Terry Ryan

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Terry Ryan

Post by Jester1534 »

Terry Ryan has been fired by the Twins. Thoughts guys? Very weird move by the twins especially in season with the trade deadline coming up.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Re: Terry Ryan

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Thank you. Finally, someone who wants to discuss the Twins rather than the 14th and 15th best wolves.

The must have been very far apart on how to handle the deadline for this to happen now. I would guess that they are getting offers for expensive players that Ryan wanted to turn down, based on what we know about the people involved.

I have to say, the facebook comments from the BSPN story are the best. First, Ryan wasn't GM when they signed the Mauer extension. Two, like they would have had the balls to let him walk.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Idk if he was the one to sign the extension but I do know he was the one that turned down the Lester Ellsbury trade for Mauer after his MVP season

Jester1534 wrote:Idk if he was the one to sign the extension but I do know he was the one that turned down the Lester Ellsbury trade for Mauer after his MVP season

Now, I thought that happened, but I couldn't find any proof. If you have it, please provide a link. And also, when I discuss the non-trade between the Twins and BOS, I make sure to provide healthy amounts of blame to Mauer for invoking his no-trade clause.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I wonder what guys he was fighting for? Does the team want to sell all its pitching, does it want to get rid of Dozier, Plouffe and Nunez?
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:Idk if he was the one to sign the extension but I do know he was the one that turned down the Lester Ellsbury trade for Mauer after his MVP season

Now, I thought that happened, but I couldn't find any proof. If you have it, please provide a link. And also, when I discuss the non-trade between the Twins and BOS, I make sure to provide healthy amounts of blame to Mauer for invoking his no-trade clause.

I can't provide a link but as a season ticket holder I've had this discussion with Terry Ryan and he confirmed to me that was the trade from Boston and that Mauer didn't turn it down he did.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Here's a link when Mauer first moved to first base and Boston was interested, this is when we put Mauer on Waivers

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8683859/joe-mauer-trade-target-boston-red-sox

Jester1534 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:

I can't provide a link but as a season ticket holder I've had this discussion with Terry Ryan and he confirmed to me that was the trade from Boston and that Mauer didn't turn it down he did.

I think he was falling on the sword because he knew if word got out fans would take it out on Mauer. As they should have.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

They only other thing I've gotten a big scoop from Ryan that basically the higher ups that made the Go Gonfor Hardy swap. Saying they were so desperate for a shortstop to make a run. He didn't want to give up on Gomez. But if you remember that was the first year of the stadium and they paid guys like Thome and Hudson to make a run.

Jester1534 wrote:I wonder what guys he was fighting for? Does the team want to sell all its pitching, does it want to get rid of Dozier, Plouffe and Nunez?

I can't imagine Ryan fighting over Plouffe, seeing that Sano is the new 3B and Plouffe has been injured a lot this year. I also have trouble believing that he had a problem "selling high" on Nunez with Polonco, then Gordon, waiting. I think it was about Dozier and Ervin Santana, and also the decision to send Bosher to Rochester instead of May.