Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TheFuture

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by TheFuture »

thedoper wrote:Will Aaron Nesmith be there at 16? Wouldnt he be a no brainer in that spot? I dont see anyway this kid wont be an asset in the NBA. 69% TS at legit usage 26%. Im not sure even the Timberwolves could ruin his shot.

I'd draft that guy in the 5-10 range.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

TheFuture wrote:
thedoper wrote:Will Aaron Nesmith be there at 16? Wouldnt he be a no brainer in that spot? I dont see anyway this kid wont be an asset in the NBA. 69% TS at legit usage 26%. Im not sure even the Timberwolves could ruin his shot.

I'd draft that guy in the 5-10 range.

I think I would too. I dont anticipate the Wolves taking a risk though. They will follow consensus like the did last year and end up with another stiff.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Devin Vassell and Saddiq Bey are better than Aaron Nesmith, but Nesmith is a fine prospect.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:Devin Vassell and Saddiq Bey are better than Aaron Nesmith, but Nesmith is a fine prospect.

Why do you believe Bey is better than Nesmith? I agree on Vassell.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Beal is likely held out of the "playoff". Nets pick likely to be ours.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Let's say you had the option of a having a 1st round pick this draft or the next draft and they were going to be similar in draft position which one would you rather have?

I ask because:

This draft is meh but maybe deep in worthwhile players.

This draft may have more competitive sample size games to draw on than the next one.

Next draft could be a real crap shoot If college guys hardly play which may also mean you COULD get the next high level player just about anywhere in that draft.

If you draft a guy this year and it's a shortened season you lose value On the court, possibly development as well and a year of a cheap contract. Pushing out another season might have a little more value especially if it's a lower pick with lower salary.

An open roster spot this coming season (whatever that looks like) has value even if it means just saving money not cutting someone or absorbing a contract in a trade maybe even for a small asset.

There could be value in moving a pick this year for a pick next year. Obviously if there is a guy you like this year you take him but there are some unique considerations the next couple years.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

TheFuture wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:The wolves can end up anywhere between 1-7. My top 7 prospects at the moment for the wolves are.

1) Edwards
2) Halliburton
3) Ball
4) Hayes
5) Avadji
6) Vassely
7) POKUSEVSKI

Honorable mentions: Cole Anthony, Toppin, Nesmith, RJ Hampton

No Wiseman? How come?

Also, why do you like Hayes so much? I have trouble seeing any serious potential in a PG that only uses one hand.

I've mentioned it a couple of times in this form but I just really devalue the importance of the center position in todays NBA. I honestly believe if Wiseman doesn't become an all NBA player it would be a bad pick because you can pick up a good center in the NBA for pretty much nothing now a days. Even if Wiseman became an All NBA Center I don't know how much those players have proven they effect winning. The 5 best centers in the NBA currently are Davis, Towns, Embiid, Jokic, Gobert. They have a grand total of 0 Conference Finals games (Davis has a decent chance to break that streak). Since the 2010-2011 there have been a total of 27 All NBA Centers a grand total of 1 Center (Tim Duncan) made a conference final in the year they made All NBA (3.7%). Even in that year Tiago Splitter was actually the starting Center that year. Its been since the Mavs one the NBA title in 2011 where a teams top 2 player was a big man and won a title.

Also don't think Wiseman will destroy in the NBA, I think he will be a very good rim runner and a good rebounder for sure. But massive question marks about his shooting ability, passing, ball handling and reports about his motor give me cautious. Also I think there is a just a belief that Wiseman will be a elite defender because of his body frame and athleticism (What I agree are pretty special) but guys like KAT, WCS, Bismack Biyumbo, Mo Bamba etc.. were supposed to be elite defenders coming out of college and all of those guys are average at best. I think it is really hard to project NBA defense for big guys because it is so different in college.

I also think putting a defensive center next to Kat really doesn't solve our issues. Still think teams run 1-4 PnR on the wolves all day against Kat. With smaller teams like the Clippers will iso Paul George on Kat all day. Just don't think it solves the defensive issue.

I think in terms of winning drafting Wiseman at 3 lets say and drafting Jalen Smith at 33 would be very little difference in terms of actual impact towards winning on the court. Im big into all ways take the wing or guards of Centers in todays NBA. (This doesn't mean you don't use centers like the rockets they just don't impact winning as much).

With Hayes, I agree that his one hand is a big problem and it is a big hole. In this draft that has a lot of people with gigantic holes in their game I just think if everything worked out perfectly Hayes has a higher upside then the majority of guys in this draft. Once again I do think it is a pretty crappy draft though.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

I'd love to see us get Toppin. I think he's the most 'Rodman-like' of the top 5 and that's what we need. A mad dunker as well.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

BizarroJerry wrote:I'd love to see us get Toppin. I think he's the most 'Rodman-like' of the top 5 and that's what we need. A mad dunker as well.

Curious how you get Rodman out of Toppin. Toppin averaged 6.5 rebounds in his college career and might be the worst defender as a prospect in the last 3 drafts. Also he is a full year older then Okogie
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

This is why I hate this draft. Here is consensus top 5 pick LaMelo Ball against one of the best teams in Australia, the NZ Breakers (RJ Hampton's team)

https://twitter.com/DaRealBootum/status/1276642657784205312