Daishen Nix

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Daishen Nix

Post by Lipoli390 »

I know Q doesn’t find Nix aesthetically pleasing to watch and questions his fit at the PG position. I totally understand Q’s perspective. My take is a bit different. I actually love watching the way Nix plays. And while I have some misgivings like Q about Nix as a PG given his score-first SG style of play, I’m comfortable with him playing the point. He’s an excellent ball-handler with decent court vision and seems to do a decent job of getting the team into its offense. More importantly, I think he can guard that position as well as the SG position.

Until now, I’ve never taken Nix seriously as a prospect or done a deep dive into his background. But recognizing the troubling lack of PG depth behind Conley combined with Dilly’s position on the development curve, and recognizing how well Daishen has played in our first three summer league games, I think Nix has to be considered as a potential #1 backup to Conley at least for the first half of next season until Dilly develops his game enough to fill that role. To that end, I took the sort of deep dive into Daishen that I usually take into the background of viable Wolves draft prospects. What I’ve found has been impressive.

Let’s start with physical tools. I knew is was a wide body but I didn’t really appreciate how well built Nix is until I saw him up close 10 feet away in this year’s summer league. It looked a bit like baby fat on TV, but in person you see he’s a solid block of muscle. I looked up his combine measurement - an 8’4 standing reach, 6’6.75 wingspan with a 225 pound frame. He’s big for a SG and absolutely huge for a PG. You’d think a round 225 pound 6’3” PG would be slow, but he registered a 3/4 sprint time of 3.00 with a 36.5” max vertical. He’s wide, tough, strong, fast, and aggressive.

What has he done with those physical tools before coming to the NBA? What I’ve uncovered is impressive. First of all, he’s an elite rebounder - a skill that translates from lower levels to the NBA. He averaged 10.4 rebounds as a sophomore, 9 as a Junior, 9.4 as a senior and 7.0 in the G-League last season. We could call him the mini-round mound of rebound. :). He averaged 1.7 steals and 1.3 blocks as a senior at Tennessee and 2.9 steals in the G-League. He’s was a 20 + PPG player his last two years of college and averaged 25 PPG last year in the G-League. His assist numbers were low in college, which supports Q’s view that he’s really not a PG, but he averaged 6.4 assists in his G-League games last season, which suggests he’s developed that part of his game significantly.

I don’t know whether he’s the right guy to be Conley’s #1 backup next season, but I think there’s enough there to seriously consider him for that role. I’m glad we have him on another two-way deal. It probably makes sense to keep him on a two-way unless and until he solidifies his position as Mike’s main backup, in which case he could be moved into our 15th roster slot. But I wouldn’t be opposed to giving him the 15th slot right now and giving his two-way slot to Hifi or someone else.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on Nix. Some like Q might find Nix painful to watch while others like me find it fun. But the important question is: can he be Conley’s main backup next season, at least until Dilly’s ready to assume that role? I’m beginning to think he can.
Last edited by Lipoli390 on Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KG4Ever

Re: Daishen Nix

Post by KG4Ever »

Nix stood out last preseason. Unlike Summer League games, preseason games are very telling. He has looked well this summer league and while its his fourth NBA season, he's still only 22. Given our current roster, I'd be fine giving him a chance to be the backup point as I don't think RD is ready yet.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Lip. I'm also taking a closer look at Nix, and am not ruling him out as a backup at PG. But I'm confused about your post. When you cite his rebounding stats as a soph, junior, and senior, are you talking about his high school stats? I thought he bypassed college and went directly to the G League.

I liked this article about Nix that named him the best PG in the country as he was considering college options.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... a-mystery/
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Good thread. Like KG4, I started to get intrigued by Nix after his (great) preseason last year. He didn't build on that in the G unfortunately. But as I've written before...our G Team was diseased last year. Yes, the players deserve their part of the blame. But it sure felt like there was something bigger going on (coaching?). It was basically the Washington Generals.

