Shabazz Expelled From NBA Rookie Transition Program

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
worldK

Re: Shabazz Expelled From NBA Rookie Transition Program

Post by worldK »

lipoli390 wrote:Wild -- You're right about one thing. I will definitely bring this up in every game report following a poor performance by Shabazz. :). Unfortunately, I suspect there will be a lot of them.

Lip, I dont think you will bring this up much in your game reports next season mainly because I believe Shabazz will be a constant dnp-cd and d-league player next season. Unless, he starts acting out while seating on the end of the bench or you start doing game reports on the d-league..I dont think he matters much next season.
Riverside_Viking [enjin:6662498]

Post by Riverside_Viking [enjin:6662498] »

papalrep wrote:What a GD dumb s---. McCants would do something like this.

No he went for Khloe kardashion before she got somewhat good looking
whatdtcom [enjin:6685945]

Post by whatdtcom [enjin:6685945] »

I know one or two other people mentioned this but.....wouldn't you think taking this girl back to HER room would have been a better idea? Or buy her a room if she just happened to be "there". Seriously, a one night hotel room can't possible cost more then $400. And that's probably generous.

Chalmers was fined 20K for his episode. Fact is, these 1st rounders already have millions waiting for them...guaranteed. 20K to a one million dollar contract is 2 percent. It's nothing.

If the NBA wanted to really be serious. They fine him half of this year's pay. Make Bazz' be the example and going forward, they WILL get the attention of the new rookies. I don't think the NBA players association will go for it. But look at the new steriods (PED) case and the players being suspended for the MLB. 50+ games or roughly 1/3 of their pay being wipe out. AROD....wow, one plus year or like 35M.

But certainly. Bazz' has to make better chocies now that he's in the NBA. It's not just basketball anymore, it's a business. He needs to understand that.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Half of this year's pay? That's a $500K fine for something that was perfectly legal by this country's laws. Geez man. You'd be going way overboard if you were in charge of things like that.

Shabazz having to come back to it next year is punishment enough. That's embarassing. Rooks aren't worried about money as much as they are their egos. Hurt the ego before their bank account. These guys are 20 and 21 years old who are likely to have multiple contracts ahead of them.
shahidi124 [enjin:6591729]

Post by shahidi124 [enjin:6591729] »

whatdtcom wrote:I know one or two other people mentioned this but.....wouldn't you think taking this girl back to HER room would have been a better idea? Or buy her a room if she just happened to be "there". Seriously, a one night hotel room can't possible cost more then $400. And that's probably generous.

Chalmers was fined 20K for his episode. Fact is, these 1st rounders already have millions waiting for them...guaranteed. 20K to a one million dollar contract is 2 percent. It's nothing.

If the NBA wanted to really be serious. They fine him half of this year's pay. Make Bazz' be the example and going forward, they WILL get the attention of the new rookies. I don't think the NBA players association will go for it. But look at the new steriods (PED) case and the players being suspended for the MLB. 50+ games or roughly 1/3 of their pay being wipe out. AROD....wow, one plus year or like 35M.

But certainly. Bazz' has to make better chocies now that he's in the NBA. It's not just basketball anymore, it's a business. He needs to understand that.

No, half his pay isn't enough. We have to make sure no one ever does this again. Ban him from the league. Make sure he never plays in the states again. Only then will people know what happens when you violate the NBA boy scout, I mean, rookie transition program rules!
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Everyone settle the hell down. This is a good thing. Look at the names on the list. All of them have had some success in the league. He just proved that he will have a long productive career with this move.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Everyone settle the hell down. This is a good thing. Look at the names on the list. All of them have had some success in the league. He just proved that he will have a long productive career with this move.

I am admittedly a Flip apologist so my prejudice is to defend his draft and therefore put a positive spin on Muhammad, but I see nothing positive about this issue. I don't know if your comment is tongue in cheek or not, bleedspeed, but because of his previous actions Muhammad can't be given a pass on this like those other names on the list. Because of the age controversy (don't try to put that only on his dad...who doesn't know how old they are?), the infamous end of game lack of celebration with his teammates, and just his general surliness from time to time, Shabazz is going to be deemed guilty until proven innocent and needs to be ultra careful about his behavior. This to me smacks of a narcissistic guy who doesn't think the rules apply to him, and that makes me wonder how coachable or team-oriented he is going to be.

Too often, players who begin their careers in this fashion never change, and that is what I am worried about. Shabazz has too much natural ability to throw it away because of personality issues. I'm trying to remain optimistic by looking at the rare cases of athletes with unattractive personal characteristics who eventually turned it around and were successful. Glen Perkins comes to mind. He was disliked by teammates at Stillwater, the U of M, and at every stop in pro baseball, and at one point was even litigating against the Twins. But somehow the light bulb came on and he changed. He is now a model teammate and well liked by the fans, and the success has followed. But stories like this are rare. Then there are guys like Randy Moss, who were always a personal problem but still succeeded because of their freakish abilities. Unfortunately, Shabazz does not have this kind of standout athleticism and ironically relies more on character (hard work, drive to be the best, etc,) to be successful. I'm not giving up on Muhammad, but I am quite troubled by this incident, and hope he is able to find the Glen Perkins road to maturity and success.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

If I'm the T Wolves, I match the fine and make him pay double. He went to that camp as a representative of our organization and couldn't follow a simple rule that nobody since the Beasley draft class has broken. This reeks of his selfish mentality that was with him at UCLA. The only way those guys get it is when it is too late. I would make him play in the D League all this year just to hope that it is a big enough reality check to change the mentality now. Players don't change until they have to, so I say put his career on the line now so he gets it before his rookie contract is up otherwise we are looking at a wasted pick because the guy won't get it if you don't force him to get it. He's been spoon fed his whole basketball life. If you don't show him the tough love now, you'll just get another Beasley who won't care and won't be worth the trouble. If we continue to spoon feed him, he will act the same. At least if it goes further south with the tough love, he can get weeded out of the system earlier and won't cost us any more money than he has to. It is a harsh stance, but if he's going to act like a child, then he needs to get treated like one until he grows up.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

khans2k5 wrote:If I'm the T Wolves, I match the fine and make him pay double. He went to that camp as a representative of our organization and couldn't follow a simple rule that nobody since the Beasley draft class has broken. This reeks of his selfish mentality that was with him at UCLA. The only way those guys get it is when it is too late. I would make him play in the D League all this year just to hope that it is a big enough reality check to change the mentality now. Players don't change until they have to, so I say put his career on the line now so he gets it before his rookie contract is up otherwise we are looking at a wasted pick because the guy won't get it if you don't force him to get it. He's been spoon fed his whole basketball life. If you don't show him the tough love now, you'll just get another Beasley who won't care and won't be worth the trouble. If we continue to spoon feed him, he will act the same. At least if it goes further south with the tough love, he can get weeded out of the system earlier and won't cost us any more money than he has to. It is a harsh stance, but if he's going to act like a child, then he needs to get treated like one until he grows up.

I like the tough love stance. The kid doesn't deserve a break on this. He needs to earn the trust of the organization and that is going to take time.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

The Wolves should take him aside the first day of camp and have him watch documentaries on McCants and Beasley, over and over, all day long. Then sit down for just a few moments and explain to him that both of those players were more physically talented than he is and they've both bombed out in the NBA.

He needs to be 100% focused, or he'l be 100% done with this league by the end of his rookie deal.