Free Agency with Other Teams

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Free Agency with Other Teams

Post by Lipoli390 »

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:There are still some big names or at least halfway decent players out there. There's not nearly enough cap space left out there to sign all these guys without paying them very little right? I'm underlining some shooters.

Noel (RFA)
Pau Gasol (is he resigning with the Spurs?)
KCP (is he not getting an offer? How much will the Pistons pay him?)
Derrick Rose (is he going to Milwaukee or not?)
Rondo (going to the Knicks?)
Ilyasova (man, this guy would be great value for a team right now!)
Hardaway (RFA, Atlanta will keep him)
Dedmon
Mirotic (is he staying with the Bulls?)
Johnson (he's gotta be staying with Miami, but do they still have the space to sign him? I think he's going to take little money, which could turn out to be a great deal for Miami)
Jonathan Simmons (going to NYK, Spur will probably match, right?)
Bogdanovic (RFA, but can the Wiz even match?)
BAZZ!
Jamychal Green (RFA)
Tony Allen
CJ Miles
Tyreke Evans
Deron Williams
Jerebko
Jeff Green
Beasley
Udoh (coming back from Turkey?)
Alan Williams (RFA, Phoenix will match, good player, really good player, actually)
Afflalo
Stuckey
Sefolosha
Tolliver (has he signed? another guy we could use)
Henderson
Barnes
Jason Terry
Derrick Williams (best almost dunker in NBA until Marquiss Criss)
Muscala
Babbitt
Dunleavy
Terrence Jones

http://hoopshype.com/2017/07/04/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/

Definitely an impressive list, Drew. Here's my ranking in order of preference for the Wolves, limited to those who we might realistically be able to get with the RE:

1. Afflalo -- Best 2-way vet with 3-point range. Very consistent year to year. Not too old.
2. Tyrke Evans -- Injury history, but still great upside and improved 3-point shot.
3. Thabo -- Solid defender with some 3-point range and a bit of a scoring threat
4. Luke Babbit -- I like Tony Allen better overall, but we need 3-point shooting
5. Jason Terry -- Used to be a great 3-point shooting spark off the bench.

Here's my ranking of those we might realistically be able to get via a sign-and-trade involving our OKC pick:

1. Illyasova - $7.3M in a Cole + OKC pick might get it done. I might do this one.

2. CJ Miles -- We already know it would happen, but I'm glad Thibs is holding out on giving up our OKC pick. CJ isn't worth the pick in my view.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:
60WinTim wrote:I value Luc Bah a Moute more than some of those guys on that list!

I love his defense, but he can't shoot the 3. He had one good year this year for % but he barely shot the ball, so he doesn't give us what we need. Those guys underlined in the list are all 3 point shooters.

The point about that overall list though is that there are a lot of players out there looking for contracts and the cap space is running out fast, so some of those guys are going to be had on great deals or 1 year vet minimum deals.

One quick question. If the Wiz go over the cap because they match Porter, they can still match Bogdanovic right? It's just that if they get to the luxury tax line then it gets Swaggy P expensive? Do I understand that correctly?

Remember that we will keep some vet offensive forces on the floor with anyone. Any of Teague, Wiggins, Butler, KAT will be on the floor at once, likely 2 + Taj or Dieng. LRMAM at least is a threat to make a 3.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
SameOldNudityDrew wrote:There are still some big names or at least halfway decent players out there. There's not nearly enough cap space left out there to sign all these guys without paying them very little right? I'm underlining some shooters.

