Butler requests trade...

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Butler requests trade...

Post by Monster »

Anyone have interest in a trade that gets us enough below the tax line to use an exception (BAE) to try and get Patrick McCaw away from the Warriors? Is there someone else that's a younger guy you would want to add to the roster that's a FA?
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

KiwiMatt wrote:My biggest concern about this situation is the fact Thibs is trying to save his own ass by trying to win now at potentially the expense of our short and long term future. If (when) we move Butler we need to get assets back. Trading him for a stop gap player and cap space will be a fail.

The next couple of months will be the true test for both Thibs the GM and Thibs the coach.

I don't want us to go full rebuild mode, but I want us to surround KAT and Wiggins with similar aged players with potential. Wait for GSW and Houston to hit the decline then be ready to compete while Towns and (hopefully) Wiggins hit their prime.

Thibs went into save his ass mode year two. He is an idiot. He had the hand to play and fucked his own bluff.

I don't see a way other than recommitment to the rebuild right now. Our core is Wiggins and towns. they are very young.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

We need to let Thibs go this weekend. But who is going to coach this year? I don't think Ryan Saunders is ready. Let's come up with a list of candidates and then we can discuss. Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Darvin Ham, Sam Cassell are some names that come to mind. Who else you got?
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

If anything Jon is saying is true, thibs has to be gone before the season starts.

The max contract offer was made to KAT back in the second week of July. He obviously hasn't signed it. We know that KAT was asking for a face to face meeting with Thibs before signing - a request that, by all accounts, Thibs has summarily ignored. An wrote:

I believe - and I want to stress that this is mostly speculation on my part - that Thibs knew whatever is going on with Jimmy and KAT would be really bad, and that because it involved Jimmy, he didnt know how to process a solution that wouldnt cost wrote:

https://packmentality.squarespace.com/nba/jimmy-butler-demands-trade
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

TheFuture wrote:Dunn and LaVine will explode this year. Quote me.

LaVine will avg 25 points on 38+ percent 3P shooting. He was the best 3P shooter the Wolves ever had. Wiggins was the one to dump, not LaVine. The Butler trade was a bust. Thins needs to go.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:We need to let Thibs go this weekend. But who is going to coach this year? I don't think Ryan Saunders is ready. Let's come up with a list of candidates and then we can discuss. Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Darvin Ham, Sam Cassell are some names that come to mind. Who else you got?

If Wiggins and Towns endorse Ryan Saunders I think he might be ready. Jon K said he's a workaholic with the prep and film. It's really hard to know when a young assistant is ready. I'm sure there would be a hell of a lot of skepticism though. I do think the key is getting someone Wiggins and Towns would have mutual respect for. No one in the national media is going respect any moves the Wolves do either way.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

crazy-canuck wrote:If anything Jon is saying is true, thibs has to be gone before the season starts.

The max contract offer was made to KAT back in the second week of July. He obviously hasn't signed it. We know that KAT was asking for a face to face meeting with Thibs before signing - a request that, by all accounts, Thibs has summarily ignored. An wrote:

I believe - and I want to stress that this is mostly speculation on my part - that Thibs knew whatever is going on with Jimmy and KAT would be really bad, and that because it involved Jimmy, he didnt know how to process a solution that wouldnt cost wrote:

It's a good article and reflects my view. As I've already said in prior posts, Thibs either should have seen this coming or saw it coming but ignored it in the hope it would just go away. In either case, Thibodeau's incompetence is stunning -- but to me not surprising.

The first order of business for Glen Taylor now should be firing Thibodeau. That should have happened yesterday. Then Glen should direct Layden to execute the best possible deal for Butler. The next step after that would be signing KAT to a 5-year extension. At this point, I think I'd be tempted to have Ryan Saunders step in as head coach for this upcoming season. On the other hand, I'd consider going after a more proven head coach like Mark Jackson.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

TheFuture wrote:
Q12543 wrote:"No subpar team adds stars through trades and goes on to win!!!"

Clippers were perennial losers before trading for Chris Paul. Sacramento traded for Chris Webber. New Jersey Nets added Kidd and then went to the FInals for a couple of years. There are other examples.

Oh....and the Wolves added Jimmy Butler and made the playoffs for the first time in over a decade!!! Short lived perhaps, but something to hang onto.

And what happened on all of those teams?

They actually kept them and never actually won. All middling.

Argue with me all you want.

We screwed up and everyone knows it.

We'll have to agree to disagree (obviously at this point). All those teams did have some level of sustained success. And no, none won a title, but I don't define success solely by that measure, otherwise I would have abandoned Minnesota sports a long time ago. You also seem to completely discount the casual paying fan experience here. They want to see a team eventually compete and win games, not rebuild for a decade plus of losing. We went 30-11 last year at home. That means an arena full of paying fans went home happy and entertained 30 times last year. That actually has value, as fleeting as that success may have been.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

crazy-canuck wrote:If anything Jon is saying is true, thibs has to be gone before the season starts.

This wasn't written by Jon K. if that's what you are implying (?).
Brooklyn_Wolves [enjin:14608167]

Post by Brooklyn_Wolves [enjin:14608167] »

Mark Jackson? WTF ?