Russell Westbrook on the trade block

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Phenom

Re: Russell Westbrook on the trade block

Post by Phenom »

Miami is short on picks. In fact the Thunder already have 2 of their picks from the recent Paul George trade. Trading Russ to Miami probably devalues those picks, especially that 2021 unprotected pick. Trading Russ to Miami would take some serious luster off that recent haul.

I notice some real recency bias towards an expected package for Russ. You can't compare a potential Russ trade with the PG trade. That PG trade was a perfect storm once a lifetime deal. Right now should be a perfect storm for buying low on Russ. Many teams have made many transactions recently taking away a great deal of flexibility to make a move for such a high salary guy. Point guard is the deepest position in the league currently so not many are going to be desperate to make a move. The Wolves should be able to field a competitive offer when you look at who else is realistically put their hat in the ring.

The Thunder still undoubtedly want to get under the tax for this year. If the Wolves could facilitate getting Teague and Roberson (one year deals) to Atlanta with Wiggins to OKC and Westbrook to Minny it would help OKC get under the tax. That should have some real value for them. It remains to be seen what kind of picks would need to be added to make this happen.
Sundog [enjin:18897165]

Post by Sundog [enjin:18897165] »

I think obtaining Westbrook would cost more than the Wolves should give up and destabilize what appears to be a thoughtful approach to putting a winning team around KAT for the future. I hope and expect that Rosas doesn't get too far down this path.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:Miami is short on picks. In fact the Thunder already have 2 of their picks from the recent Paul George trade. Trading Russ to Miami probably devalues those picks, especially that 2021 unprotected pick. Trading Russ to Miami would take some serious luster off that recent haul.

I notice some real recency bias towards an expected package for Russ. You can't compare a potential Russ trade with the PG trade. That PG trade was a perfect storm once a lifetime deal. Right now should be a perfect storm for buying low on Russ. Many teams have made many transactions recently taking away a great deal of flexibility to make a move for such a high salary guy. Point guard is the deepest position in the league currently so not many are going to be desperate to make a move. The Wolves should be able to field a competitive offer when you look at who else is realistically put their hat in the ring.

The Thunder still undoubtedly want to get under the tax for this year. If the Wolves could facilitate getting Teague and Roberson (one year deals) to Atlanta with Wiggins to OKC and Westbrook to Minny it would help OKC get under the tax. That should have some real value for them. It remains to be seen what kind of picks would need to be added to make this happen.

You make a good point. What if Miami removes their protections on that later pick and gives up another pick? They could also add in a Herro too. There is also a real chance Butler and Westbrook in Miami isn't good in 2021. Both guys have some injury risk. I agree the Thunder probably aren't going to get a PG deal but I think OKC likely gets salary savings for maybe both his year and beyond while adding 2 other assets. Whether the reports of Detroit being interested is true or not it does make sense. Snell can't be traded in a deal for what like 30 days after being dealt from the Bucks or maybe that doesn't matter now since it's a new league year. Regardless that likely isn't going to hold up a trade being agreed to.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

You hav to ask yourself, will going after Westbrook make Towns happy or not . Because right or wrong this team hinges on him sticking around .
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Sundog wrote:I think obtaining Westbrook would cost more than the Wolves should give up and destabilize what appears to be a thoughtful approach to putting a winning team around KAT for the future. I hope and expect that Rosas doesn't get too far down this path.

I agree, Sundog. The fact that Rosas hasn't signed Culver yet indicates he's contemplating the possibility of trading him - perhaps as part of getting Westbrook. I sure hope not.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lip do you ever chat up or just have a conversation with any folks while you are there at summer league? Fellow fans? Media folks? Scott Layden? Lol Anyone there have any fun takes you would be willing to share on some thread on Westbrook or anything else around the NBA?
Tactical unit

Post by Tactical unit »

Has Rosas said anything about Wiggins? I am wondering might Wiggins be part of his plan and looking at him as part of a big three no matter what the fan base thinks about Wiggins. A deal of young players and a pick with salary filler for Westbrook seems like a possibility where Wiggins just ends up staying in MN and Rosas bets on Wiggins panning out.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:Lip do you ever chat up or just have a conversation with any folks while you are there at summer league? Fellow fans? Media folks? Scott Layden? Lol Anyone there have any fun takes you would be willing to share on some thread on Westbrook or anything else around the NBA?

Check out my last post in the Culver thread about a conversation I had with a firmer Texas Tech classmate of Jarrett.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Bobby Marks on ESPN says to watch Detroit & Minnesota as Westbrook destinations.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Yeah we shouldn't want to get Westbrook because it might upset our stability. Why veer from our storied history of failure now?

In all seriousness Westbrook is extremely problematic, but we're facing another pathetic year and surprise, surprise, this league is all about stars. I'd bet Westbrook would play out of his mind the first year of that trade. He's the ultimate chip on his shoulder player.