I was a Jmac fan too. I love rooting for the under dogs "Rudy!". JMac was getting older, missing too many games and a little expensive (for his limited role). JMac was a positive to the team - but it was a minor role. We are talking about 600 minutes/year. Dilly will steal a lot of that, but if Nix can keep this up, he certainly might be line to get the scraps after that.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

I'm dismissing him in every way imaginable as a backup PG. He's just stocky so in terms of size he profiles well. He's been here a year. He's been in the league for 3. He had more upside 3 years ago in a league where it's getting harder to find PG's and wound up undrafted.

Nix can't shoot. Let me repeat this. He can't shoot. He doesn't do much else on a somewhat elite level to offset the fact that he can't shoot.

He played 7 games (SEVEN!) in G League last year. Why? I have no idea. It's not as if we were saving him for NBA games. He shot 40% from the field and 28% from 3 on 7 (SEVEN!) attempts per game. He's only back because he was vibes on the bench. Age is on his side, but what has he shown that causes anyone to think "there's something there; we just need to build on this?" It ain't his shooting. if Nix is in a game, I'm only gonna assume there's about 2 minutes left in the game and we're either up 30 or down 30.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Wolf, the problem is RD hasn't shown he can shoot and Nix is shooting better in SL. Nix shot really well in the preseason last year. He shot well in the GLeague before coming to our dysfunctional Iowa team. He's 22. 4 guys in SL are shooting worse: RD, and two bigs (Josh and Edwards) and Jaylen Clark.

Nix is doing a lot of do shit stuff in SL. He rebounds well, he gets assists, he gets steals and he gets to the free throw line and he looks composed. All, I'm saying if you look at our current roster, Nix and RD are the only point guards behind Conley and I prefer Nix over RD right now but that may change if RD can start making his shot. I've advocated for TC to sign a veteran point guard to backup Conley (Tyus, Fultz and Dennis Smith are all available), but he hasn't. Maybe TC is fine running with Nix and RD, but TC probably knows that if both guys can't handle backup he has options. Heck, John Wall is so desperate to get get back to the NBA, he'd be back on a minimum deal in a heartbeat and could mentor our young point guards too if need be. If TC is confident in Nix and RD backing up Conley, I am too.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:48 am Wolf, the problem is RD hasn't shown he can shoot and Nix is shooting better in SL. Nix shot really well in the preseason last year. He shot well in the GLeague before coming to our dysfunctional Iowa team. He's 22. 4 guys in SL are shooting worse: RD, and two bigs (Josh and Edwards) and Jaylen Clark.

Nix is doing a lot of do shit stuff in SL. He rebounds well, he gets assists, he gets steals and he gets to the free throw line and he looks composed. All, I'm saying if you look at our current roster, Nix and RD are the only point guards behind Conley and I prefer Nix over RD right now but that may change if RD can start making his shot. I've advocated for TC to sign a veteran point guard to backup Conley (Tyus, Fultz and Dennis Smith are all available), but he hasn't. Maybe TC is fine running with Nix and RD, but TC probably knows that if both guys can't handle backup he has options. Heck, John Wall is so desperate to get get back to the NBA, he'd be back on a minimum deal in a heartbeat and could mentor our young point guards too if need be. If TC is confident in Nix and RD backing up Conley, I am too.
Great post, KG. You captures my thoughts perfectly.

Like you, I’ve wanted TC to sign a vet to rely on as Conley’s main backup PG. That hasn’t happened and I’m sure that’s because the vet PGs TC wanted weren’t interested in coming here for the vet minimum based on other options they had or were pursing. I like all three of the available vet PGs you mentioned. Tyus would be FANTASTIC, but we’re obviously not going to get him for the vet minimum. I would think Fultz and Smith are at least possibilities that I would explore if I were TC. I sort of like the idea of John Wall. I saw his SL interview and it was clear he’d love to play another year in a backup mentoring role and then move into coaching.

