Favorite Wolves Players

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Coolbreeze44

Favorite Wolves Players

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Q mentioning that Ricky Rubio was one of his favorite players gave me the idea for this thread. I'm asking you to come up with your 5 favorite Wolves and put them in a lineup. This not who you think the 5 best players have been, but rather your personal favorites. If you don't go way back to the early days like I do, just focus on the players you've seen in a Wolves uniform. Here's mine:

PG - Sam Cassell
W - Jaden McDaniels
W - Andrew Wiggins
PF - Tom Gugliotta
C - Nikola Pekovic
Lipoli390

Re: Favorite Wolves Players

Post by Lipoli390 »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:58 pm Q mentioning that Ricky Rubio was one of his favorite players gave me the idea for this thread. I'm asking you to come up with your 5 favorite Wolves and put them in a lineup. This not who you think the 5 best players have been, but rather your personal favorites. If you don't go way back to the early days like I do, just focus on the players you've seen in a Wolves uniform. Here's mine:

PG - Sam Cassell
W - Jaden McDaniels
W - Andrew Wiggins
PF - Tom Gugliotta
C - Nikola Pekovic
PG - Ricky Rubio
SG - Anthony Edwards
SF - Tom Gugliotta
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Nikola Pekovic

Gugliotta is my top favorite. Loved the way he played.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

PG - Ricky Rubio
W - ANT
W - Jaden
PF - KG
C - Gorgui This one is tough for me because I really like both Pekovic and Gobert here. But something about how gangly and awkward running around Gorgui Dieng was, like a baby deer, and his trebuchet mid-range shot makes him unforgettable and my choice.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

A mix of old and new:

PG - Chauncey Billups
SG - Anthony Edwards
SF - Jaden McDaniels
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Nikola Pekovic

Pek is my all-time favorite Timberwolf
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

TheFuture wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:33 pm PG - Ricky Rubio
W - ANT
W - Jaden
PF - KG
C - Gorgui This one is tough for me because I really like both Pekovic and Gobert here. But something about how gangly and awkward running around Gorgui Dieng was, like a baby deer, and his trebuchet mid-range shot makes him unforgettable and my choice.
God, that used to be so frustrating when Gorgui would barely move his plant foot on pump fakes with that shot before putting the ball on the floor and he'd be called for a travel every single time. Bjelica got the same treatment from the refs. They'd overlook blatant travels on fast break drives to the hoop by opponents or Harden's step-step-step back 3's, but heaven forbid Gorgui or Belly would lift their foot up by a half inch before the first dribble hit the floor! TRAVEL!!!

Sorry for the side-rant!
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

PG - Rubio - The purest of pure PGs.
SG - Ant - No explanation necessary.
SF - Corey Brewer - All out hustle and some iconic moments including the dunk of Derek Fisher (see link below) and the 51 point night that came out of no where.
PF - Kevin Love - had an incredible season the year before he was traded to Cleveland. The outlet passes to Corey Brewer were a thing of beauty.
C - Pek - What a shame the injury bug got him. Strongest player in the NBA and a really good positional defender because he simply couldn't be moved off his spot. And then there was the low post game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIpnQI ... sgZmlzaGVy
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

PG- Sam Cassell BIG BALLS!!!
SG- Ant
SF- Brewer
PF- KG
C- Ruuuuuude!!!
FNG

Post by FNG »

Fun thread. I'll pass on several players I like(d) who weren't here long enough (Rudy, Spree, Cassell), but will include Ant:

PG: Rubio
SG: Ant
SF: Sam Mitchell
PF: KG
C: Pek
Wolvesaholic

Post by Wolvesaholic »

PG-Rubio
SG-Ant (could you really pick anyone else?)
SF-Wally World
PF-KG
C-KAT
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

When three of the four best players in franchise history effectively play the same position... we're going positionless... and running with only four on the court.

Rubio. We wanted to believe. We wanted to believe oh so very much. And while he never reached those heights, he gave us just enough to make him a favorite.
Edwards. I don't know where this crazy ride will take us in a couple/few years... it might even hurtle our limp, dead bodies into the murky swamp... but it's been a highly enjoyable and rewarding ride so far. He's been the most fun of anyone so far. And the potential to turn into the best on the court only makes it better...
Garnett. It's hard to leave the franchise's best player off the list. He was so good. And quite loyal. And I fought for him for so long against the critics who just didn't understand the plight of the Timberwolves during his tenure... he deserves the love.
Pekovic. A lovable lug. We always heard (every telecast) about how he was the strongest player in the NBA. Well, he had a bit of skill, too. He came out of nowhere to become a solid to good professional player... with a style all his own, which included The Godfather musical nuggets at home games. Averaged nearly 18/9 in his best season right before the injuries ended things early.

Close...

Love. Another guy who didn't exactly fit the part, but stuffed the stat sheet. He fought through the Rambis/Kahn regime and came out the other side intact, remember when he was prohibited from shooting threes? Remember when he was on the bench behind guys like Ryan Hollins and Darko Milicic... and yet he STILL wanted to play for this organization? I don't know if the love was always reciprocated, including when Glen Taylor didn't want to give him a full five year deal.

Googs. His arrival brought a sense of legitimacy to the organization. Granted, the team still sucked at first... but he was a real NBA player. And with the ascendent Garnett and the lesser Marbury, the team's future was never brighter. His best years being in Minnesota might help his case.

Towns. I felt bad omitting him. He's been a good to great player for nearly a decade. He's been a seemingly good teammate. He stays out of trouble. He's battled through adversity and many many coaches and regimes. But he's still barely making his list... possibly more out of familiarity and team loyalty than anything else.

[Note: That list includes 5 bigs, one mercurial wing... and one PG. Compare it to my top 10 NBA players of all time that includes 7 or 8 PGs and ZERO big men... and you can imagine the underlying pain I've suffered as one of the original Timberwolves' fans. My relationship with this franchise has been interesting to say the least...]