JJ Reddick Podcast with Zach Lowe (Minnesota Highlights)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095]

Re: JJ Reddick Podcast with Zach Lowe (Minnesota Highlights)

Post by slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095] »

lipoli390 wrote:Here's my final thought on Lowe's report that the Wolves might fleece someone in deal for Wiggins: the chances of that happening are slim to none and slim's out of town.

True. I have been out of town for a long Long time. :-)
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

slimcalhoun27 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Here's my final thought on Lowe's report that the Wolves might fleece someone in deal for Wiggins: the chances of that happening are slim to none and slim's out of town.

True. I have been out of town for a long Long time. :-)

Hey there you are! I agree with Lip. We're stuck with Wiggins. New shiny GM isn't gonna improve the situation.
Duke13

Post by Duke13 »

worldK wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:
worldK wrote:Its nice to see the wolves being pro active for a change, even with no cap space. We need to see actual results though. I like rosas being active and exploring all possibilities. But ultimately, he needs to execute a move that will move the needle for us.

I worry that he will make deals just to make deals because he feels he need to prove something.

That could very well be the case. Il give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he could pull off an advantageous deal for us.

So far I like the saric+11 for 6 deal. I like culver a lot and while he may be plan B, he still is a tier above the likely 11th pick in my view.

Still, rosas needs to make a home run deal. Being active is exciting, but actual execution and result is what matters.

"He needs to make a homerun deal". I kind of disagree with this. I think he'll be smart and calculated, he'll pull the trigger if he sees it a good move. But I'm hoping and have faith that he won't just make a move to make one. There is opportunity cost for every move. Can't fix it in one off season. Nothing wrong with waiting until next offseason, have another lottery pick, won't have to give an asset to get off Teague's deal. And yes it's more likely then not you'll have to give up a pick for somebody to take his deal this offseason.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Where do I sign to dump Wiggins, Teague and G with a combination of picks and Okogie to get Russell and Harris? How many t's do I have to cross and i's to dot to make it happen?
Sundog [enjin:18897165]

Post by Sundog [enjin:18897165] »

#TrusttheRosas

It feels to me that the Wolves front office, maybe for the first time ever, might have a real sense of how to put a team together. I liked the Saric + 11 move for the 6, because they saw that Dario wasn't going to fit in with how they want to play, and they got good value for moving him. I really liked the Wolves' draft. I also like what I read in the Strib this morning:

"For us, free agency is important, but it's not the priority," Rosas said. "We're building this program through the draft. We're building it through trades and resetting and developing. Free agency plays an important role, but it's a calculated and strategic role. You don't want to be in free agency for the sake of being in free agency."
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

"Making a move just to make a move."

Ok. I might be ok with it in this case. It's not like the Wolves haven't given these players enough time.

Wiggins - 5 years.
KAT - 4 years.
Dieng - 6 years.
Teague - 2 years.
Tyus Jones - 4 years.
Okogie - Only one season... but 74 games in today's NBA is nothing to sneeze at. The Wolves should have a good idea what they have (or will have) with Okogie.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

My thing with all of this is yes we can be patient, wait until Teague contract is off the books and try to reevaluate next offseason. But next season the caliber of FA are going down compared this year. Also there is not a 23 year old all star that is friends our franchise cornerstone available next offseason. The only reason this is even possible of the wolves this offseason is a higher tier free agent in DLO actually wants to play for the Wolves. That never happens and that will not happen again in the near future.

We always think of what could go wrong. But what if it goes right, we would have 2 All Star caliber players on their first year of 2nd contract and have the inside track at possibly adding Booker, in 4 years when Wiggins comes off the books.

We got to gamble sometimes. And the chance of adding a young all star in future will not be there. It might fail but Im sick of just hoping draft picks become studs. It is very unlikely that whoever we draft will be better than Dlo currently is.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Sundog wrote:#TrusttheRosas

It feels to me that the Wolves front office, maybe for the first time ever, might have a real sense of how to put a team together. I liked the Saric + 11 move for the 6, because they saw that Dario wasn't going to fit in with how they want to play, and they got good value for moving him. I really liked the Wolves' draft. I also like what I read in the Strib this morning:

"For us, free agency is important, but it's not the priority," Rosas said. "We're building this program through the draft. We're building it through trades and resetting and developing. Free agency plays an important role, but it's a calculated and strategic role. You don't want to be in free agency for the sake of being in free agency."

This is exactly what I wanted to hear from Rosas. And while I still believe he made a mistake not swapping Covington for Garland, I'm at peace with the Rosas front office. I do think they get it.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

lipoli390 wrote:
Sundog wrote:#TrusttheRosas

This is exactly what I wanted to hear from Rosas. And while I still believe he made a mistake not swapping Covington for Garland, I'm at peace with the Rosas front office. I do think they get it.

Giving up Covington to get Garland would have been a huge mistake
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Duke13 wrote:
worldK wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:
worldK wrote:Its nice to see the wolves being pro active for a change, even with no cap space. We need to see actual results though. I like rosas being active and exploring all possibilities. But ultimately, he needs to execute a move that will move the needle for us.

I worry that he will make deals just to make deals because he feels he need to prove something.

That could very well be the case. Il give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he could pull off an advantageous deal for us.

So far I like the saric+11 for 6 deal. I like culver a lot and while he may be plan B, he still is a tier above the likely 11th pick in my view.

Still, rosas needs to make a home run deal. Being active is exciting, but actual execution and result is what matters.

"He needs to make a homerun deal". I kind of disagree with this. I think he'll be smart and calculated, he'll pull the trigger if he sees it a good move. But I'm hoping and have faith that he won't just make a move to make one. There is opportunity cost for every move. Can't fix it in one off season. Nothing wrong with waiting until next offseason, have another lottery pick, won't have to give an asset to get off Teague's deal. And yes it's more likely then not you'll have to give up a pick for somebody to take his deal this offseason.

Duke - You captured my thinking completely. Those who believe they have to make deals, generally make bad ones. The key to success for Rosas or any executive or negotiator is to be smart and calculated, pulling the trigger on a deal that makes sense. Having regained my composure after what I considered a terribly disappointing draft night, I've settled into the view that Rosas is smart and very calculating. He doesn't strike me as a guy who acts precipitously or feels he has to impress by making a big splash. In short, he doesn't seem reckless.

In fact, what Rosas did on draft night gives us a good sense of how he approaches the job. As the draft approached and continuing on draft night, Rosas obviously explored various options with the #11 pick, which likely included moving up in the draft as his first choice. He identified his top target as Darius Garland and attempted to trade up to #4 to ensure he could get him. But much to my chagrin, Rosas had obviously decided that giving up Covington was too big a price for Garland with Culver available as an alternative. So he said no to New Orleans and then checked with Cleveland, again finding the price of moving up too high. He finally swapped picks with the Suns to move up to #6 at a price (Saric) he considered reasonable, knowing he'd end up with Culver at a minimum and still possibly Garland. While I think Rosas made a mistake not giving up Covington for Garland, I appreciate that his decision-making was methodical and carefully calculated. He had a clear strategy with assets valued and contingencies in place. He then executed his plan. It's more Spurs like than Rockets like. So Rosas doesn't seem like a guy who will make a deal just to make one. I'll admit I'm afraid he might, but I'm pretty sure he won't. While I think his calculus was off regarding Covington and Garland, I believe the approach Rosas is taking will pay off for the Wolves in the long run.