Monitor is back

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Monitor is back

Post by Monster »

Well my guess is there are some people that post here that aren't exactly thrilled Molitor is back. I'm happy about it.

It will be interesting to see who they get for a pitching coach. I'm hoping Neil Allen has been able to get his life back on track. I was surprised that Falvey/Lavine kept him on in some ways but I was glad he was able to stay with the organization this year for him as a person having some stability in his life.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Monitor is back

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I'm actually mixed about the news. I think he is one of the worst game managers in the league, and found myself questioning more of his moves than any other manager I have ever followed. But on the other hand, he deserves some credit for the improvement in the team this year. While I question his strategy and knowledge of the game (it's not a coincidence that HOF players are almost always below average managers...in fact, Molly is currently the only former great player managing a team), his calm demeanor must have a positive effect on our young players. I still wish we had a great strategist running the show, but I'm not completely unhappy with his new contract.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:I'm actually mixed about the news. I think he is one of the worst game managers in the league, and found myself questioning more of his moves than any other manager I have ever followed. But on the other hand, he deserves some credit for the improvement in the team this year. While I question his strategy and knowledge of the game (it's not a coincidence that HOF players are almost always below average managers...in fact, Molly is currently the only former great player managing a team), his calm demeanor must have a positive effect on our young players. I still wish we had a great strategist running the show, but I'm not completely unhappy with his new contract.

LST good post. A couple of things to consider.

1. It seems like Molitor gets rave reviews from various media people that follow the team in terms of managing the team, being the leader. Smalley said the players both young and old really really trust him.

2. The strategic part...(which I think is fair to question) it has been reported from a number of people Molitor is open to new ideas concepts etc. It's been reported the relationship between him his staff and the people in the front office is very collaborative so some of the strategy certainly could evolve. Wetmore on the touch em all podcast, recently said that Molitor in the past has admitted he hasn't always managed the bullpen well and was wanting to improve. Mackey pointed out that the bullpen he has had to manage as Twins manager (not to mention the terrible starting pitching making you dip into the pen) was pretty tough for anyone to work with. He said Molitor should be demanding improvements in those areas from the front office. :) Its rare to get someone in any position that can do everything well. If Molitor is willing to collaborate while not giving up his vast baseball knowledge and what has served him well as a manager in 2 out of 3 years then it could be a great fit. I know Souhan said he has been impressed with the humility Molitor has shown as a manager after being a great player. He said that Molitor hasn't always been that way.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

That's a good point by Souhan about Mollie's humility. He was a guy who didn't always have that reputation as a player, and it's good that perhaps he recognizes his limitations as a manager and his willing to learn from others. He's an easy guy to cheer for and I like his style, so I'm on board with the decision by the brain trust.