Twins Trade Deadline/MidSeason Top 10 prospects

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: Twins Trade Deadline/MidSeason Top 10 prospects

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I remember Nick Anderson. Great for him. Right under our nose.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2019/08/02/the-mistake-that-shaped-rays-reliever-nick-andersons-life/
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Twins made a mistake not further pursuing a trade revolving around Buxton for Syndergaard. Minnesota would have gained a front of the rotation arm and the loss would have been minimal considering the MLB and MiLB depth they have at the OF position.

Imagine heading into next season knowing you had Syndergaard, Berrios, and Graterol pegged into the rotation -- and you very likely could bring Odorizzi back on a value contract. I don't know about you, but I'd feel a hell of a lot better about the Twins turning into a real contender.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:Twins made a mistake not further pursuing a trade revolving around Buxton for Syndergaard. Minnesota would have gained a front of the rotation arm and the loss would have been minimal considering the MLB and MiLB depth they have at the OF position.

Imagine heading into next season knowing you had Syndergaard, Berrios, and Graterol pegged into the rotation -- and you very likely could bring Odorizzi back on a value contract. I don't know about you, but I'd feel a hell of a lot better about the Twins turning into a real contender.

I mean they could still do that trade in the offseason or maybe just once in there life throw 30 mil at Cole or Strausburg and just keep Buxton.

I'm real interested what they do at first base. I think this is the year Sano needs to move over and we need to pick up a 3rd basemen.

jester1534 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:Twins made a mistake not further pursuing a trade revolving around Buxton for Syndergaard. Minnesota would have gained a front of the rotation arm and the loss would have been minimal considering the MLB and MiLB depth they have at the OF position.

I mean they could still do that trade in the offseason or maybe just once in there life throw 30 mil at Cole or Strausburg and just keep Buxton.

I'm real interested what they do at first base. I think this is the year Sano needs to move over and we need to pick up a 3rd basemen.

I think Syndergaard's value has gotten better since the deadline and the Mets were a lot more competitive than they probably expected, which means I'd expect them to want to hold on to their second-best pitcher. Twins should explore that route regardless, but it will likely cost a lot more.

I also agree that first base is a question mark. I'd like to see this regime make a run for Jose Abreu.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:
jester1534 wrote:

I think Syndergaard's value has gotten better since the deadline and the Mets were a lot more competitive than they probably expected, which means I'd expect them to want to hold on to their second-best pitcher. Twins should explore that route regardless, but it will likely cost a lot more.

I also agree that first base is a question mark. I'd like to see this regime make a run for Jose Abreu.

I don't know if his value increased he pitched pretty mediocre down the stretch. From the deadline on he was 3-3 with a 4.18 ERA still over 9.00 K/9 ratio. I think he was the same pitcher he was all year. The problem is the Mets have a really old owner who wants to win now because if they start a rebuild most likely he won't be alive to see the fruits of it.

The guy I like is Donaldson. I think he fits this team and would sure up 3rd base. He fit real well with all those young guys in Atlanta.

I wonder how much money Rendon is going to get? I don't think people realize just how good that guy is and with Washington having successful post season run he's going to get paid

jester1534 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
jester1534 wrote:

I don't know if his value increased he pitched pretty mediocre down the stretch. From the deadline on he was 3-3 with a 4.18 ERA still over 9.00 K/9 ratio. I think he was the same pitcher he was all year. The problem is the Mets have a really old owner who wants to win now because if they start a rebuild most likely he won't be alive to see the fruits of it.

The guy I like is Donaldson. I think he fits this team and would sure up 3rd base. He fit real well with all those young guys in Atlanta.

I wonder how much money Rendon is going to get? I don't think people realize just how good that guy is and with Washington having successful post season run he's going to get paid

I think our heads are in the right places. This lineup could use another potent RHB in the middle of it and it's essentially about player preference and cost. There's a legitimate argument that Donaldson is better than my choice Abreu, and he would upgrade the left side of the infield defensively, but I think Donaldson is going to command a considerably bigger contract and he's already 33. That could be playing with fire. Meanwhile, Abreu is also 33, decent defensively -- albeit at first base only -- and is obviously already comfortable with the AL Central. I think he could be had for roughly 60% of whatever Donaldson gets.

My outside of the box idea would be to pursue Nicholas Castellanos and convert him to first base like the Tigers envisioned last year. Castellanos declined the position change mainly due to the lack of financial security at the time. He even said that he'd make the change and joked that he'd throw bullpen sessions too if he got his contract extension, but obviously we know how things played out. Castellanos was a poor defensive third baseman and was originally a shortstop coming up, but I think he'd have an outside chance to be a good defensive first baseman.

The Twins have some options this winter and they should be aggressive. The window has opened.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:
jester1534 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
jester1534 wrote:

I think our heads are in the right places. This lineup could use another potent RHB in the middle of it and it's essentially about player preference and cost. There's a legitimate argument that Donaldson is better than my choice Abreu, and he would upgrade the left side of the infield defensively, but I think Donaldson is going to command a considerably bigger contract and he's already 33. That could be playing with fire. Meanwhile, Abreu is also 33, decent defensively -- albeit at first base only -- and is obviously already comfortable with the AL Central. I think he could be had for roughly 60% of whatever Donaldson gets.

My outside of the box idea would be to pursue Nicholas Castellanos and convert him to first base like the Tigers envisioned last year. Castellanos declined the position change mainly due to the lack of financial security at the time. He even said that he'd make the change and joked that he'd throw bullpen sessions too if he got his contract extension, but obviously we know how things played out. Castellanos was a poor defensive third baseman and was originally a shortstop coming up, but I think he'd have an outside chance to be a good defensive first baseman.

The Twins have some options this winter and they should be aggressive. The window has opened.

There were reports a couple weeks ago the Nationals offered Rendon 7 years for between $210-215 million. And like it's been mentioned the price tag has probably has gone up.