Noel (RFA)
Pau Gasol (is he resigning with the Spurs?)
KCP (is he not getting an offer? How much will the Pistons pay him?)
Derrick Rose (is he going to Milwaukee or not?)
Rondo (going to the Knicks?)
Ilyasova (man, this guy would be great value for a team right now!)
Hardaway (RFA, Atlanta will keep him)
Dedmon
Mirotic (is he staying with the Bulls?)
Johnson (he's gotta be staying with Miami, but do they still have the space to sign him? I think he's going to take little money, which could turn out to be a great deal for Miami)
Jonathan Simmons (going to NYK, Spur will probably match, right?)
Bogdanovic (RFA, but can the Wiz even match?)
BAZZ!
Jamychal Green (RFA)
Tony Allen
CJ Miles
Tyreke Evans
Deron Williams
Jerebko
Jeff Green
Beasley
Udoh (coming back from Turkey?)
Alan Williams (RFA, Phoenix will match, good player, really good player, actually)
Afflalo
Stuckey
Sefolosha
Tolliver (has he signed? another guy we could use)
Henderson
Barnes
Jason Terry
Derrick Williams (best almost dunker in NBA until Marquiss Criss)
Muscala
Babbitt
Dunleavy
Terrence Jones

http://hoopshype.com/2017/07/04/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/

Definitely an impressive list, Drew. Here's my ranking in order of preference for the Wolves, limited to those who we might realistically be able to get with the RE:

1. Afflalo -- Best 2-way vet with 3-point range. Very consistent year to year. Not too old.
2. Tyrke Evans -- Injury history, but still great upside and improved 3-point shot.
3. Thabo -- Solid defender with some 3-point range and a bit of a scoring threat
4. Luke Babbit -- I like Tony Allen better overall, but we need 3-point shooting
5. Jason Terry -- Used to be a great 3-point shooting spark off the bench.

Here's my ranking of those we might realistically be able to get via a sign-and-trade involving our OKC pick:

1. Illyasova - $7.3M in a Cole + OKC pick might get it done. I might do this one.

2. CJ Miles -- We already know it would happen, but I'm glad Thibs is holding out on giving up our OKC pick. CJ isn't worth the pick in my view.

I think most people think Jason Terry is pretty much done. I disagree. He was a rotation player on a team that overachieved in the Bucks last year and made the playoffs. He shot over 42% on 3's even if they were a high volume I'll take it. He had 20 blocks last year which seems pretty good for an old undersized guard playing under 20mpg. He would be a nice addition for the vet min.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I'd love a shooter, but man, there is a part of me that wants to go all in on the defensive side and go grab Thabo. He's an elite wing defender and at least somewhat of a threat to hit the 3. Go look at his do shit stats. This guy may be one of the more all-around productive guys left that is cheap.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

I also recommended terry along with carter. They both are old but have continued a high level of play. Terry for the min. Miles in a sign and trade. LRMAM on the RE. That would be perfect. Each can cover 2 positions effectively, which we need. Terry 1/2, Miles 2/3, LRMaM 3/4. Hope Thibs and company are reading here!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

TheFuture wrote:
Squishypoo wrote:Trade Cole and pick for CJ and a 2nd round pick, Add Crawford for the RE, Then add a cheep pg like Ty Lawson and call it good.

I am leaning towards something like Cole and 1st for CJ and 2 2nds. Crawford I would pass on. He is a negative nowadays.

Edit: Assume the pacers are now a bottom 10 team. 2 2nds in the 35-40 range may be better than a 22-28 pick from OKC .... if we don't sell them...[/

The Pacers don't have a 2018 2nd round pick. They traded it. So your suggested deal wouldn't work. The Pacers either take Cole and our 2019 2nd round pick for Miles or no deal. That's my view. Maybe there's a team out there that would make a better offer, Otherwise, the Pacers will lose Miles with no compensation if they don't trade him to us for Cole. I don't expect the Pacers to accept that deal, in which case I'd be willing to walk away from the table and turn my sights to guys like Afflalo, Thabo, Jason Terry, Wayne Ellington, Brandon Rush and a few other FAs. How about signing our own Bazz using the Room Exception and using the vet minimum to sign Aaron Brooks, Wayne Ellington and Brandon Rush?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Onnthe surface without delving too deep into the contracts and roster construction...what exactly are the Heat doing?
slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095]

Post by slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095] »

monsterpile wrote:
slimcalhoun27 wrote:So since we are below the cap limit, we can't go above it? And since other teams are above they can continue to spend and stay above that level?

