Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

thedoper wrote:Thibs wearing out players was coming from other sources beside the Bulls front office, before Paxson made a "leak". When this argument happened before on this board I posted a podcast from Zach Lowe saying the same issue that players off the record were getting warn down by Thibs. That was a month before Paxson fired Thibs. I think the real defense of Thibs is that all situations can get messy when you under-perform. Hopefully he did learn from that experience and will adjust.

Another point is I think you have too look at both candidates abilities as Pobo too, since they both want that as well and will likely demand it. I feel much more confident of JVG in the dual role than Thibs.

Yeah, I think Thibs' reputation of being perhaps too hard physically on his players is well documented. It's important to keep in mind that wearing down players comes from two sources...game minutes and practice time. And arguably the second source is more important and has been an issue with Thibs. In contrast, Sam was always very careful with his players during practices. There wasn't a lot of full speed scrimmaging, but more walkthrough teaching mixed in with some fun skill games (I can assure you the young guys love this part of practice...competitive, without wearing them down).

If Thibs does end up being the coach (and I still see it as less than 50%, although it appears he really wants it), we need to hope that he has softened and that he has learned how to protect his players better. I'm not giving up hope on that. Thibs is clearly stubborn, but he's also clearly smart. He has had a year off to reflect on his mistakes, and perhaps has a new approach. If he can sell Glen and KF on this and also display a more cooperative attitude in his interviews, then he has a solid chance of becoming the coach...and also being successful.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

LST, I gotta ask you again, where are you coming up with the idea that Thibs doesn't cooperate with the media?
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

I feel like I might have to change my picture if glen ends up doing the right thing
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

longstrangetrip wrote:
thedoper wrote:Thibs wearing out players was coming from other sources beside the Bulls front office, before Paxson made a "leak". When this argument happened before on this board I posted a podcast from Zach Lowe saying the same issue that players off the record were getting warn down by Thibs. That was a month before Paxson fired Thibs. I think the real defense of Thibs is that all situations can get messy when you under-perform. Hopefully he did learn from that experience and will adjust.

Another point is I think you have too look at both candidates abilities as Pobo too, since they both want that as well and will likely demand it. I feel much more confident of JVG in the dual role than Thibs.

Yeah, I think Thibs' reputation of being perhaps too hard physically on his players is well documented. It's important to keep in mind that wearing down players comes from two sources...game minutes and practice time. And arguably the second source is more important and has been an issue with Thibs. In contrast, Sam was always very careful with his players during practices. There wasn't a lot of full speed scrimmaging, but more walkthrough teaching mixed in with some fun skill games (I can assure you the young guys love this part of practice...competitive, without wearing them down).

If Thibs does end up being the coach (and I still see it as less than 50%, although it appears he really wants it), we need to hope that he has softened and that he has learned how to protect his players better. I'm not giving up hope on that. Thibs is clearly stubborn, but he's also clearly smart. He has had a year off to reflect on his mistakes, and perhaps has a new approach. If he can sell Glen and KF on this and also display a more cooperative attitude in his interviews, then he has a solid chance of becoming the coach...and also being successful.

I feel like the fact that the Bulls went from a top seed year in and year out, to being out of the playoffs and the only real difference is the coach, then even if this objections are 100% true, the tradeoff is well worth it.
Papalrep

Post by Papalrep »

Our Professor of Hoopology, Trent Tucker said this AM on KFAN that JVG is very tough on players as well
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Maybe Korn Ferry is supposed to not only bring in candidates but more importantly evaluate their ability to fill dual roles, which Glen reportedly wants now.

As for Thibs, let's not overlook how things have been done in Chicago since the Phil Jackson days. It wasn't exactly a graceful parting. The Bulls have a reputation for being tough to work with.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:Maybe Korn Ferry is supposed to not only bring in candidates but more importantly evaluate their ability to fill dual roles, which Glen reportedly wants now.

As for Thibs, let's not overlook how things have been done in Chicago since the Phil Jackson days. It wasn't exactly a graceful parting. The Bulls have a reputation for being tough to work with.

I think Jon K. Made good points about why Glen brought on Korn Ferry to help with this process. Glen doesn't really have people to help him do that. He is a bit on an island he may even just need help setting up interviews doing all the background and all that stuff. Sure he has some people he could utilize in some way of his guys but hiring a legit company to help him makes a lot of sense.

Let's put Glen's position in perspective. Less than 7 months ago he lost the guy that was basically everything to this franchise and someone that he was also close to. A few months later he has something set up with Kaplan who would have himself been a nice resource and would have had more resources to help Glen with this summer and then...the prospective deal fell through literally weeks ago. So Glen was probably feeling a bit out of sorts not knowing what move to make having lost 2 partners in the space of less than 7 months. So it made sense he said what he did about Milt. Like Jon K said Glen probably got feed back from a variety of people that said you have a great opportunity here to figure out your direction this summer you need to figure out a way to make things happen. Glen is a big time guy he needs to be able to run with all this stuff and make the right decisions but this has not been an easy few months for him and so it's great that he is making the right moves now from what I can tell.

I'll say this LST about Sam that Honeslty I feel that all the time I spent agonizing over Sam made me realize that Ibwas convincing myself into the guy and ultimately I would probably preferred to move on even though I've continually been willing to keep an open mind about Sam and give him some credit where he was at the very least possibly due. To me the difference between Thins and Sam is

1. Pretty easy to make an argument Thins is a much better coach no matter how you slice it.

2. No matter how you slice it Sam was a dick for a big chunk of the season to media. Thibs might not be a dancing pony but I haven't heard of him being like that to the media.

3. If Thibs wants full control that's a different conversation and that's sort of the tough question for me with him.
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

I don't think having one guy being the POBO and HC is a wise decision. I've never been a fan of giving one guy so much power. While getting Thibs or JVG seem like a huge get, and they are, I just don't think HCs make great GMs. I think a HCs mindset is a short term one while a GM has to constantly have the big picture in mind. I worry about robbing Peter to pay Paul just to win a few games in the near term with a guy that fills the dual role.

As far as Scott Brooks, I feel some team will offer him the moon in order to get Durant in free agency.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I'm hoping for JVG as POBO and Thibs as HC and vPOBO. Is there a shot that this happens? I don't know but the 2 do have a history together and JVG constantly raves about Thibs. Best case scenario IMO. I have a sneaky suspicion that they would be open to it as well.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Camden wrote:LST, I gotta ask you again, where are you coming up with the idea that Thibs doesn't cooperate with the media?

I don't think his relationship with the media is as crusty as Mitchell's, but a quick google search about Thibs and the media reveals some negatives...descriptions of a love/hate relationship and an us vs. them relationship with both the media and management. His relationship with the media seems to be better than his relationship with management and his players.

What I want for this club is stability...10 coaches in 11 years is absurd turnover. I think this young roster is talented enough to challenge for a championship in 5 years or so, and a couple things that could get in the way are an unhappy locker room or a continuing revolving door with the head coach. A head coach in the NBA can usually keep his job if he does two things...wins, and doesn't piss off management or the fans. I think Thibs has shown he can be pretty successful in winning, at least during the regular season. But his grouchy and unccoperative personality prevented him from getting a head coaching job for a few years, and then eventually cost him his job. I'm hoping he can show KF and Glen that he has learned from his mistakes during his year off and is capable of change...if not, I don't think he is the right guy for the job.