Eric Weddle looking for team ready to contend

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Eric Weddle looking for team ready to contend

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Prioritizing winning over salary should probably help Weddle's job hunt, although different teams will surely have different comfort levels with plugging Weddle into their secondary.

[list]
[*] We won our division - check
[*] We would love not to break the bank - check
[*] We have an opening for him next to a good safety - check
[/list]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/19/eric-weddle-looking-for-team-ready-to-contend/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Re: Eric Weddle looking for team ready to contend

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

I like Weddle. I also like the guys the Rams cut (Animal Junior, Long Junior, and the TE).

If they sign all three of those, and Newman with a move to safety, that just leaves Cornerback (but they might need as many as 3). As far as Offense, resigning Line is crucial, and give Asiata's carries to him. That leaves OL, one good WR, and maybe a PR is they don't like CP there.

Is it Labor day yet?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Chargers fan here. I root for the Vikings on the side because of my loyalties to other Minnesota franchises, but just not diehard like the Bolts. Anyways, Weddle would be a fantastic signing if you could get him. The things you can do with him from a defensive scheming standpoint is unlike any other free safety in the league. He's tremendous in coverage, both man and zone, and the rare ability with him is that you can line him up inside the box as an extra LB of sorts to play against the run and rush the passer and he won't be overmatched. Above all else, though, he's very high character and a vocal leader in the locker room and practice field. He's not shy to step in and give words of encouragement or get on that ass if need be. He's a fan favorite and it pisses us Bolts fans off that we're letting him walk away. Like I said, if you can get him and free safety is a position that needs help, go for it and be excited. He's a big time player. Nice compliment to Harrison Smith too, who's arguably the best strong safety in the league.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I've always liked Weddle and after looking he is actually younger than I thought he was. He seems like the type of guy that the Vikings might be willing to spend big money on even though they mostly have looked to younger players to add with big FA dollars. I am not going to get my hopes up about him coming here because it sounds so damn good.

Cam - Are you his agent?
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I think Weddle is exactly what this team needs in the safety spot opposite Smith. If he's willing to take a small cut to go to a contender that's great because we'd need to get him around the 8-10 million range to still have flexibility. I'd also like if we snagged Laurinaitis now that he was cut to add some quality depth to our linebacking core. He may cost too much though to bring in as a third LB to Kendricks and Barr, but starting those 3 with Greenway as depth would make that a position of strength next year as well. Snag Weddle for 8-10 and Laurinaitis for 6 and then extend Smith and we'd make a top 10 defense even better next year. I think we make a play for the big offensive names first (aka the Jeffrey's and the top O-linemen) and then just turn our defense into a legitimate brick wall if that doesn't work.

Khans, I like the idea of Weddle and Laurinaitis as free agents. for this team. I would love to get Kelechi Osemele for the OL.