Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
Camden wrote:
SameOldDrew wrote:Man, I wonder if Noah can get back to anything close to his form from a couple years ago. If he could, and we somehow brought him in and Deng too, with Thibs as coach, we should be able to make a big improvement defensively.

I actually think Noah's gonna end up in Dallas. Gut feeling on that one.

And if KG's coming back, which it seems likely that he is, having him around Noah doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas despite them both being Thibs guys.

Like I mentioned previously, there is sometimes too much of a good thing. Thibs is high-intensity enough as it is. I don't want too many "mentors" and coaches in these guys' shorts all the time. Of course, I was a little worried about the Mitchell/KG combination this past season and it seems like KG took a back seat and was very supportive overall.....I just don't want strait jackets put around these kids.

I hear you on not putting straightjackets on the young guys. But I think Noah would realize he's coming in to be a backup guy. It would be easier for him to accept a bench role on a new team with a coach he trusts. And assuming he's even half the player he was, I think he could still serve a needed defensive role off the bench. That's a role we definitely need filled. Gorgui and Towns starting with Noah and Bjelica off the bench and some spot minutes for KG would still give the young guys plenty of minutes while still serving a crucial defensive role for us. I don't see Noah as just a mentor although I love his energy (which again, we need). Hell, he was in conversation for MVP a few years ago. Plus the dude is a great teammate, so I wouldn't see any beef with KG at all. If Deng came in, it would be the same thing as a defensive wing option (who is an efficient and flexible offensive player) to pair with the more offensive-minded Bazz off the bench. Still plenty of minutes to go around, and again, Deng is a great teammate. I think adding those two would also be good injury insurance and make sure Thibs doesn't overwork Wiggins, LaVine, or Towns too early. Win, win, win IMO.

Yeah, it's not as much as any of these guys stealing minutes from the young guys - it's more about having too many alpha-dog personalities in people's faces. I worry about a guy like Wiggins going into a shell after having KG, Noah, and Thibs in his ear too much.
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

From what I've read Thibs and Deng have a great relationship. I could be mistaken, but I believe Deng played a bit of small ball 4 for Miami this year. He would be a perfect add for this team. We definitely can get him quality minutes. He may want to stay in Miami.

Signing Noah and Deng would be a great free agency period for us. Neither are the players they once were, but both can be nice role players for us.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

I've been wishing for a guy like Ezeli or Mahinmi for awhile, but both blew up this year so would be super expensive to get. Noah would probably be cheaper. Maybe Zaza if not?

I just really like Deng's game.

On Wiggins' personality . . . the guy's an introvert, there's no doubt. And I hear you on wanting to be careful with the chemistry on the team in terms of personalities, Q. Wiggins seems to be ok with not getting the attention. To me, Towns is the star on and off the court. He's still kinda goofy, but he's much more extroverted and he's clearly the best player on this team, which makes him the de facto leader soon if not already. With that established, bringing on vets becomes easier because there's one clear alpha dog on the floor. And now, apparently, one on the bench too!
SameOldNudityDrew

Dudley would be a guy I'd be happy to bring in on the wing for four 3 and D stuff. Man, I'm getting excited that we could actually be an attractive free agent destination in the future!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
SameOldDrew wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
Camden wrote:
SameOldDrew wrote:Man, I wonder if Noah can get back to anything close to his form from a couple years ago. If he could, and we somehow brought him in and Deng too, with Thibs as coach, we should be able to make a big improvement defensively.

And if KG's coming back, which it seems likely that he is, having him around Noah doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas despite them both being Thibs guys.

Like I mentioned previously, there is sometimes too much of a good thing. Thibs is high-intensity enough as it is. I don't want too many "mentors" and coaches in these guys' shorts all the time. Of course, I was a little worried about the Mitchell/KG combination this past season and it seems like KG took a back seat and was very supportive overall.....I just don't want strait jackets put around these kids.

