Sendejo

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Sendejo

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

He just destroyed a teammate on a big hit whiff and knocked the guy out of the game. Familiar sight. Glad we don't have to see him do it to our guys any more.
Monster

Re: Sendejo

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:He just destroyed a teammate on a big hit whiff and knocked the guy out of the game. Familiar sight. Glad we don't have to see him do it to our guys any more.

I thought the last season or so with the Vikings he really cleaned up his hitting which the way he plays was somewhat hard to do. And that was after he wore the bring back the violent football shirt or whatever. I just watched the other angle...yeah not good. Also after the play he initially just walked past his teammate like nothing significant happened. Glad we have Harris who is a better all around player.
tpoff217

Post by tpoff217 »

As an Eagles fan, that was absolutely brutal to watch, he came flying in so recklessly. I'm not too familiar with him as a player, is he known for being pretty reckless? From last night it seemed like he was always trying to light someone up.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

I likened him to a chicken with it's head cut off. He is just looking to ram something.

tpoff217 wrote:As an Eagles fan, that was absolutely brutal to watch, he came flying in so recklessly. I'm not too familiar with him as a player, is he known for being pretty reckless? From last night it seemed like he was always trying to light someone up.

He would on occasion in MN do the same thing to guys like Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes who are infinitely more important to our defense than he was. Earlier in his career he would take out just as many teammates as opposing players because he just launches himself without any control of where his hit lands. He improved in this area, but it was definitely a throwback play for him to crush his own teammate on a missed hit.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:
tpoff217 wrote:As an Eagles fan, that was absolutely brutal to watch, he came flying in so recklessly. I'm not too familiar with him as a player, is he known for being pretty reckless? From last night it seemed like he was always trying to light someone up.

He would on occasion in MN do the same thing to guys like Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes who are infinitely more important to our defense than he was. Earlier in his career he would take out just as many teammates as opposing players because he just launches himself without any control of where his hit lands. He improved in this area, but it was definitely a throwback play for him to crush his own teammate on a missed hit.

Yes Sendejo has rightly earned a rep of crushing his own guys. His willingness to play physical and reckless is somewhat of an asset but it's certainly been a liability especially the way the game is played now. It just highlights even more how amazing it is that Harrison Smith plays the game the way he does and rarely makes an illegal hit. It's honestly hard to play football and hit guys especially as a safety and not hit guys wrong. Smith does it right like 99% of the time. I think he got flagged in preseason...it was almost kinda weird.

monsterpile wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

Yes Sendejo has rightly earned a rep of crushing his own guys. His willingness to play physical and reckless is somewhat of an asset but it's certainly been a liability especially the way the game is played now. It just highlights even more how amazing it is that Harrison Smith plays the game the way he does and rarely makes an illegal hit. It's honestly hard to play football and hit guys especially as a safety and not hit guys wrong. Smith does it right like 99% of the time. I think he got flagged in preseason...it was almost kinda weird.

If Earl Thomas wasn't in the league at the same time Smith would probably be the best safety in the league over the course of his career. The guy is a beast and is everywhere at all times.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

If Earl Thomas wasn't in the league at the same time Smith would probably be the best safety in the league over the course of his career. The guy is a beast and is everywhere at all times.

Good point. I think Smith is one of the best complete do it all safeties I have ever seen play. A chunk of his career has been in an era where IMHO it's more difficult to play the position and he had to adjust to a changing game and never seemed to miss a beat. There have been quite a few good and great Safties in my lifetime but Harrison Smith is a hell of a player. Every team would love to have him on their roster. If I had to pick which was my favorite all time Vikings Safety I would have a hard time picking between one of my favorite all time players as a kid Joey Browner and Harrison Smith. Robert Griffith would be 3rd and I loved that dude too. There were some dark times at that position between the Griffith era and Smith being drafted. Moving up to get Smith was a very big move that Spielman made that sometimes gets lost in the shuffle of some of his failings at other positions. Signing Linval Joseph as a FA was a massive success signing.