Otherwise, we’ll have to rely on the guys we have and right now Nix looks like the best candidate to take on the primary backup role at least initially. Of course, the Wolves could rely on Edwards, NAW and possibly Dozier to run the point when Conley’s on the bench. That could work, but it’s not ideal and becomes highly problematic if Conley is out for an extended period with an injury.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

FNG wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:25 am Lip. I'm also taking a closer look at Nix, and am not ruling him out as a backup at PG. But I'm confused about your post. When you cite his rebounding stats as a soph, junior, and senior, are you talking about his high school stats? I thought he bypassed college and went directly to the G League.

I liked this article about Nix that named him the best PG in the country as he was considering college options.

You’re right, FNG. lol. I thought I was looking at the stats of Daishen Nix at Tennessee. Turns out I was looking at the stats of Dyron Nix from back in the 1980s. Now I’m wondering what happened to Dyron Nix. :).
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:45 pm
FNG wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:25 am Lip. I'm also taking a closer look at Nix, and am not ruling him out as a backup at PG. But I'm confused about your post. When you cite his rebounding stats as a soph, junior, and senior, are you talking about his high school stats? I thought he bypassed college and went directly to the G League.

You’re right, FNG. lol. I thought I was looking at the stats of Daishen Nix at Tennessee. Turns out I was looking at the stats of Dyron Nix from back in the 1980s. Now I’m wondering what happened to Dyron Nix. :). And I actually feel better about where Nix is on the development curve knowing he didn’t play college ball.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:30 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:48 am Wolf, the problem is RD hasn't shown he can shoot and Nix is shooting better in SL. Nix shot really well in the preseason last year. He shot well in the GLeague before coming to our dysfunctional Iowa team. He's 22. 4 guys in SL are shooting worse: RD, and two bigs (Josh and Edwards) and Jaylen Clark.

Great post, KG. You captures my thoughts perfectly.

Like you, I’ve wanted TC to sign a vet to rely on as Conley’s main backup PG. That hasn’t happened and I’m sure that’s because the vet PGs TC wanted weren’t interested in coming here for the vet minimum based on other options they had or were pursing. I like all three of the available vet PGs you mentioned. Tyus would be FANTASTIC, but we’re obviously not going to get him for the vet minimum. I would think Fultz and Smith are at least possibilities that I would explore if I were TC. I sort of like the idea of John Wall. I saw his SL interview and it was clear he’d love to play another year in a backup mentoring role and then move into coaching.

Otherwise, we’ll have to rely on the guys we have and right now Nix looks like the best candidate to take on the primary backup role at least initially. Of course, the Wolves could rely on Edwards, NAW and possibly Dozier to run the point when Conley’s on the bench. That could work, but it’s not ideal and becomes highly problematic if Conley is out for an extended period with an injury.
I liked KG's post as well and I liked that he brought up John Wall. I think Wall can still play and for a vet min if he is willing to play any role I think would be a good value despite his flaws namely 3 point shooting. I guess my question is whether or not he can defend. If he is a liability on that end then I'll pass.

In terms of the depth behind Conley it's worth remembering what the Wolves had going into last season. Their primary backup to Conley was Shake Milton who many of us thought was a nice value signing and maybe still had some potential. He played legit rotation minutes for a quarter or third of the season and on the whole was simply not good and a disappointing signing. Yes the Wolves later traded for Morris but he only played 27 games and some of those were when McLaughlin was playing well and he wasn't really needed. So one question in terms of depth will Dillingham or Nix or whoever going to better or whatever than Shake Milton was for 20-30 games this season? Will someone step up if needed at some point like McLaughlin did not just last year but starting with his rookie season? Could the Wolves add a vet PG if needed via FA or a minor trade? It seems possible. Pat Bev is no longer an option he took a bigger net salary than an NBA vet min and basically a star role signing in Europe. I had kinda forgotten about John Wall is there someone else that didn't play in the NBA last year (maybe in Europe) that could be an option at some point?