I'm confused on the max, cap ceiling, luxury tax levels and how the NBA doesn't punish more teams that spend like crazy (stupidly) and still add like Golden state has this summer. It's my real frustration with this league....players contracts are crazy out of control. Even the Taj at 14, Teague 18 and even Dieng at 15. Insane.

Appreciate the banter!

I'll try and make it a bit simple...maybe.

So if you are under the cap you can spend that money. According to the cap experts we are like a million bucks under the cap so that's nothing. Obviously because it's that little they will end up over the cap at some point.

It's confusing to me about when you can get the exceptions but here they are.

If you are over the cap and in the lux tax you have a 5 million exception. This is what a team like Golden state has.

If you are over the cap to begin things but not in the lux tax you can spend about 8 million.

If you end up over the cap after making signings then you have the room exception at around 4 million. This is basically all the Wolves have.

There is also the Bi annual exception (BAE) which can be used every other year and it's like 2 million or something. It doesn't seem that the Wolves have this so they much have used it last year.

Some of the other moving around using cap holds and all that...way to complcated to explain writing stuff out and I don't always get it either.

The problem with the Wolves is that they were pretty far under the cap so they don't get the bigger exception like other teams so they will be down the food chain for money this year. Next year they will have the bigger exception to be able to get guys. Hopefully this year they can add one solid player with their 4 million dollar exception and find some solid players with the vet min. I would think Rush would be a guy that would sign for that if he wants to play here.

Thanks brother. Thanks for the insight guys. Not a fan of this new system and cap levels for teams who are responsible.
Monster

Post by Monster »

slimcalhoun27 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
slimcalhoun27 wrote:So since we are below the cap limit, we can't go above it? And since other teams are above they can continue to spend and stay above that level?

I'm confused on the max, cap ceiling, luxury tax levels and how the NBA doesn't punish more teams that spend like crazy (stupidly) and still add like Golden state has this summer. It's my real frustration with this league....players contracts are crazy out of control. Even the Taj at 14, Teague 18 and even Dieng at 15. Insane.

Appreciate the banter!

I'll try and make it a bit simple...maybe.

So if you are under the cap you can spend that money. According to the cap experts we are like a million bucks under the cap so that's nothing. Obviously because it's that little they will end up over the cap at some point.

It's confusing to me about when you can get the exceptions but here they are.

If you are over the cap and in the lux tax you have a 5 million exception. This is what a team like Golden state has.

If you are over the cap to begin things but not in the lux tax you can spend about 8 million.

If you end up over the cap after making signings then you have the room exception at around 4 million. This is basically all the Wolves have.

There is also the Bi annual exception (BAE) which can be used every other year and it's like 2 million or something. It doesn't seem that the Wolves have this so they much have used it last year.

Some of the other moving around using cap holds and all that...way to complcated to explain writing stuff out and I don't always get it either.

The problem with the Wolves is that they were pretty far under the cap so they don't get the bigger exception like other teams so they will be down the food chain for money this year. Next year they will have the bigger exception to be able to get guys. Hopefully this year they can add one solid player with their 4 million dollar exception and find some solid players with the vet min. I would think Rush would be a guy that would sign for that if he wants to play here.

Thanks brother. Thanks for the insight guys. Not a fan of this new system and cap levels for teams who are responsible.

The way the exceptions work are not much different than the previous CBA actually. One quirk is that the exceptions are a little higher now than they would have been because they amounts were locked in with the CBA and they didn't go down even though the cap went down and they will rise at the same rate each year.

It is kinda funny the teams that are in the middle ground get the most money to spend with their exception but it basically almost encourages them to be in the lux tax! Lol
Monster

Post by Monster »

Knicks sign an offer sheet with Tim hardaway JR for 4 years 72 million. I don't know how the Hawks feel about him. If they don't think he is more than a solid starter they probably won't match. Their new said he didn't want bad contracts. I'm not sure how good Hardaway is but ai thought a couple years ago when they traded for him it was a good move...wait they got him from the Knicks right? lol I can't believe I forgot that.