Exercise in Futility - Wolves @ Hawks GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Exercise in Futility - Wolves @ Hawks GDT

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Carlos Danger wrote:My point stands that offense doesn't seem to be an issue so far (Post DLO). Anthony Edwards is not being shut down by other teams without DLO as some have opined. Maybe it will be an issue in the playoffs - hopefully we get to find out.

That particular verbiage has never been argued here, but I have expressed that Anthony Edwards would be defended differently without another volume scorer in D'Angelo Russell playing next to him, and that his play could take a dip as a result, even if momentarily.

Volume-wise, Edwards is still filling it up. He's expected to shoulder the load, dominate touches, and will inevitably "get his" on most nights. The playmaking and scoring efficiency is where you see the hit (so far), however. Teams are loading up on him every night with 3-5 defenders shading his driving lanes. We already talked about this before, if I remember correctly.

Games With D'Angelo Russell (54 GP):
24.8 PPG, 4.5 APG, (3.4 TOV), 53.5 eFG%, 57.4 TS%

Games With Mike Conley Jr. (11 GP):
25.8 PPG, 3.8 APG (3.7 TOV), 50.0 eFG%, 53.5 TS%

The difference may not appear like much at a glance, but keep in mind that the average eFG% and TS% for shooting guards this season is 53.1 and 56.8, respectively. At Edwards' volume, that is significant. That's the difference between being an above average volume scorer and a below average chucker considering what he's asked to do nightly.

We know Edwards' talent. We know his physical ability. He'll be fine long-term and should eventually figure out how to adjust to any defense thrown at him. There have already been signs of that. But it's clear that the assumed "better fit" of a game manager next to him is forcing more attention on him and there's been some slippage in his game. Perhaps that solves itself with more games. Perhaps Karl-Anthony Towns returns and everything works out swimmingly. That certainly is the hope at this point.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:
Camden wrote:I apologize in advance if someone already touched on this, but I was really pleased with Jaden McDaniels' aggressiveness last night. He shot 8-10 from the field including 1-1 from three and 7-9 in the restricted area! He was attacking early and often. I thought he really set the tone for Minnesota.

I think this was huge for a litmus test for Mcdaniels development. You can't just hide your worse defender on him because Mcdaniels will punish him. Small development but huge long term for the growth

McDaniels development on offense has been really nice this year. It feels like something he can continue to build on.

One thing I've been noticing is McDaniels and Gobert seem to have a bit of chemistry on the offensive end especially considering McDaniels role on offense and Gobert's unique positives and negatives as a target around the basket. It seems like more of McDaniels passes to Gobert are being successful and McDaniels is clearly looking for Rudy.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:I apologize in advance if someone already touched on this, but I was really pleased with Jaden McDaniels' aggressiveness last night. He shot 8-10 from the field including 1-1 from three and 7-9 in the restricted area! He was attacking early and often. I thought he really set the tone for Minnesota.

Maybe he was insulted Atlanta put Trae Young on him...

... as he should be. Good to see him take advantage of the obvious mismatch.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

As for the offense pre- and post-trade...

There are ebbs and flows and trends and patterns that might even out a bit over time. But one thing has seemed abundantly clear in several games since the trade...

... in close games in the 4th quarter, teams are stacking their defense to stop Edwards at all costs and Mike Conley has not stepped up as we've pointed out with statistics. D. Russell might not be missed early in the game when teams are in the random flow of things. And none of us are missing his haphazard approach to pressure defense.

But the team desperately needs another shotmaker (see K. Towns) as soon as possible in the close games.
FNG

Post by FNG »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Yeah, and kudos to Finchie. Young is a terrible defender, and Finchie was yelling for whoever he was guarding to be aggressive...Jaden at first, and then Conley. Young was terrible against both of them, and we got some easy buckets. Trae showed us it is possible to be a -4 while scoring 41 points and dishing out 7 assists...he is an exciting offensive player!
FNG

Post by FNG »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:As for the offense pre- and post-trade...

There are ebbs and flows and trends and patterns that might even out a bit over time. But one thing has seemed abundantly clear in several games since the trade...

... in close games in the 4th quarter, teams are stacking their defense to stop Edwards at all costs and Mike Conley has not stepped up as we've pointed out with statistics. D. Russell might not be missed early in the game when teams are in the random flow of things. And none of us are missing his haphazard approach to pressure defense.

But the team desperately needs another shotmaker (see K. Towns) as soon as possible in the close games.

Yeah, the return of KAT will definitely help.

And even though we are scoring more PPG AD than we were BC, I don't know that that is a sign of a better offense. I don't know the stats on this, but my eye test tells me we are getting a lot of easy buckets because of our improved pressure defense leading to steals rather than an improved halfcourt offense...we had 12 steals last night, and a lot of them led to easy baskets. I still see room for improvement though in our half court offense...KAT will help.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

FNG wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:As for the offense pre- and post-trade...

Yeah, the return of KAT will definitely help.

And even though we are scoring more PPG AD than we were BC, I don't know that that is a sign of a better offense. I don't know the stats on this, but my eye test tells me we are getting a lot of easy buckets because of our improved pressure defense leading to steals rather than an improved halfcourt offense...we had 12 steals last night, and a lot of them led to easy baskets. I still see room for improvement though in our half court offense...KAT will help.

Great point, FNG. Our pressure defense on the perimeter has been pretty effective at generating turnovers lately. I reminds me a bit of last season down the stretch.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

We're actually forcing turnovers at a lesser rate than before the deadline. However, I can't determine the rate of live ball turnovers that result in transition points.

The defense, as noted before, has taken a step back over this stretch. Once again, I think some have completely overestimated the defensive impact 35-year old Mike Conley Jr. brings. And now he predominantly plays the same chaser role that his predecessor had, which still leaves Jaden McDaniels and Anthony Edwards defending opposing ball-handlers.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

FNG wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Yeah, and kudos to Finchie. Young is a terrible defender, and Finchie was yelling for whoever he was guarding to be aggressive...Jaden at first, and then Conley. Young was terrible against both of them, and we got some easy buckets. Trae showed us it is possible to be a -4 while scoring 41 points and dishing out 7 assists...he is an exciting offensive player!

Yeah, holy balls, he's bad at D. I was thinking that the whole game. He'd make these crazy-tough floaters on offense and you'd think, "shit, we're in trouble because there's nothing you can do to stop that," but then he'd just let his guy blow right by him on D, all his teammates would scramble to cover his guy, and swing, swing, two passes later we'd have an easy shot in the paint. It's no accident we had so many assists given that kind of D.