Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

60WinTim wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Camden wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Camden wrote:Had to at least interview a black candidate. Would have looked poor firing two black men in two important positions and then not interviewing a black man for a job.

Or they could be overthinking this... If I recall, there was interest in Jackson before settling on Rambis.

Maybe they're considering a Van Gundy - Jackson team. That could be some fun.

Like Abe, I don't want Mark Jackson anywhere near this team.

I... can't... breathe....

HELP!

I know Thibs will be the hire, so I don't less this "excess noise" bother me...

Windhorst is up next on 1500espn...

I still feel confident that Thibs is the hire too. And please share some notes from what Windhorst says. I'm not able to listen myself at the moment.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I don't dislike Jackson as much as Abe and Cam but I don't really want him as the next coach considering the position the Wolves are in. I don't see that much difference between him and Sam to be honest and I have respect for both guys. I'd give Jackson the edge as a coach but not enough to fire Sam and hire Jackson. So far Brooks is about the only nice guy they have interviewed.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Windhorst implied that jockeying happening behind the scenes to spin the conversation on the weekend. Says still up in the air based on the Wolves expanding their interview schedule. Far from over I guess. Also is saying it is speculation for him at this point, everyone is being fairly closed lipped about it. Which actually shows professionalism for once.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

While he didn't directly put down Marc Jackson, he implied there was no chance.

He stressed it would be a mistake to assume anything based on the tidbits being tossed out.

He absolutely said if you are looking for the best coach out there, it is hands down Thibs. But there are other considerations the organization needs to pay attention to (GM responsibilities, minutes for a youthful roster, etc.). Although it sure seems he believes Thibs will eventually be the hire.

His beginning bit about what Taylor should do sure sounds like collusion to me (e.g. talk to other GMs with openings so no bidding wars develop). Right up Taylor's ally! ;-)
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

60WinTim wrote:While he didn't directly put down Marc Jackson, he implied there was no chance.

He stressed it would be a mistake to assume anything based on the tidbits being tossed out.

He absolutely said if you are looking for the best coach out there, it is hands down Thibs. But there are other considerations the organization needs to pay attention to (GM responsibilities, minutes for a youthful roster, etc.). Although it sure seems he believes Thibs will eventually be the hire.

His beginning bit about what Taylor should do sure sounds like collusion to me (e.g. talk to other GMs with openings so no bidding wars develop). Right up Taylor's ally! ;-)

Are we going to find out Taylor had a signed contract since November?
Monster

Post by Monster »

thedoper wrote:
60WinTim wrote:While he didn't directly put down Marc Jackson, he implied there was no chance.

Are we going to find out Taylor had a signed contract since November?

Lol thanks for the chuckle.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

monsterpile wrote:I don't dislike Jackson as much as Abe and Cam but I don't really want him as the next coach considering the position the Wolves are in. I don't see that much difference between him and Sam to be honest and I have respect for both guys. I'd give Jackson the edge as a coach but not enough to fire Sam and hire Jackson. So far Brooks is about the only nice guy they have interviewed.

I just want to go on record as saying that I am 100% sure that I dislike Jackson more than Abe and Cam do, and no offense to those two. I not only look at how well GSW did when he left, but the story of how, while he was employed with the title of minister (remember the good ole' days when you needed 4 years at seminary to call yourself that?), he was cheating on his wife with a woman who would later try to extort $1m from him. Let's leave the the dumbassed 19-year-old-level mistakes to the 19-year-olds.

Sidenote: When his wife found out, I wonder is she said "Come on Mark, you're better than that".
Monster

Post by Monster »

Britt with his take on the search. Nothing earth shattering but he covers a lot of the considerations.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2016/04/wolves-have-some-great-coaching-candidates-hiring-right-one-still-crapshoot
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

monsterpile wrote:Britt with his take on the search. Nothing earth shattering but he covers a lot of the considerations.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2016/04/wolves-have-some-great-coaching-candidates-hiring-right-one-still-crapshoot

From that article one thing really worries me, and it's this passage:

But the Wolves' path to championship contention is more likely a 3-6 year process than 2-3 seasons, and the danger is that Thibodeau burns out his roster, physically and mentally, with his competitive zeal and in-your-face style. It would be especially interesting to see how he and Wiggins -- an enigmatic, at least outwardly taciturn personality -- interact. One of Mitchell's virtues this past season was not badgering Wiggins as much as he did LaVine and Towns, in the belief that more private consultation was the way to get through to him.

With most of you jumping on the Thibodeau train, I feel the need to be the voice of reason here. If the hiring of Thibodeau causes Wiggins to lose interest in this situation and look for alternate homes at the end of his rookie deal, this would be a terrible hire. I'm not suggesting it's a likely outcome (Wiggins leaving because of Thibs), but if there is a chance of that happening the whole project could be derailed just like that. We can simply not afford anyone that is going to alienate our star players. We're not LA or NY where you can find replacements relatively easily. We MUST keep this group together if we are going to maximize this run. This is a legitimate concern and it's what scares me about Thibodeau getting the gig.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

OR... Thibs style of coaching and demand for maximum effort each night gets Wiggins to use his physical gifts to their fullest output. He could also potentially mold him into one of the league's best perimeter defenders in both isolation and team concepts, similar to how he molded Jimmy Butler. Perhaps Thibs would be the best possible hire for Wigs in that aspect. Some, including myself, think the gentle approach to Andrew isn't necessarily the right one. There could be a switch inside of him that hasn't been flipped on yet because past coaches were afraid to be aggressive with him in fear of making him think poorly of them. That's not Thibs. If he can help Wiggins turn it up a notch, that's a good thing. I'm hopeful and confident that he can.