Wig for Memphis #4 pick and Parsons

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Coolbreeze44

Re: Wig for Memphis #4 pick and Parsons

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

lipoli390 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:If Memphis were willing to do this deal, my thoughts would be exactly the same as kekgeek's...I do it only if Doncic is still on the board. I think Doncic is the best player in this draft, and I think he and what is left of Parsons would be better than Wig. Plus Parsons only has 2 more years on his contract while Wig has 5...so a deal like this would be helpful in reducing the amount of lux tax.

But my opinion is irrelevant because Memphis doesn't do this deal. The only reason they are willing to give up #4 is that they are rebuilding and need to unload big contracts. Taking on a 5-year max contract for a guy who sported a PER of 13 last year is not what they want to do. They are looking to trade #4 and Parsons for players with small contracts and lower picks. Chicago and the Clippers are likely partners if they covet someone at 4, because they both have multiple first round picks.

I've heard that Memphis is not looking to rebuild. Instead, they're looking to move the pick for a top veteran to go with Conley, Gasol and Green to be competitive. They are counting on the return of Conley and they know that Conley and Gasol are at the tail ends of their prime. Would they deal their 4th pick and Parsons for Wiggins? Not sure. But I'll bet they'd make that deal for Butler. I may be the only one on this Board who would do that deal, but I just don't think Butler fits long term here given his age, injury propensity and the huge payday he'll have due after this next season. So I'm inclined to take a step back in order to take two steps forward over the long haul. I'd deal Butler to Memphis for the 4th pick and Parsons and take Doncic if he's still available. If Doncic is not available, then I'd draft Jaren Jackson or Mo Bamba.

Lip, I couldn't agree more with you on this. The Butler move was too soon for this franchise and it's going to turn out to be bad for Jimmy too. I'd make that trade without hesitation.
Duke13

Post by Duke13 »

monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:If Memphis were willing to do this deal, my thoughts would be exactly the same as kekgeek's...I do it only if Doncic is still on the board. I think Doncic is the best player in this draft, and I think he and what is left of Parsons would be better than Wig. Plus Parsons only has 2 more years on his contract while Wig has 5...so a deal like this would be helpful in reducing the amount of lux tax.

But my opinion is irrelevant because Memphis doesn't do this deal. The only reason they are willing to give up #4 is that they are rebuilding and need to unload big contracts. Taking on a 5-year max contract for a guy who sported a PER of 13 last year is not what they want to do. They are looking to trade #4 and Parsons for players with small contracts and lower picks. Chicago and the Clippers are likely partners if they covet someone at 4, because they both have multiple first round picks.

I think you are right LST but I also think based on the reports I have seen that they want to win 50 games next year that they might have interest in a young experienced player (with some legit upside still) in a deal that would still save them a little bit of money short term (#4 + Wiggins salary) plus give them an extra roster space to add another player. IF (no idea) they value Wiggins I think it's something they would consider. Like I said I don't think it's something the Wolves would consider though.

I would agree also Wiggins and his contract isn't what Memphis is lookin for.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Ehh. I think we could get more for Butler than just No. 4 and a bad contract (Parsons showed some life last year, but he's brittle). If that's all they'd offer, I probably couldn't bring myself to do it.

I would entertain the idea of a No. 4 overall pick, PF Jamychal Green, 2020 first-round pick, and SF Chandler Parsons for SG/SF Jimmy Butler and C Gorgui Dieng trade. That'd be a homerun. Eyes would be on Mikal Bridges or Mo Bamba.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I'm keeping Butler. He and Towns were both 3rd team all-NBA. We shouldn't be breaking that duo up. That's two top 15 guys. A majority of teams in the league don't have that. I would still keep Wiggins more than likely. He's an iron man and those are rare. I saw enough improvement last year to believe he can contribute in key ways to a good team.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Camden0916 wrote:Ehh. I think we could get more for Butler than just No. 4 and a bad contract (Parsons showed some life last year, but he's brittle). If that's all they'd offer, I probably couldn't bring myself to do it.

I would entertain the idea of a No. 4 overall pick, PF Jamychal Green, 2020 first-round pick, and SF Chandler Parsons for SG/SF Jimmy Butler and C Gorgui Dieng trade. That'd be a homerun. Eyes would be on Mikal Bridges or Mo Bamba.

Yeah I implied we could get a bit more, this would be getting a lot more by dumping Gorgui. I think Butler is too short on his contract to get that much.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

khans2k5 wrote:I'm keeping Butler. He and Towns were both 3rd team all-NBA. We shouldn't be breaking that duo up. That's two top 15 guys. A majority of teams in the league don't have that. I would still keep Wiggins more than likely. He's an iron man and those are rare. I saw enough improvement last year to believe he can contribute in key ways to a good team.

You make a good case for not doing the Butler deal. But I don't see the 29-year old Butler as a good pairing with the 23-year old KAT -- especially when you consider Butler's injury propensity and the fact that we have Butler locked for only one more season before he can command a huge payday well beyond the rookie scale max that KAT's going to get.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

I have no issues considering moving Butler in trades. The last two years of Butlers next contract might look even worse than what Parsons contract looks like now. In the Memphis deal I would like to see an additional asset such Ivan Rabb. I would first try and get a higher pick to insure Doncic, or see if we can move up a spot or two if we did get 4.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

thedoper wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:Ehh. I think we could get more for Butler than just No. 4 and a bad contract (Parsons showed some life last year, but he's brittle). If that's all they'd offer, I probably couldn't bring myself to do it.

Yeah I implied we could get a bit more, this would be getting a lot more by dumping Gorgui. I think Butler is too short on his contract to get that much.

I'd want to get a little more from Memphis as well, but I don't see Memphis giving us the deal that Cam suggested. If we could get that deal I'd be thrilled. I think we could squeeze out the Grizzlies 2nd round pick but not much more.
worldK

Post by worldK »

thedoper wrote:

I like cam's deal a lot for us but I agree with doper that memphis will be giving up too much and likely wont do cam's deal. Maybe we can get the 2020 first or some 2nds but we probably cant dump diengs contract and get back green.

I prefer holding onto to wiggins over butler due to age and durability. Also wig's contract would look better in a few years whereas butler is looking at 35-40m a year in his next max extention.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

The way I look at it is we could move Butler, or he is going to move himself. This season is going to be a shit show. Thibs may not make it through the entire year. Butler is going to get hurt again. And Kat isn't suddenly going to become a defensive force. Butler will be itching to leave by the end of the year.