Finally, some national recognition for a Minnesota sports team

Golden Gophers Of All Sports
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Finally, some national recognition for a Minnesota sports team

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Yes, sports fan, we are relevant again...on the front page of both espn.com and huffingtonpost.com. It's been a long time.

Unfortunately we are relevant today only because coach Jerry Kill has suffered another seizure. This is a terribly tragic story. Kill is by all reports a nice man and a talented coach, and all he wants to do is coach football. But this is his third on-field seizure since he became Gopher football coach, and you wonder how much longer he will be able to coach. His doctors seem to have his epilepsy under control for the most part, especially when it is not gametime, but the medication doesn't appear to be as effective when Coach Kill finds himself in a stressful situation, and a tight football game seems to be too stressful for him. I have been cheering for Kill and really wanted him to succeed, but I'm afraid it's time for the university to make a move. Perhaps he can continue to coach in a reduced and less stressful role (i.e. not head coach), but continuing to put his family, his coaches and players, and Gopher fans through this agony is unfair. Very sad in many ways, but Norwood Teague: it's time for you to pull your head out of the sand and do the right thing...this week.

Re: Finally, some national recognition for a Minnesota sports team

I just read Souhan's column also saying the time has come, and I see that Teague has scheduled a press conference. It's a terribly sad story, but it's the right move. The university can't continue to put coach Kill in this position. I wish him the best.
Big O [enjin:13874644]

Post by Big O [enjin:13874644] »

LST it looks like you were talking to yourself back in in 2013! Thank goodness Kill seems to be better now. Hell of a game for my Maroon and Gold last night - perhaps a fumble away from beating #2??
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Big O wrote:LST it looks like you were talking to yourself back in in 2013! Thank goodness Kill seems to be better now. Hell of a game for my Maroon and Gold last night - perhaps a fumble away from beating #2??

I don't think there was a scenario where we win last night. We had 1 good offensive drive the entire game. It's a shame this team doesn't have a QB because I think the defense is good enough to hold some of the top teams to below average performances. Also props to Kill for running a 3-3-5 and not getting killed. I've literally only seen that formation in video games and it worked for the most part. If TCU wasn't so used to trying to score fast they could have controlled the whole game by getting 4-5 yards a pop right up the middle.

Ha, nice find Big O...my worst call ever! In my defense, those were tough times for the U. I had just watched the game and focused on the anguished looks on the players' faces as they watched their coach writhing on the ground...just brutal. And it had happened three times in his short career with the U, and always in a stressful game situation. It didn't look like it was something the doctors could control.

But thank god he found the answer...good for Kill and his family, and for the U. He has won everywhere he has been, and they were in that game last night. I love the way he and his coaching staff make in-game adjustments, especially on defense. TCU looked like they were going to put up 50 points during their first drive, but Claeys is so creative on defense that he was able to put together some schemes that really confused what might be the best offensive team in the country. We don't have a reliable QB, but if the two missing offensive lineman can return soon, I think we are going to score some points with a power running game. And our defense is going to be really good. If they can bounce back next week and beat Colorado St., they could win 9 or even 10, games this year.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Brit had a good read on Kill this week.

I followed the game via Twitter and the box score a bit. Heck of an effort. I am not a die hard fan of any college team although since I live here in Lincoln the Huskers are probably my default favorite team but there are just too many te in college to just like one especially since I grew up in SD. It's fun to see the Gophers having some success.