Butler requests trade...

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Butler requests trade...

Post by Lipoli390 »

longstrangetrip wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Kevin McHale is a Minnesota basketball hero, but his time has passed...and I suspect he has no more interest in coaching here than I have in him coaching. I agree that this team needs some younger blood on the sidelines. Ideally that would be one of the many college coaches that have been discussed here many times. But as others have pointed out, it's very unlikely that a good college coach is going to desert his program when its almost October. That's why I think the next Wolves' coach will wear the "interim" label like Mitchell did after Flip died. I suspect Glen will move on Thibs and Leydon soon and name as interim coach whatever assistant coach he deems best for the job. Because he has been selected to coach the past two summer league teams, I think the most likely candidate will be Saunders.

Unfortunately this team will likely struggle next season without Butler, just like they did last year when he was hurt. The Thibs apologists will look at the decrease in wins and attribute it to the departure of Thibs rather than the departure of Butler. Glen and the new POBO will determine that Ryan is not experienced enough to lead a team, and will spend the season compiling a list of the best young college coaches out there...hopefully the one they choose will be interested in the job and we will have by April what many of us wanted two years ago...a young, modern coach who can take this team to the next level with KAT, Wig and whatever Butler brings us.

So some delayed optimism here. As a season ticket holder, I know home games will be more fun next season than last with Thibs no longer roaming the sidelines...even despite a drop in wins. And maybe a new coach can return us to the playoffs in 2020-21.

LST - I hope you're right that the Wolves will replace Thibodeau before the season starts. It would be strange if they didn't do that under the circumstances. I also agree with you that it's time to move on to a younger modern head coach, which can't be done responsibly until after this season. But I still like the idea of hiring McHale as an interim head coach for this season. I don't know whether he'd have any interest in it, but he could be a stabilizing force and I think he'd help KAT.

I don't know if it will be before the season starts, Lip. There are too many moving, interrelated parts (fire just the coach, fire Thibs and Leydon together, the Butler situation) and Glen is a deliberate guy. I think he will get his minority owners involved in next steps. It may be that he lets Thibs start the season and then replaces him when the Wolves start out slow because of the absence of Butler, a new cast of characters getting used to each other, and Thibs' continued out-of-step coaching. In any event, I think most of us would be surprised if Thibs isn't gone by the end of the calendar year. Unfortunately, I also think most of us would be surprised if the Wolves made the playoffs this season. I think KAT and Wig are good enough to get us close to 40 wins, but not quite good enough (yet?) to take us to the playoffs in the loaded west.

I hope you're wrong about the delay in removing Thibodeau from this organization. I don't think the "moving part" are all that complicated. I'd keep it simple. You fire Thibs from both his positions, but retain Layden for now as GM. You then name an interim head coach -- either McHale if he's interested (my first choice) or Ryan Saunders. If Glen doesn't think Ryan is ready or Ryan doesn't want it, then you give the interim position to Any Greer or Ed Pinckney. Glen should already be discussing this with the few remaining limited partners. It shouldn't take more than a couple weeks to get this done.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Reports are Cavs have emerged as suitors for butler.

They have no assets I would want outside of love and Sexton
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

kekgeek1 wrote:Reports are Cavs have emerged as suitors for butler.

Love is 30. I don't want to tie up so much money in a guy that old.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

KG4Ever wrote:

He also can't be traded for 6 months
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

kekgeek1 wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:

He also can't be traded for 6 months

Good. Cleveland has nothing I want other than 2 or 3 unprotected first round picks.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

I would love sexton. Kid will be very good. Get him and whatever needed to be and a first and call it good
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Gilbert was dumb enough to give Love that huge deal intead of blowing it up because he wants to show he can compete without LeBron, maybe he would be dumb enough to trade Sexton as well?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

BloopOracle wrote:Gilbert was dumb enough to give Love that huge deal intead of blowing it up because he wants to show he can compete without LeBron, maybe he would be dumb enough to trade Sexton as well?

There is simply no way the Cavs would include Sexton in a deal for Butler unless it were part of a wider deal that would include Wiggins. Dan Gilbert isn't an idiot and he has a pretty good front office now. I'm sure the Cavs have a vision of pairing Butler with Sexton. But they have to know that Butler would likely leave next season unless the Cavs believe they can lure Kyrie back to Cleveland next summer as a FA to play with Butler.

The Cavs have already traded away their 2019 first and second round picks, so we can't get any 2019 picks from them and 2021 would be the earliest 1st round we could get from them. So I don't see a realistic trade scenario that the Wolves would/should have any interest in. But just for laughs, here's my proposal to the Cavs:

- Cavs get (1) Butler and (2) Patton

- Wolves get (1) Sexton, (2) J. Thompson or JR Smith, and (3) Cavs 2021 1st round pick top 3 protected. In the alternative, I'm willing to settle for the Cavs 2021 2nd round pick (unprotected), but they we swap Gorgui for J. Thompson and we also get Larry Nance Jr.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

lipoli390 wrote:
BloopOracle wrote:Gilbert was dumb enough to give Love that huge deal intead of blowing it up because he wants to show he can compete without LeBron, maybe he would be dumb enough to trade Sexton as well?

There is simply no way the Cavs would include Sexton in a deal for Butler unless it were part of a wider deal that would include Wiggins. Dan Gilbert isn't an idiot and he has a pretty good front office now. I'm sure the Cavs have a vision of pairing Butler with Sexton. But they have to know that Butler would likely leave next season unless the Cavs believe they can lure Kyrie back to Cleveland next summer as a FA to play with Butler.

The Cavs have already traded away their 2019 first and second round picks, so we can't get any 2019 picks from them and 2021 would be the earliest 1st round we could get from them. So I don't see a realistic trade scenario that the Wolves would/should have any interest in. But just for laughs, here's my proposal to the Cavs:

- Wolves get (1) Sexton, (2) J. Thompson or JR Smith, and (3) Cavs 2021 1st round pick top 3 protected. In the alternative, I'm willing to settle for the Cavs 2021 2nd round pick (unprotected), but they we swap Gorgui for J. Thompson and we also get Larry Nance Jr.

While I agree with you that Sexton is a longshot, we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject of Dan being an idiot.
Monster

Post by Monster »

BloopOracle wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

While I agree with you that Sexton is a longshot, we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject of Dan being an idiot.

Lip could you explain why you consider the Cavs to have a good front office?

Edit: For the record I'm not really a big Sexton fan. He seems like a guy that can score and it competitive but how much does that translate? Not sure so see a super high upside there. I don't know if the Cavs would include him or not. The funny thing is I think I have seen more hype about Cedi the last few months and Sexton. Lol