the time.
I thought it was telling all the folks at his draft party. I don't think Angel Reese is showing up if there is really any doubt about him being a good guy.