Should The Minnesota Vikings Consider Anquan Boldin?

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Should The Minnesota Vikings Consider Anquan Boldin?

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/4/11363216/minnesota-vikings-anquan-boldin

I like it. I like it a lot. I know he is old, but I think we need a WR like him for this team. If we sign a young guy he would be a great mentor who still can play. (kind of like the Wolves plan but he actually can still play)
Monster

Re: Should The Minnesota Vikings Consider Anquan Boldin?

Post by Monster »

I like this idea I have always liked Boldin and much of his career he has been underrated.

So why is this unlikely to happen? Think back to last year James Jones gets cut from the Raiders. Obviously money was a big factor there but they had some nice players they liked there also. (I spent some time researching about Jones because a good friend of me is a Packers fan and claimed the teams that dumped him were completely stupid lol) then he goes to the Giants and they let him go also even though he was dirt cheap. Why? They had other players they liked better and would you question the Giants when it comes to receivers? They come up with some worthwhile guy every year. So the Packers lucked into a guy they needed bad and happened to know their system. Obviously Jones is a legit vet WR but he also wasn't good enough to fix the Packers issues last year either.

So now we come to the Vikings. They basically have an open spot at WR with letting go of Wallace. It seems likely they will add WR they want to keep on the roster whether it's in the 1st round 2nd round or 5th round etc. So they sign Boldin what WR are they going to have to cut? Patterson is safe he is arguably the best KR in the league and the Vikings still value him which is outlined in the article below. Diggs Wright are safe and Theilen is pretty much the do it all player that every team keeps around and it's not like he doesn't still have some legit upside as a receiver himself. So it's down to Charles Johnson and the Rookie they draft assuming he isn't a top pick. So maybe Johnson is the guy that gets dumped but I think we agree he has shown SOME potential to be something in THEORY he is type of WR this team needs if he can put it together to some decent extent. Do they dump that potential for Boldin? Maybe I'm not at practices etc maybe CJ is a tease that will never amount to anything. I think you get my point though that it isn't quite as easy as just bringing in a guy like Boldin even though it does make sense. A lot of other teams have similar situations. It's possible the Vikings end up with some other WR gem undrafted or 7th rounder or some other young camp player that shows something creating another tough decision.

In addition what kind of offense are they really going to be utilizing? The 2nd link below talks about adding everyone's perspectives and coming up with some good stuff. There are some pretty good quotes in there from Zimmer. How would Boldin fit into what they may be trying to do? Would he have a reasonable defined role for a roster spot?

On the new 25 yard line touchback rule and Walsh and Patterson's role

http://es.pn/1XeBI1o

Zimmer wants to take ideas from Shurmer Sparano etc mesh them into the offense.

http://es.pn/1RXfRwX
Monster

Post by Monster »

Word is Greg Jennings wants to come back. I like the guy I think he can play but it's a no thanks from me. There isn't a role for him (really more of a slot guy) and the same stuff I wrote about having a challenge having an open roster spot for Boldin with young talent at WR applies to him as well.

I agree with what you are saying. I almost feel like CJ is the guy out if he doesn't bounce back. I think it would help the young group to have a guy like Boldin to show them how to get it done. I like Jennings, but it is hard to see him fit here without injuries.
Monster

Post by Monster »

James Jones is available also. There are lots of vet WRs available if this list is accurate.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/available/
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well this explains some things. Maybe he can still be a worthwhile guy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/18486/vikings-charles-johnson-recovered-from-broken-rib-looking-forward-to-2016
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

monsterpile wrote:Well this explains some things. Maybe he can still be a worthwhile guy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/18486/vikings-charles-johnson-recovered-from-broken-rib-looking-forward-to-2016

I just read that post, I'm still hopeful that CJ can grow into a Jake Reed type of WR. He reminds me quite a bit of Jake, both are tall, fast but not quick, good but not great hands, neither would make a good number 1 receiver, but Jake was, and I think CJ can be a phenomenal number 2 if you have the right guy opposite him!

I have that feeling with CJ too. I am wondering if the organization feels the same way so they have not gone after anyone.