Russell Westbrook on the trade block

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Re: Russell Westbrook on the trade block

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

I feel like Westbrook would be good for a year, maybe 2 and then fall apart.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

thedoper wrote:Yeah we shouldn't want to get Westbrook because it might upset our stability. Why veer from our storied history of failure now?

In all seriousness Westbrook is extremely problematic, but we're facing another pathetic year and surprise, surprise, this league is all about stars. I'd bet Westbrook would play out of his mind the first year of that trade. He's the ultimate chip on his shoulder player.

Your last couple of sentences capture part of my interest. I think the resale value on Westbrook could be pretty damn good. So, if the Wolves were somehow miraculously fortunate enough to land Westbrook for a deal that included Wiggins, Teague, and a first-round pick, I think that would be an absolute steal despite the risks that come with Westbrook's remaining salary and persona.

Westbrook in a new situation could very well spark him to play much better than he has the last two seasons. Could very well be a "prove it" type season. I think then Minnesota could flip him to a team closer to making that leap to contender status for a much better haul than what you spent to get him.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

BizarroJerry wrote:I feel like Westbrook would be good for a year, maybe 2 and then fall apart.

This is still the NBA and not the NFL. Guys aren't done once they hit 30. I think people underestimate what Russ would look like on a team with KAT and Covington at the 4-5 stretching the floor for him. 30-34 is still gonna be mostly prime years and if not all prime years for Russ. Not just one or two. He's one of the greatest athletes the game has had. He's not gonna age the same as a normal player. If guys like Wade and Lebron can be all-stars during their early 30's I see no reason Russ can't with less minutes on his body.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I think OKC would want Culver without a doubt along with a 1st and then some combination of Teague/Dieng and NOT Wiggins. So are folks willing to give up Culver, a future 1st, and have Wiggins stay?

Q12543 wrote:I think OKC would want Culver without a doubt along with a 1st and then some combination of Teague/Dieng and NOT Wiggins. So are folks willing to give up Culver, a future 1st, and have Wiggins stay?

I honestly don't think the Thunder are in a position where they can demand that much of a return for him. Additionally, the Wolves will not be involved unless Wiggins' contract is involved somehow.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Camden wrote:
Q12543 wrote:I think OKC would want Culver without a doubt along with a 1st and then some combination of Teague/Dieng and NOT Wiggins. So are folks willing to give up Culver, a future 1st, and have Wiggins stay?

I honestly don't think the Thunder are in a position where they can demand that much of a return for him. Additionally, the Wolves will not be involved unless Wiggins' contract is involved somehow.

Then my guess is that a deal with us is a long shot.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

Camden0916 wrote:

Exactly. Their leverage is the trade market and the offers they get. They can't trade him before the season and expect to get anything close to a haul unless 2+ teams desperately want him.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

TheGrey08 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Exactly. Their leverage is the trade market and the offers they get. They can't trade him before the season and expect to get anything close to a haul unless 2+ teams desperately want him.

I think Miami desperately wants Westbrook. The problem is that Miami has already given away pretty much all it's future picks. But Miami still has Bam and Josh Richardson and I'm sure Miami would be willing to give up at least one if not both of them to get Westbrook. And the Heat also have some big contracts they could include to match Westbrook's salary. OKC and the Heat might need to get a 3rd team involved, but ultimately I see Westbrook going to Miami to team with Jimmy Butler.

lipoli390 wrote:
TheGrey08 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

I think Miami desperately wants Westbrook. The problem is that Miami has already given away pretty much all it's future picks. But Miami still has Bam and Josh Richardson and I'm sure Miami would be willing to give up at least one if not both of them to get Westbrook. And the Heat also have some big contracts they could include to match Westbrook's salary. OKC and the Heat might need to get a 3rd team involved, but ultimately I see Westbrook going to Miami to team with Jimmy Butler.

Josh Richardson is a member of the Philadelphia 76ers and I can't imagine Miami trading Bam Adebayo now that Hassan Whiteside is gone. Their offers could revolve around one talented rookie from Kentucky -- Tyler Herro -- but I'd bet that they're trying to use Justise Winslow as tradebait instead. If that's the case, then I don't see Russell Westbrook winding up in Miami.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
TheGrey08 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Josh Richardson is a member of the Philadelphia 76ers and I can't imagine Miami trading Bam Adebayo now that Hassan Whiteside is gone. Their offers could revolve around one talented rookie from Kentucky -- Tyler Herro -- but I'd bet that they're trying to use Justise Winslow as tradebait instead. If that's the case, then I don't see Russell Westbrook winding up in Miami.

Whoops. Meant Winslow. I just can't get Josh Richardson off my mind given how badly I wanted him last season. :) I think Pat Riley would give up almost anything, including Bam, to get Westbrook. Pat would figure he could find a big guy somewhere from a summer league roster or among the remaining free agents. One possible deal would be Bam, Hero, Johnson and Dragic. OKC gets two talented young players and salary relief next season with expiration of Dragic's contract and more salary relief the following year with Johnson's expiring contract. They'd also have a good PG in Dragic along with Adams and others to avoid being a total wreck this next season. As for Miami - they get the player Pat Riley covets as he attempts to catapult his team to relevancy. Westbrook is a Pat Riley kind of player as is Jimmy. I'd be willing to wager it will happen.