Shohei Ohtani

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Shohei Ohtani

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:We didn't make the cut. Jester do you have any thoughts on what of the other international FA the Twins should get in on? There are a few guys still since the Braves couldn't sign their guys.

I'm pretty bummed about this, but I'm working on a winter meetings plan that I'm going to post in the next day or too been too busy at work to be posting much lately.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

OK. I get SD, LAA, LAD, SF, & SEA. They all have large Japanese populations, so the endorsement possibilities are there.

And I get CHC. They are a well run organization.

Um....TEX? A front office that has done next to nothing right since John Hart left, just so he can be called racial slurs every time he goes to the grocery store?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Twins traded for 2 prospects with their international money. I'd be curious what Jester has to say about these guys.

"TWINS TRADE: The #MNTwins make a second trade tonight acquiring outfielder Jacob Pearson from the #Angels in exchange for 1 million dollars in international bonus pool cap money. Pearson is just 19 hit .236 in 40 games."

"The Angels have acquired more international pool space ($1M, according to @Ken_Rosenthal) from the Twins for OF Jacob Pearson, one of their top prospects. Angels now can spend $2.315M for Ohtani. Seattle also got $1M in trade with Twins. They are up to $2.55M. Rangers still $3.5M"
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

The other prospect the Twins got was C David Banuelos...I have to admit I have never heard of him, but like Pearson, he is ranked in the Baseball America top 100. Pearson is a guy the Twins know well and would have drafted had the angels not snagged him. He's a toolsy LH OF that was ranked #5 among Angels prospects. Getting these two guys for just international money is grand theft larceny...this is a very good day for the Twins.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I am glad they took advantage of the situation. Don't they still have a 1M left? Maybe SD or SF wants more international money to throw at Ohtani.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I am glad they took advantage of the situation. Don't they still have a 1M left? Maybe SD or SF wants more international money to throw at Ohtani.

The Twins may want to spend some on that money on international player/s. As someone pointed out on twitter even if these teams don't get Ohtani they still have some nice money they can spend to sign an international players that they may not have been able to before. The hilarious takes are from Twins fans whining about the Twins being cheap for trading money. Do these fans not know that these prospect have contracts to be paid? lol
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:I am glad they took advantage of the situation. Don't they still have a 1M left? Maybe SD or SF wants more international money to throw at Ohtani.

The Twins may want to spend some on that money on international player/s. As someone pointed out on twitter even if these teams don't get Ohtani they still have some nice money they can spend to sign an international players that they may not have been able to before. The hilarious takes are from Twins fans whining about the Twins being cheap for trading money. Do these fans not know that these prospect have contracts to be paid? lol

Ha, I know! The Twins did great in this process, and there's no room for whining. I'm not exactly sure, but I don't even think this cost the Twins any money...and they picked up 2 top 100 players! I think they only traded the "right" to spend money on international players, correct?
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Ha, I know! The Twins did great in this process, and there's no room for whining. I'm not exactly sure, but I don't even think this cost the Twins any money...and they picked up 2 top 100 players! I think they only traded the "right" to spend money on international players, correct?

Thats what the silly "Twin are cheap" fans think the Twins did. Traded away a chance to spend money and are cheap. The guys got back cost money I don't care enough to find out. Neal I reporting the Twins actually had a higher $$$ bid for Maiten but the Twins infield depth in the minors made his camp look in another direction. The Twins with middle infield depth in the organization?!?!? Is that legal? lol
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Thats what the silly "Twin are cheap" fans think the Twins did. Traded away a chance to spend money and are cheap. The guys got back cost money I don't care enough to find out. Neal I reporting the Twins actually had a higher $$$ bid for Maiten but the Twins infield depth in the minors made his camp look in another direction. The Twins with middle infield depth in the organization?!?!? Is that legal? lol

I been sayin this for years now that we have legit 3-4 future major leaguers up the middle. Also I do not know these guys that have been traded for except I've read they will rank around 15-20 in our system but remember our system is still loaded with young talent.

From what I've heard and read it sounds like the twins might be still shopping there last 1.2 million, which I'm fine with if they can't get Ohtani and don't like any of the Cuban defectors or the Dominican guys then why not trade for some prospects they do like.
Monster

Post by Monster »

It's early but this guy might be pretty good. I watched a couple condensed games this morning and it's pretty impressive what he has done already. Obviously he is gonna tail off from this hot start both on the mound and hitting but man I would love to have this guy on the Twins. If he has a great career I am just gonna enjoy it though. It's not like he went to some powerhouse team over the Twins.