Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Free Agency with Other Teams

Post by Monster »

SameOldDrew wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
slimcalhoun27 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
slimcalhoun27 wrote:So since we are below the cap limit, we can't go above it? And since other teams are above they can continue to spend and stay above that level?

I'm confused on the max, cap ceiling, luxury tax levels and how the NBA doesn't punish more teams that spend like crazy (stupidly) and still add like Golden state has this summer. It's my real frustration with this league....players contracts are crazy out of control. Even the Taj at 14, Teague 18 and even Dieng at 15. Insane.

Appreciate the banter!

I'll try and make it a bit simple...maybe.

So if you are under the cap you can spend that money. According to the cap experts we are like a million bucks under the cap so that's nothing. Obviously because it's that little they will end up over the cap at some point.

It's confusing to me about when you can get the exceptions but here they are.

If you are over the cap and in the lux tax you have a 5 million exception. This is what a team like Golden state has.

If you are over the cap to begin things but not in the lux tax you can spend about 8 million.

If you end up over the cap after making signings then you have the room exception at around 4 million. This is basically all the Wolves have.

There is also the Bi annual exception (BAE) which can be used every other year and it's like 2 million or something. It doesn't seem that the Wolves have this so they much have used it last year.

Some of the other moving around using cap holds and all that...way to complcated to explain writing stuff out and I don't always get it either.

The problem with the Wolves is that they were pretty far under the cap so they don't get the bigger exception like other teams so they will be down the food chain for money this year. Next year they will have the bigger exception to be able to get guys. Hopefully this year they can add one solid player with their 4 million dollar exception and find some solid players with the vet min. I would think Rush would be a guy that would sign for that if he wants to play here.

Thanks brother. Thanks for the insight guys. Not a fan of this new system and cap levels for teams who are responsible.

The way the exceptions work are not much different than the previous CBA actually. One quirk is that the exceptions are a little higher now than they would have been because they amounts were locked in with the CBA and they didn't go down even though the cap went down and they will rise at the same rate each year.

It is kinda funny the teams that are in the middle ground get the most money to spend with their exception but it basically almost encourages them to be in the lux tax! Lol

I'm an idiot. I still don't understand this. How exactly can you go over the cap (the regular cap, not the lux tax threshold) if you are under it like we are?

[list]
[*] Is it only with exceptions?
[*] Can you go over with extensions of current players who were making less?
[*] Can you go over the cap through a trade or free agent signing?
[/list]

I guess I'd have the same questions about the luxury tax threshold as well.

It's the same question I had. i did come up with some of the ways.

One way to go over the cap would be if we had not renounced the cap hold or bird rights to a player. Let's say we still had the cap hold for Bazz. We could basically pay him whatever we wanted to and go over the cap. I think the Room exception you get if you aren't eligible to get any other exemption so assuming we use that we will go over the cap. So basically one way to go over the cap is sign your own players.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Two additional ways to go over the cap if you are a team that was under the cap at some point (which we were in order to take Teague, and then Gibson, into our cap space:

You can always sign players at the vet minimum, which adds $s over the cap. And you can make trades where you take back 25% (plus $100,000) more salary than you send out.

Edit:

The main way a team over the cap goes even further over the cap is the use of the full MLE (8+ mil) and the BLE, and re-signing their own players who become FAs. This will be us next offseason when Wiggins salary jumps dramatically. We will be WELL over the cap then!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lip mentioned signing Bazz to the rooms exception and here are a few comments. These are basically for the 3 of us that would have interest in bringing him back. Lol

Even as a Bazz guy, in general I don't see the fit right now although a scorer off the bench would be nice. They really do need shooting. If they were able to add the right vet min guys that could shoot and Bazz played with more shooting it might benefit him somewhat. Still his lack of ability to create anything except for himself is a problem.

One advantage of signing him even to a 1 year deal is that they would regain his bird rights and would be able to give him a bigger contract next year if he actually made progression to be a legit player. That's a pretty nice benefit compared to signing another player.

If Bazz was on another team he would be a guy I think a lot of folks here would love to sign to a cheap deal and see if we could get more out of than the last team. He has done more than a guy like McLemore although McLemore can take and make 3's so that's a big deal but yeah. I mean the fit isn't great but if a team that had more shooting he would make more sense. A team like the Jazz would make sense and they play slower and could maybe take advantage of his post game.

Which brings me to the next point. I think there is a real chance that after the dust settles even more that even though there has been crickets when I comes to Bazz there will be some teams with a decent chunk of money and nothing to lose by offering him a decent 6-7 million or something for a 1 year deal and see what happens kinda like Miami did with a bunch of guys last year. The Hawks could be one of those teams especially if they don't match Hardaway which I expect them to pass. I'm not saying he will get a deal like that but it's certainly possible for one year. He could take even less (like Waiters did last year) if that team has a possible starter or really significant role off the bench. The difference is Waiters had more value last year than Bazz does this year and there was more money to spend.

If another team signs Bazz that leaves another player we can sign. I think he can be a useful player for a team and I wish it could be us But somewhat like Rubio I think it's time to move on and look for a different player and wish him well.

It's worth mentioning here that the Wolves made the right move not giving him an extension last year. Even if he had taken a reasonable deal of say 7-8 million per which I don't think he would have done that would have been overpaying and would have significantly cut into the cap this summer. They could have saved money if they hadn't done the Dieng deal but there may have been some Teams out there that would have signed a bunch of guys last year and done something with Bazz and been pretty hamstrung. Thibs and Layden didn't do that. They didn't bat 1.000 last summer but it could have been so much worse.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Detroit pulls QO for KCP making him an UFA.

Cool! We would have had no shot at him, but it ought to take a big chunk of money away from the free agent market for other players...
Monster

Post by Monster »

Muscala 2 years 10 million with a player option for year 2. That's pretty cheap but he maybe took that because he has said he liked Atlanta and...the way thinks stand right now (unless I am forgetting something/someone he is gonna start and at worst even if they add someone he is likely play a ton there.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Tyreke Evans one year 3.5 mil
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Wiz pull qualifying offer for Bogdanovic. We could get that guy for a good deal! Young, good 3 point shooter.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

SameOldDrew wrote:Wiz pull qualifying offer for Bogdanovic. We could get that guy for a good deal! Young, good 3 point shooter.

Pacers signed him for 2 years 11.5 mil a year
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

kekgeek1 wrote:
SameOldDrew wrote:Wiz pull qualifying offer for Bogdanovic. We could get that guy for a good deal! Young, good 3 point shooter.

Pacers signed him for 2 years 11.5 mil a year

Whoa, that's more than I figured he'd get at this point, but there you go. It's that much less money available for the other guys.

KCP, Simmons, Gasol, Noel, Rondo, Dedmon, Mirotic, Bazz, Tony Allen, JaMychal Green, Thabo, Jeff Green, . . . still plenty of names out there.

Afflalo, Miles, Ilyasova, Terry, heck even Derrick Rose could all go for pretty cheap this summer.

Who is left who has money? Not many teams. It's almost time to get a really good deal or two!

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

Chicago
Phoenix
Philly
Dallas (probably spending that on Noel)
LAL
Atlanta (assuming they won't match that crazy Hardaway deal)
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

The problem is the shooters are drying up. We may just need to say eff it and go get another defensive wing like Thabo or Allen. Let's at least make sure we can guard the hell out of people. I'd also see if Rush wants to stick around too.