Claeys/Kill Era over

Golden Gophers Of All Sports
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Claeys/Kill Era over

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I am not shocked and was more disappointed he got the job last year in the first place. I thought Kill thought he was the best thing to ever happen here and coming in after Brewster the bar was very very low.

Love this parting shot by Claeys, I wonder if he will keep his word about the 50k donation he promised.
"I won't be up here freezing my ass off, so y'all enjoy the winter," Claeys told Minneapolis TV station KSTP.

Not sure what Mitch Leidner had to gain from this, but he would have been better off not commenting and focusing on the draft since his career is done. Not sure why his agent didn't make sure he kept his mouth shut.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18402000/minnesota-golden-gophers-announce-firing-coach-tracy-claeys
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Claeys/Kill Era over

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I am not shocked and was more disappointed he got the job last year in the first place. I thought Kill thought he was the best thing to ever happen here and coming in after Brewster the bar was very very low.

Love this parting shot by Claeys, I wonder if he will keep his word about the 50k donation he promised.
"I won't be up here freezing my ass off, so y'all enjoy the winter," Claeys told Minneapolis TV station KSTP.

Not sure what Mitch Leidner had to gain from this, but he would have been better off not commenting and focusing on the draft since his career is done. Not sure why his agent didn't make sure he kept his mouth shut.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18402000/minnesota-golden-gophers-announce-firing-coach-tracy-claeys

What did he say that was so outrageous?
Do you really think it matters to pro scouts?
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Claeys is a brilliant defensive coordinator...he proved that in spades with the creative game plan he designed to help a depleted defense stop Washington State. But right from the start you could tell he wasn't ready for prime time. He had several panicky in-game mistakes, and was never able to handle the public part of being a head coach. Jerry Kill worked his country bumpkin thing to perfection, when he was actually usually the smartest guy in the room. The problem with Claeys is that he is exactly what he appears to be...a country bumpkin not ready for the limelight. This is good news for the Gophers, and Tracy will be gobbled up right away in the role he should be in...defensive coordinator.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

This was the comment I saw.

"No one is happy with the administration right now. I don't know who would want to be a part of this program at this time," he said.

That was a comment he could have kept to himself. More it is just why even stick you head into this. Not that it will effect his career or anything. He looks like he would struggle to bea CFL QB at this time.

longstrangetrip wrote:Claeys is a brilliant defensive coordinator...he proved that in spades with the creative game plan he designed to help a depleted defense stop Washington State. But right from the start you could tell he wasn't ready for prime time. He had several panicky in-game mistakes, and was never able to handle the public part of being a head coach. Jerry Kill worked his country bumpkin thing to perfection, when he was actually usually the smartest guy in the room. The problem with Claeys is that he is exactly what he appears to be...a country bumpkin not ready for the limelight. This is good news for the Gophers, and Tracy will be gobbled up right away in the role he should be in...defensive coordinator.

I was shocked Kills got back into coaching after a year. I was a little miffed that he felt entitled to more when he resigned. Good luck to them both, but they just would have never gotten this program where it needed to go. I think Fleck could be the guy to do it. I hope they can get him, but worry if he comes and crushes it he will be leaving for something better which is a risk worth taking.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

This was the comment I saw.

"No one is happy with the administration right now. I don't know who would want to be a part of this program at this time," he said.

That was a comment he could have kept to himself. More it is just why even stick you head into this. Not that it will effect his career or anything. He looks like he would struggle to bea CFL QB at this time.

Even though Leidner was a mediocre player a lot of the time and probably destined for a bench in Canadian football... I have no problem with that comment. He was a huge part of the program for the past four seasons.

It's not a reach to say that there will be transfers and frustration... and that this will hurt recruiting efforts in the short-term (pending the new hire). Still could be the right choice in the long term though...
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I don't know what to think. I wasn't excited about the Claeys hire, but the guy won 9 games with the worst QB in the Big 10 and stomped one of the best offenses in the league with quadruple backup players. New coaches will make some mistakes. It's part of the learning process. I get why they fired him, but this team will never be successful under this president. He's more interested in making MN the Ivy League of the mid-west than be a state school built around exciting athletics. Nobody is going to get the resources they need to be successful in Big 10 football and they're going to keep losing more and more fans the more they keep jacking up ticket prices for such a mediocre product. The real reason Kill left was the lack of resources and the next coach will have the same problems.

WOW - Jerry Kill's candid interview on Mackey & Judd: I will never step foot inside that stadium again

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2017/01/jerry-kills-candid-interview-mackey-judd-will-never-step-foot-inside-stadium/
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

bleedspeed177 wrote:WOW - Jerry Kill's candid interview on Mackey & Judd: I will never step foot inside that stadium again

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2017/01/jerry-kills-candid-interview-mackey-judd-will-never-step-foot-inside-stadium/

Doesn't Rutgers play there about every other year.

Abe - I think so. I am just so sick of Jerry Kill whining.