I hear you on not putting straightjackets on the young guys. But I think Noah would realize he's coming in to be a backup guy. It would be easier for him to accept a bench role on a new team with a coach he trusts. And assuming he's even half the player he was, I think he could still serve a needed defensive role off the bench. That's a role we definitely need filled. Gorgui and Towns starting with Noah and Bjelica off the bench and some spot minutes for KG would still give the young guys plenty of minutes while still serving a crucial defensive role for us. I don't see Noah as just a mentor although I love his energy (which again, we need). Hell, he was in conversation for MVP a few years ago. Plus the dude is a great teammate, so I wouldn't see any beef with KG at all. If Deng came in, it would be the same thing as a defensive wing option (who is an efficient and flexible offensive player) to pair with the more offensive-minded Bazz off the bench. Still plenty of minutes to go around, and again, Deng is a great teammate. I think adding those two would also be good injury insurance and make sure Thibs doesn't overwork Wiggins, LaVine, or Towns too early. Win, win, win IMO.

I see Noah as a part time player. As much as I like Noah I have concerns with adding another injury concern in the front court.

Deng I don't know if he is gonna come here to maybe be a bench warmer. If he would do it for Thibs that would be awesome I love Deng but it seems like he could do better like staying in Miami. I guess I don't see him coming here as all that realistic. I'd be happy to be wrong though. :)

I was thinking more along the lines of Deng being Wiggins primary backup and a small ball power forward option, which is no where near "bench warming." Basically, he'd be Tayshaun Prince, but more capable. And from all reports, Deng took Jimmy Butler under his wing when he was a young player. I could see him being of some help with Wigs too.

My angle was would he be willing to come off the bench? He is what 30 playing over 30 mpg for a playoff team now. I'd love to see it I just don't know if he is going to go that route.
Monster

Post by Monster »

SameOldDrew wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

I'd have interest in Hinrich as the crusty old guy that can still get it done at times when Tyus isn't up to the task. I've always loved Kirk though he is a local guy so that's part of it but I do love his game.

I don't want any players whose tribute video is set to U2.

http://deadspin.com/the-bulls-made-a-kirk-hinrich-tribute-video-and-set-it-1767649654

I want somebody whose play fits with this, which, by the way, is my choice for the soundtrack of the first night our new era!

[youtube]6Z66wVo7uNw[/youtube]

What's wrong with U2? Lol I just watched a tribute to Kirk I am not sure if it was the one you linked it wouldn't come up but I felt like there was some Tyus Jones to Kirk's game offensively. Sure that's not exactly high praise and Tyus has higher upside on that end while not likely being the defensive guy Kirk became. It's fun to some similarities in Tyus to a guy that wasn't physically very gifted like Hinrich make plays and see maybe Tyus could find a place in this league also.
SameOldNudityDrew

monsterpile wrote:
SameOldDrew wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

I'd have interest in Hinrich as the crusty old guy that can still get it done at times when Tyus isn't up to the task. I've always loved Kirk though he is a local guy so that's part of it but I do love his game.

http://deadspin.com/the-bulls-made-a-kirk-hinrich-tribute-video-and-set-it-1767649654

I want somebody whose play fits with this, which, by the way, is my choice for the soundtrack of the first night our new era!

What's wrong with U2? Lol I just watched a tribute to Kirk I am not sure if it was the one you linked it wouldn't come up but I felt like there was some Tyus Jones to Kirk's game offensively. Sure that's not exactly high praise and Tyus has higher upside on that end while not likely being the defensive guy Kirk became. It's fun to some similarities in Tyus to a guy that wasn't physically very gifted like Hinrich make plays and see maybe Tyus could find a place in this league also.

I'm actually a U2 fan, but in my mental landscape of entertainment, basketball and U2 couldn't be further from each other.

Maybe if they had gone with "Refugee."

[youtube]kdcvsZRij40[/youtube]
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I have no interest in Noah. We need a big we can rely on to be healthy enough to play and that guy is always missing time.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Q12543 wrote:
SameOldNudityDrew wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Another old soul! Brilliant.

Cur-tiiiiiiiiiii! Pure, unadulterated superfly soul genius...we lost him way too early. Funny, I just heard this song on The Loft as I was driving around town yesterday, and made a mental note to go buy that album in vinyl...gotta go find it tomorrow.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

longstrangetrip wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
SameOldNudityDrew wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Another old soul! Brilliant.

Cur-tiiiiiiiiiii! Pure, unadulterated superfly soul genius...we lost him way too early. Funny, I just heard this song on The Loft as I was driving around town yesterday, and made a mental note to go buy that album in vinyl...gotta go find it tomorrow.

Vinyl is coming back isn't it LST? My millennial nephew recently bought a turntable, so I immediately ordered "Kind of Blue" and sent it his way for Christmas. He loved it.