Rubio is the main problem BY FAR

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TAFKASP

Re: Rubio is the main problem BY FAR

Post by TAFKASP »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:People take this place too seriously.

Too often.

Not all of us.
m4gor [enjin:6667447]

Post by m4gor [enjin:6667447] »

Hi guys, i have been lurking for a long time as i do not have much time to watch games this year, however to this topic of Rubio hurting team. Here is a nice video from bballbreakdown. Would be nice to hear ideas from you about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N876-KBigo
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

m4gor wrote:Hi guys, i have been lurking for a long time as i do not have much time to watch games this year, however to this topic of Rubio hurting team. Here is a nice video from bballbreakdown. Would be nice to hear ideas from you about it.

Good stuff, m4gor. Take a look at this guys...solid video support for the Rubio detractors here, plus a plea for more Tyus Jones.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I realize this is kind of beating a dead horse, but I think we can kill 2 birds with one stone with a Rubio trade to help this team significantly. If you can get a wing or a big who can eat up 30+ minutes to help either the Lavine/Wiggins or Dieng/Towns pairing get some much need additional rest during games, I think that kills one bird. That move also forces Thibs to play Tyus as backup PG and I think Tyus solves a lot of scoring consistency issues from the bench as the floor general of the offense. The guys knows when to step up and score and he knows how to setup teammates to score as well. I think he would stabilize the second unit to the point it might be more playable for longer periods of time. That would be the second bird killed. Ideally it's a big because in no world should Ricky and Dieng be playing 35+ minutes in a game. I think we'd see more Tyus and get some Dunn at the 2 to help make some wing minutes come down for Zach who could use it leading the league in MPG's. 1 trade could do wonders for this team forcing Thibs closer to playing it how it should be played from a minutes perspective.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

khans2k5 wrote:I realize this is kind of beating a dead horse, but I think we can kill 2 birds with one stone with a Rubio trade to help this team significantly. If you can get a wing or a big who can eat up 30+ minutes to help either the Lavine/Wiggins or Dieng/Towns pairing get some much need additional rest during games, I think that kills one bird. That move also forces Thibs to play Tyus as backup PG and I think Tyus solves a lot of scoring consistency issues from the bench as the floor general of the offense. The guys knows when to step up and score and he knows how to setup teammates to score as well. I think he would stabilize the second unit to the point it might be more playable for longer periods of time. That would be the second bird killed. Ideally it's a big because in no world should Ricky and Dieng be playing 35+ minutes in a game. I think we'd see more Tyus and get some Dunn at the 2 to help make some wing minutes come down for Zach who could use it leading the league in MPG's. 1 trade could do wonders for this team forcing Thibs closer to playing it how it should be played from a minutes perspective.

Maybe. To be fair, I don't see Tyus Jones as a plus NBA scorer. He's not going to finish over length well. I can see him as a 10 points / 8 assists per Per 36 type of guy. Somebody who can come in and be a facilitator for the offense. But the Wolves already have that guy in Rubio. Jones can score "better"... but it's relative.

But we'd have to see Jones with significant minutes to know for certain. Bottom line is... something needs to be done. I'm open for just about anything at this point.

- Trade Rubio. Ok.
- Trade LaVine. There's legit value there. But Ok.
- Trade Wiggins. We can get all that back for him? Ok.
- Trade Towns... do we have to? What are we getting back? Ok. I guess.
- Dump Thibs and start over. Ok.
- Bring back Sam Mitchell with Kurt Rambis as his lead assistant. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Duke13

Post by Duke13 »

Kahns I agree completely with your "kill two birds with one stone", shocker I know. I think Tyus would help stablize the second unit, play Dunn at the two at times but I also think in time Dunn could help the first unit if given the chance. There is a learning curve with him obviously but what better time to see in what it looks like in a lost year. Lost in terms of going to the playoffs anyway. Something needs to be shaken up, this is the most logical move in my opinion.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

longstrangetrip wrote:
m4gor wrote:Hi guys, i have been lurking for a long time as i do not have much time to watch games this year, however to this topic of Rubio hurting team. Here is a nice video from bballbreakdown. Would be nice to hear ideas from you about it.

