Rudy
91%
Naz
9%

Total votes: 11

Wolvesfan21

You can only keep one

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Let's say the Wolves are forced to reduce salary next offseason. Who do you extend? Let's say Rudy on a 3 year extension, fair market. Naz on a 4 year, fair market value.

I do think it might be possible if Rudy takes a team friendly deal we can keep both. But we might have to pick one. Honeslty for me this is a tough question right now. I'm really 50/50 and obviously would love to keep both.
BloopOracle

Re: You can only keep one

Post by BloopOracle »

Gobert easily, Naz has more flaws and Reid's reputation around the league is inflated. Now this is contingent on gobert accepting a extension with de-escalating yearly salaries.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

BloopOracle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:23 pm Gobert easily, Naz has more flaws and Reid's reputation around the league is inflated. Now this is contingent on gobert accepting a extension with de-escalating yearly salaries.
I do think Gobert will ultimately get quite a bit more per year still. Depends on this year obviously how each play. I think I am leaning Rudy though as well though throughout the contract, he could be slowing down and Naz still has room to grow. It's a tough question.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Careers going in opposite directions, give me NAZ.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:29 pm
BloopOracle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:23 pm Gobert easily, Naz has more flaws and Reid's reputation around the league is inflated. Now this is contingent on gobert accepting a extension with de-escalating yearly salaries.
I do think Gobert will ultimately get quite a bit more per year still. Depends on this year obviously how each play. I think I am leaning Rudy though as well though throughout the contract, he could be slowing down and Naz still has room to grow. It's a tough question.
I agree that it's a tough question. Naz is easy to watch and easy to root for. His game is aesthetically pleasing. Yet the reality is he doesn't impact winning all that much. Rudy on the other hand is hard to watch at times and not always the easiest guy to root for (mostly with pundits and fans outside of Utah and Minnesota). Yet the numbers don't lie - he had a profound impact on winning both in the regular season and playoffs.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:25 pm
I agree that it's a tough question. Naz is easy to watch and easy to root for. His game is aesthetically pleasing. Yet the reality is he doesn't impact winning all that much. Rudy on the other hand is hard to watch at times and not always the easiest guy to root for (mostly with pundits and fans outside of Utah and Minnesota). Yet the numbers don't lie - he had a profound impact on winning both in the regular season and playoffs.
I agree, Rudy is just so damn good on defense he makes everyone better with his length and deterring shots. It doesn't show up in the box score much of the time, him just being on the floor is the difference.

In three or four years Naz may take more strides forward, while Rudy may take steps back. Even in the playoffs I saw Naz really step up on defense. He did a really good job at times. I really hope we take advantage of this season when we have both guys. We might not after.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:31 pm

I agree, Rudy is just so damn good on defense he makes everyone better with his length and deterring shots. It doesn't show up in the box score much of the time, him just being on the floor is the difference.

In three or four years Naz may take more strides forward, while Rudy may take steps back. Even in the playoffs I saw Naz really step up on defense. He did a really good job at times. I really hope we take advantage of this season when we have both guys. We might not after.
The other thing is that if Miller builds off what we saw in Summer League (big if I might add), he may be a worthy successor to Naz at a much cheaper price. They are basically the same archetype - offensive-oriented bigs that should mostly play PF. Tough to replace what Rudy does on defense.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:39 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:31 pm

The other thing is that if Miller builds off what we saw in Summer League (big if I might add), he may be a worthy successor to Naz at a much cheaper price. They are basically the same archetype - offensive-oriented bigs that should mostly play PF. Tough to replace what Rudy does on defense.
We do have guys in the pipeline that may have to step up. You're right though, we would have to somehow get another big in here if Rudy leaves. Naz at the 5 hasn't been the best in the past defensively. Though he has shown some imporvement for sure.
Monster

Post by Monster »

This is an interesting question to propose right now. obviously we have a whole season to assess both players the team etc . i think a nunber of us think its quite possible Naz improves once again because he has done it every year if his career and he is still a young big.

In addition as its been pointed out in theory what Naz can do is maybe more easy to replace for rhe Wolves than what Rudy does. Gobert is on track for a HOF career. Naz isnt even an established starter yet although espcially after last season I think he is a starting level player.

one thing that could change the calculus is of Towns continues his trajectory into becoming a better defensive player. He isnt ever going to be the defensive factor Gobert is but it seems he has become more valuable on that end the past 3-4 years espcially as an individual defender. Could he end up being a guy that could help more on that end as a true center? I am not holding my breath there but there has been some growth on that end maybe some because of playing next to and watching Gobert and some just progression as a guy thats played longer.

With the info I have right now I am picking Gobert. We dont know what either guy will make we can only make guesses so I am taking that oit of rhe equation. With Naz having a player option i dont know what value rhe Wolves could get for him or for Gobert on a 1 year deal. I'm glad we dont have to pick now because it wouldn't be hard to be convinced to what Cool said and pick Naz.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:39 pm This is an interesting question to propose right now. obviously we have a whole season to assess both players the team etc . i think a nunber of us think its quite possible Naz improves once again because he has done it every year if his career and he is still a young big.

In addition as its been pointed out in theory what Naz can do is maybe more easy to replace for rhe Wolves than what Rudy does. Gobert is on track for a HOF career. Naz isnt even an established starter yet although espcially after last season I think he is a starting level player.

one thing that could change the calculus is of Towns continues his trajectory into becoming a better defensive player. He isnt ever going to be the defensive factor Gobert is but it seems he has become more valuable on that end the past 3-4 years espcially as an individual defender. Could he end up being a guy that could help more on that end as a true center? I am not holding my breath there but there has been some growth on that end maybe some because of playing next to and watching Gobert and some just progression as a guy thats played longer.

With the info I have right now I am picking Gobert. We dont know what either guy will make we can only make guesses so I am taking that oit of rhe equation. With Naz having a player option i dont know what value rhe Wolves could get for him or for Gobert on a 1 year deal. I'm glad we dont have to pick now because it wouldn't be hard to be convinced to what Cool said and pick Naz.
I think the issue is even if KAT continues to improve a bit as a defensive Center, his ceiling isn't that much higher than where he's at now. So then you have to look at the other positions. Can Naz become a plus-level defensive PF if he started next to KAT? And what if Dillingham is the Conley successor as starting PG? Now you are putting even more pressure on your frontline to be excellent at defense.