Butler requests trade...

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Butler requests trade...

Post by Monster »

Well here we go. A couple thoughts.

1. Remember those very good NBA players that wanted out and had their list of teams they wanted to go to and what the return was? There is a chance the Wolves do alright here especially if they end up with less long term money than they would have had to give Butler. Also remember that some of these deals were to teams not on the list.

2. Alright it's time for Thibs and Layden show they have some basketball front office skills. The Pacers look like effing geniuses after the Paul George trade. I don't think that Thibs and Layden have to win that big to do well here. Get a worthwhile complimentary player a decent draft pick and not take on ridiculous salary and that might not be bad at all. If that complicated player is a wing that can actually be a above average 3 point shooter it might be solid.

3. There is stuff about Butler and being taken care of. The Wolves could t offer him more money this offseason unless they went bonkers dumping salary. Did Butler want that? Were the Wolves actually hestitant to give him all the possible money they could next offseason? Note that some guys Butler had some level of relationship with on the team are no longer here. Crawford isn't here. Supposedly Butler wanted him back. MGH isn't back and Butler seemed to have an affinity for him. I've thought that's stuff was moderately interesting. It will be interesting if we here more details about some of this stuff.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Another thing that is interesting is what they get back and whether or not this could lead to any other moves like Teague or Taj.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

If I am Glen I fire Thibs and Layden. I hire a GM and let them pick the coach and trade Butler. There is no rush to move Butler before the trade deadline in my eyes or at least that is what I tell teams. I would want to trade him to the Lakers. If they come out of the gate slow and are struggling to mesh with LBJ they might deal some young guys for Butler.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

We need to move Wiggins too. That contract was a horrible mistake and it will doom our future with Towns, even if we get something decent for Butler. And yes, we'll have to give up assets to move that contract.

If the question is Butler or Towns, we all would have gone with Towns anyway, and now Butler has basically made the decision. Better that it happens this way than if we lost him next year for nothing but cap space. The question is, how could we build something around Towns now?

Also, yes, everybody in the front office and even the owner need to go. This franchise is fundamentally flawed from top to bottom.

The crazy thing is, as unenjoyable as it was to watch our iso-heavy offense last year, we were as good as we've been in 15 years. It's a shame to think it was one-and-done.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

longstrangetrip wrote:Woj says it's the Nets, Clippers and Knicks...all with max cap space. Interesting to not see the Lakers in there.

He can't go anywhere with another alpha player so those 3 fit his personality of needing to be the guy with nobody else on the team close to his level. He didn't get along with Rose. He didn't get along with Towns. He's just revealing himself to be the ultimate me guy.

I would take Tobias Harris and scraps for him in a heartbeat.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Knox and Hardaway for Butler and call it a day.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

crazysauce wrote:Knox and Hardaway for Butler and call it a day.

Ugh, Hardaway? No thanks. Low-efficiency, poor outside shooting, not a good defender, bad contract. We already have one of those.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

If thats what it takes to get know you do it. Have a feeling we get trash back for him. Will see i guess
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Since Butler was nice enough to tie our hands with the three team condition, I would be fine with the wolves sticking it up his arse and letting him walk next summer for 50 mil less!

He could have communicated this before the draft, and we likely would have gotten something realistic back.

Thibs should be fired immediately. I sure wouldn't want him handling the trade.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

I agree on fire thibs immediately. Also fire layden. Get a new competent gm and coach and let them deal him.