Good stuff, m4gor. Take a look at this guys...solid video support for the Rubio detractors here, plus a plea for more Tyus Jones.

That is a solid break down. I also like the extensive analysis the two individuals do after the film breakdown. They make a very strong case for Tyus Jones.

There is no question Ricky is having a down year and not having nearly the impact on our offensive efficiency as in years past. By the way, Thibs uses Dunn the exact same way, basically taking the ball out of his hands early and often in half court sets They are both used as floor spacers by Thibs, which seems like a terrible strategy when neither can shoot!

I have absolutely no problem trying to find ways to use Tyus Jones more.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Once again Ricky fails to even remotely keep his man in front of him leading to breakdown after breakdown on defense, add his terrible spacing to the mix and he is becoming more and more the most glaring problem on our team, can't wait until Thibs trades him and we instantly improve and the Thibs detractors will chalk it up to something dumb like Tom softening his practices!
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

BloopOracle wrote:Once again Ricky fails to even remotely keep his man in front of him leading to breakdown after breakdown on defense, add his terrible spacing to the mix and he is becoming more and more the most glaring problem on our team, can't wait until Thibs trades him and we instantly improve and the Thibs detractors will chalk it up to something dumb like Tom softening his practices![/quote]

I assume you're talking about Joakim Noah here, correct? He's the only person I have heard question publicly Thibs' brutal practices during the season. I'm not sure why we should listen to him though.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

Hello my friends, as I'm running slightly behind on this game (therefore not joining the GDT yet).

I enjoy reading/watching most breakdowns on the Wolves, but I don't really put much stock into the interview with the female reporter, as I think there's a lot she misses. For one, she continually talks up Tyus Jones, yet not once does she mention that he has primary played against 2nd and 3rd line players. She criticizes Ricky for not keeping Russell Westbrook, arguably the fastest player in the NBA with the ball in his hands, to the perimeter, yet never explains how Tyus matches up against a player like that. She indicated that Tyus is a solid defender, again a false statement at this point in time. She mentions that Tyus has an advanced game because he "started varsity since age 13". I guess somehow starting varsity in the Lake Conference in the state of Minnesota at age 13 is the same as playing pro ball at age 13 (which Ricky did) with grown men.

I'm not against trading Ricky if we can get some value for him because I don't think he fits Thib's system (Thibs wants the ball in our young wing players hands much more often as primary ball handlers, leaving Ricky to try to create space from the corner quite a bit), but to suggest that Tyus is the answer and that the Thib doesn't know what he's got with Tyus is a joke. She went as far to agree that because Thib wasn't with the team when we drafted Tyus, that perhaps the GM is pressuring him to play Dunn over him. Last I checked, Thib basically has full control on basketball operations.

That's not to say that Tyus can't be the 2nd PG on this roster in the long-term. I'm hopeful he can, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out why Thibodeau plays Dunn over Tyus. Thibs is a defensive coach, and Dunn's probably already our best isolation defender on our team, has better size than Tyus, more athleticism, and more upside. If this team is going to be the next perennial contender to come up through the ranks, it's going to lean heavily on creating a defensive mindset, especially against the NBA's best guards, and that's what he brings. And I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who suggests that 2nd year Tyus is better than Ricky (you know, the guy who's been our best +/- guy for the majority of the past 6 years, the guy who's amongst the league leaders in steals, assists, turnover ratio, etc.

Before anyone goes and thinks I'm just being a Ricky apologist. I agree he's having a down year. Part is him and part is the system. It's too bad he doesn't hit the shots consistently, but he's not the reason we're losing. DEFENSE is the reason we're losing. This team loses focus, which is a symptom of having multiple young players playing together. Our 3 main young stars are 21 years old. Why anyone thought this would be a top 10 defensive team this year is beyond me. Having a coach like Thib can change the mindset and defensive game plan, but you can't change habits overnight. Mark my words when I say this team will continually grow stronger on defense year to year as the young guys get older and gain focus/strength/knowledge.